“Restful Respite”

Inn at Middletown
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Middletown
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We needed a place to stay when a family member was rushed to the Middlesex Hospital. We were told by the hospital staff that it was very close by and right near some nice restaurants.

We found the staff to be very friendly (cookies on the desk were yummy and took the edge off), the room and bathroom were large, clean and very quiet. Bedding was very comfortable and we found it to be a lovely respite after spending a difficult day at the hospital.

There is a tavern in the hotel for dinner and breakfast is available but pricey. Parking on the street is available and there is a lot two blocks from the hotel.

I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
InnatMiddletown, General Manager at Inn at Middletown, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2013

I am so glad that you were able to enjoy your stay with us at the Inn at Middletown under what I am sure was a streeful time for you. With our location only a block away from the hospital I hope it made things easier for you. Hopefully you will stay with us again under different circumstances. I will share your nice comments to my entire team.

Reviewed 1 September 2013

The Inn at Middletown provides a good experience. The staff is courteous and helpful; the rooms are clean and up to date; the service and food at the attached tavern is very good; and the breakfast service and food is very good. The gym is on the small side, but it was there at least. My only real suggestion for improvement would be that management should recognize that Internet service is really not seen as an option these days... so when it stops working (as it did during our stay) it really should not be left to the next morning to fix it. I'd go back.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank EricW4555
InnatMiddletown, General Manager at Inn at Middletown, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

I am so glad that you enjoyed your overall experience at the Inn at Middletown. I appreciate your comments regarding the internet and we are addressing the issue as we have increased our bandwidth and are installing new industrial routers on each floor. Thank you for choosing us.

Reviewed 29 August 2013

This is the last hotel my daughter & I stayed in during our college tour week. She liked it very much - a bit more than I did. The room was typical & average - could use an update but perhaps the decor was just not to my liking. Also thought the bathroom floor could have been a bit cleaner. But overall our stay was very pleasant.

It was easy to walk to any restaurant in downtown Middletown not to mention the 2 blocks to Wesleyan. The hotel staff was also very helpful - would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for choosing the Inn at Middletown for your visit to Wesleyan University. Our location is perfect for exploring the city and the university. We hope to see you in the future if your daughter decides to attend the university.

Reviewed 1 August 2013

Charming Inn with excellent food in the Tavern. The Tavern service was prompt and friendly. The location is right on the Town's Main Street, so it is close to everything. Friendly local crowd in the Tavern.

Room Tip: Stay on the main floor if possible.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
InnatMiddletown, General Manager at Inn at Middletown, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2013

Thank you for your kind words regarding not only the Inn at Middletown but our wonderful Tavern at the Armory. The tavern as you saw is not just another hotel restaurant it is a great dining experience. Our staff is great and I am so happy that they made your experience a memorable one.

Reviewed 1 August 2013

I stayed at this Inn for a planned organization event, but was impressed by the facility and staff from the moment I arrived on Friday noon to the moment I left on Sunday afternoon. The staff were pleasant, engaging, highly accommodating and very professional. The food for our conference events (breakfast, lunch, dinner, teas and desserts) was delicious and plenty of it. The rooms were lovely - somewhat standard in nature - but very clean, well maintained, large enough for the extra bed we required, and again, the staff was highly responsive to every requirement. It is a lovely place to stay, you will feel pampered, and I highly recommend it. I did not use the pool or gym so cannot comment on those. But all else was of the highest order. (They could give courses to other Inns in how to do it right!) I will go back and stay there again any time I need to visit that area of Connecticut, and recommend it without reserve.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Inn at Middletown. Your comments will be shared with my entire team as your words are a great example of a team. All working together for the guest and making there experience a memorable one. We hope to see you again the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed 23 July 2013

Stayed for two nights in June 2013 while attending a function at the hotel. I've stayed at every hotel in the Middletown/Cromwell area and the Inn at Middletown is, by far, the best.

The rooms are clean and in good operating order. The decor is a rather old fashioned, colonial style, which is not my taste, but I'm sure it suits some people and fits with the theme of the inn.

What really sets this hotel apart from others in the area is the staff. They were universally friendly, attentive and professional, even when dealing with crowds of party guests and families with young children.

There are two restaurants on site ... a traditional restaurant called The Tavern, and a bar. The food is only OK. Not terrible, but I would not eat there if I weren't staying in the hotel.

As other reviewers have mentioned, the hotel offers paid valet parking and gives directions to overnight parking about three blocks away in a shopping center parking lot. However, we found plenty of on-street parking.

The pool and hot-tub are in good condition and clean. The gym is a little basic with just a few treadmills and a stationary bike, but everything was in working order.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
InnatMiddletown, General Manager at Inn at Middletown, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2013

On behalf of the everyone at the Inn at Middletown I want to thank you for your kind words regarding the level of service you experienced at the property. It is the one thing we most pride ourselves in and that is the way we take care of every single guest that walks through our doors. I hope you come back and stay with us again if you are back in the area.

Reviewed 6 July 2013

We were in town for a wedding and stayed here based on the recommendation of the bride's family. The room was nice, clean, and the bathroom was immaculate. The staff was helpful and welcoming.

Our view overlooked a back parking lot, which I assumed was the Inn's guest lot. This was not the case. The lot was for the valet parking. Those who did not want to use the valet had to park 2 blocks away behind a strip mall. That was a little disappointing especially walking back to the Inn at night.

Food at the Tavern at the Armory was good but on the expensive side. We had some pub fare our arrive day and breakfast the day we left.

Signage could be improved. It was difficult to actually find the Inn. It is tucked in in a strip of shops on the main drag and the sign is difficult to spot as you drive by. We weren't the only ones in our group to pass by it and have to turn around to locate it.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
InnatMiddletown, General Manager at Inn at Middletown, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2013

Thank you for your kind words regarding your stay at the Inn at Middletown. We pride ourselves on delivering first class service to our guests and I am glad we did that. In regards to parking we have both self parking and valet available. Our self is behind the hotel about a half a block away and you can use your guest room key to access the rear of the hotel which is pretty convienient. We are looking to replace the front signage down the road and we appreciate the feedback on that issue.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Middletown
Courtyard Hartford Cromwell
Hilton Garden Inn Wallingford / Meriden
Saybrook Point Inn & Spa
Saybrook Point Inn & Spa
#1 of 7 in Old Saybrook

Been to Inn at Middletown? Share your experiences!