“Unimpressed and Slightly Dissapointed”

Hampton Inn Meriden - Wallingford
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Meriden
Reviewed 25 June 2012

The Hampton Inn brand has come a long way in the past several years by providing good value and nice accommodations. However, I found my stay at this property to be slightly disappointing. The check in process took a bit longer than usual but that is certainly understandable. My disappointment started with the walk from the front desk to the elevators in that the place appeared to be dark and uninviting which is unusual, and the elevator was tired and felt as if the place was not up to Hilton/Hampton Inn standards. Okay, still not a big deal but it did not feel right.

Upon entering my room I realized that this was one of the smallest hotel rooms ever. I have to fair and say that It was clean and everything was in order.

The bottom line is that sadly, this is first Hampton Inn I have been to that will not be on my list for future stays.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business

Dear DAL0714:

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I am sorry to hear you did not have a fantastic stay. I am glad the room was clean and in order, and I understand your disappointment with the room size. We appreciate and value our repeat Hilton customers and I hope when you are in the area again you will give us a second chance. If you are heading this way again please contact me, Laura.Arneson@interstatehotels.com or (203) 235-5154. Thank you again for sharing your experience.

There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn Meriden - Wallingford

Reviewed 21 June 2012

I often stay at the Hampton Inn when I visit family in Wallingford and Meriden. I have always been impressed with both the facility and the service. After a long absence from staying there I walked into the lobby/lounge and was "wow-ed" by the remodel. I also remember the first time I stayed there being very impressed with the high end room furnishings.

During my most recent visit I had a long wait in the lobby for my friends to show up. It was crazy busy and I watched the staff dealing with a multitude of requests. The Director of Sales was greeting a group in the lobby and giving endless directions to all sorts of food requests and giving help with a car wash location for someone who wanted to avoid the golf tournament traffic. I was especially touched watching the staff help a very senior gentleman load his electric wheelchair into his car. Clearly they have the teamwork thing down pat.

Its a great place and I look forward to staying at the hotel when I come up to CT.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo

Dear KenBsailor:

Thank you so much for the kind words about your stay at The Hampton Inn Meriden-Wallingford. We are very proud of our newly renovated lobby area and love to hear how much our guests enjoy it as well. I can't wait to share your teamwork comments with my team!

Thanks again for sharing your experience.

Reviewed 16 June 2012

It was a very frustrating experience. We were staying at the hotel because my daughter had an important swim meet at Wesleyan University. When I called to make the reservation, I asked if we could have a late check out - as late as 4:00. I was told that if the hotel was not full, it would not be a problem. We would just have to pay a half day rate.

When I called the night before we were to check out, as I was instructed, the front desk clerk said she had never heard of such a thing and would have to call the manager. I asked if the hotel was full, she said no there were open rooms. I told her I was concerned because I had flown from Michigan and had made the reservation at the hotel BECAUSE I was told it was possible to have the afternoon for her to rest before her evening finals. She said she would have to call the manager.

She called back in 15 minutes and informed me the manager said we could not have a late check out - even though I was willing to pay a half day rate. When I objected saying it did not make sense because they would make money by us staying, she said she could not help me and had to follow the directions of her manager.

I then called a different hotel and made reservations for the next afternoon. They were willing to have me pay a half day rate for a hotel room - even though I had not stayed there for the weekend.

Beyond that - I am not impressed with the room. the size is small, beds were not very comfortable, and there was a smell in the room. The cleaning person did not clean the room and never brought fresh towels.

I will never stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank tache123

Dear Tachel23:

I am so very sorry to hear you had a frustrating experience at my hotel. I would love to speak with you more about your experience. My email address is Laura.Arneson@interstatehotels.com or you can call me at (203) 235-5154.

Reviewed 31 May 2012

Poor planning on my part, I guess. All hotels in the New Haven area were booked solid the weekend of Yale University's commencement, so we had to book a hotel that was farther afield (we usually stay at the Omni New Haven, but lack of foresight ruled this option out). This Hampton Inn in Meriden was the best option, other than paying outrageous prices for something closer but not as good.

When we checked in, there seemed to be some issues with other guests and their rooms being ready, although it was past 5 pm. Fortunately, I believe we got the last available cleaned room (reason given for this: "lack of adequate staffing", whatever that means). Rooms are on the smallish side. We usually book a room with two queen beds, but at this Hampton the only two-bed option was for two doubles, not queens. The room's dimensions made this understandable, as tywo quuen beds would have made for a tight fit. The fitness room (such as it is) has only three pieces of equipment: bike, treadmill & step machine. As with Hampton Inns, breakfast was included: the usual stuff, nothing special at all. Could do worse, I guess.

On the plus side, the hotel is conveniently located near the highway, so getting to New Haven was relatively easy. All in all, I was glad we were able to get a room on somewhat short notice, but definitely would have preferred to stay in New Haven at the Omni. Oh well . . .

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank ENBB
Laura A, General Manager at Hampton Inn Meriden - Wallingford, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2012

ENBB:

Thank you for sharing your experience with TripAdvisor. Yale graduation must have been fun and I am glad we were available and convenient for your trip to the special celebration. It is hard to compare us to The Omni where you usually stay, but I am glad you found us to be convenient and adequate. Our rooms are a bit small to accommodate two queen beds; the full size beds leave more room to enjoy the space of our newly renovated rooms. We are scheduled for a complete renovation of our fitness facility before the end of 2012 which will be exciting for our guests. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and hope if you're ever in the area again you will come back and stay with us.

Reviewed 14 May 2012 via mobile

We recently stayed at this hotel for 4 nights because the hotel we usually stay at in Wallingford was booked up. I have to say, we were pleasantly surprised; this place is a gem! The rooms were very clean and comfortable. The lobby and breakfast area were very welcoming and stylish. The location is ideal, close to the interstate and all major routes. Best of all, the rates were well below what we are used to paying in Wallingford. We will be back!

• Stayed: April 2012

MrKite58:

I am so happy to hear you were pleasantly surprised with your stay at my hotel. We are very convenient even if you're travelling to nearby towns; our highway access makes it a breeze. Room cleanliness can make or break an experience and is rated as a top priority for our guests therefore we focus on ensuring our rooms are clean and comfortable for our guests. Thank you for sharing your comments and we hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 8 May 2012

The level of service in Meriden far exceeds Hampton norms. All the staff I encountered was friendly and helpful. The general manager -- who seemed to have stationed herself just outside the front desk during the morning checkout -- asked about the quality of my stay. It's good to know that glitches will be corrected for the next guest, a great example of a process of continuous improvement.

This property is located for is just off of Interstate 91, south of Hartford. A convenient location, but its near proximity to the highway makes for a noisy environment. Be sure to book a room on the side of the hotel opposite the highway. If you’re a light sleeper, keep driving.

Room Tip: Rooms on the side of the hotel opposite the highway are quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business

HiltonDiamond1:

Wow what a glowing review! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am so delighted you enjoyed your trip to Meriden. I shared your comments with our team and they were so excited to hear all the wonderful details. Our highway side rooms do get a bit more noise but you can't beat the location! Thank you again for sharing your experience.

Reviewed 4 April 2012

Very helpful and hospitable staff, great breakfast, clean and comfortable rooms

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Casher_2000:

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay in Meriden! Thank you for sharing your experience with TripAdvisor. I am excited to share your comments with my team. I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Laura Arneson

Also consider these accommodations in or near Meriden
Comfort Inn & Suites Conference Center
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Hartford Meriden
Homewood Suites Wallingford-Meriden
Hilton Garden Inn Wallingford / Meriden
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Meriden
Four Points by Sheraton Meriden

Been to Hampton Inn Meriden - Wallingford? Share your experiences!