“Above Average All Around”

Hilton Garden Inn Milford
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Milford
Reviewed 9 April 2010

I recently stayed at this property for a night before a business engagement. This property is the first I have seen to have a few 10 minute parking spaces very close to the main entry. Brilliant idea! A Porte Cochere is great, however there are some folks that like to park in the middle, park at an angle, park in front of the ramp-entry, feel that they need to unload, take their bags to their room, THEN come back and move their vehicle, and just generally behave like they've never left their own driveway. I was able to pull up, park, check in, move my car to unload, and not have to worry being in the way of anyone else or have anyone else in my way for that matter. I digress...
The hotel was very clean, very bright, well lit, and the front desk staff was friendly, and willing to help out.
The American Grille was great. Since I was only in town for one night and I arrived after 6:00pm, I really didn't feel like going out to explore or find some place to eat. Great food, great service, great people-watching with guests coming and going.
The only complaint about the hotel is that I had to change rooms due to a lack of TV signal in my first room. I called the front desk, the guy from 'engineering' was at my door within minutes, did a few diagnostic checks and determined that it was the signal coming in from the source, asked me if I would like to change rooms - and I said yes, and he arrived back at my door within minutes with a new key for a room on the same floor. WOW they bumped me up to a really nice suite from a standard room. The rooms was huge and had a couch, chair, desk, sofa table, wet-bar, and coffee table. There was 1 and 1/2 baths! Very nice room - a shame I was only there for a single night!
This property is very new, and in great repair. Rooms are clean, bright, comfortable, and very nice.
Nice location, very easy to find, you can't go wrong with the HGI Milford.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 28 March 2010

We were in town for an anniversary party and didn't know the area at all. The Hilton Garden Inn had a good price ($89) and I generally like Hilton brand hotels so we booked there for ourselves and my mom/dad. Our rooms were nice! Lots of room, very clean, good toiletries. The only odd thing was that they only had showers - maybe this is true for the chain, I am not sure.

The staff was great, pool was clean, beds were comfortable, wireless was free. Overall it was a very good experience at a good price.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 December 2009

Stopped with my family for the night while driving from Virginia to Massachusetts. Pleasantly surprised to find this hotel. It was clean, new, and extremely comfortable. In particular, the bed was quite comfy! Breakfast was quick and nice - the fare was what one might expect - and the staff was particularly helpful and friendly. Nice stay - I would have been happy to spend a few more nights.

Reviewed 7 December 2009

Put this hotel in a different setting, and you'd have a gem.
Got a fabulous rate via Priceline and enjoyed excellent accommodations for less than the cheesy Super 8/Motel6/Econolodge places that are all along the shoreline in Connecticut.
Modern hotel with nice decor, spacious rooms, intelligently designed furnishings (great desk and ergonomic chair setup, flat-screen TV, microwave and small fridge). Nice indoor pool, decent fitness center. Free wifi, free parking, friendly staff.
OK, so the best thing to say about the location is "convenient to the highway." It's a reasonably safe neighborhood, I suppose, but flat-out ugly: A big-box Lowe's alongside the hotel, lots of asphalt, gas station & truck stops down the road, and the whine of I-95 traffic nearby. But the highway noise didn't reach my fourth-floor room at all.
Would cheerfully stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 October 2009

I combined a business trip on Friday Oct. 2 and a Lafayette-Yale football game at the Yale Bowl. Nice new hotel (opened March 18, 2009) located right off I-95 exit 40, but far enough away from highway you dont hear anything. Traditional Hilton Garden Inn with indoor pool and on-premise restaurant which I had a nice filling breakfast before heading to the yale Bowl in West Haven, CT. Best of all Lafayette beat Yale in football for the first time ever (in 8 tries dating back to 1912), 31-14. So a good trip indeed!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 September 2009

I only stayed for one night. When I arrived, there was (literally) no one at the front desk. Well...there was one other guest ahead of me.

No Bell.
No Camera.
No Front Desk Person.

I stood for a few minutes and though the attendant was tardy, she was also friendly.

The room is what you would expect from an HGI - nothing especially luxe, but very comfortable. The hotel is situated right off the interstate - you access it through the same road as you would a Lowes hardware store. There are a few restaurants nearby, a truck stop and a few gas stations.

Breakfast, while also nothing too variant from other HGI's, was met with more inattentive staff. I was told that I could sit wherever I wanted (which was easy since no one else was there).

There was also no chef (they usually make omelets, waffles, etc to order).
I was not asked if I wanted coffee.
I was only approached around 7 minutes after I sat down.

Altogether, this was not a very great or consistent experience with a Hilton Garden Inn. I don't expect top of the line treatment when I stay at one, but I expect to be acknowledged of my own existence in a room.

Would I stay again? Probably (I'm an HHonors Gold member and I'm working my way towards Diamond this year).

Would I stay on vacation? No.

There are a lot of other places in Southern CT to stay, ones that show a more consistent experience than this one...

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 July 2009

The Hilton Garden Inn was our choice for our stay in Milford after running scared from the HoJos. What a relief! The lobby is lovely, the grounds are well maintained and the customer service is top notch. Great prices for military/government employees and well worth it. The fitness room is well equipped, including complimentary fresh fruit! There are also free cookies at the front desk in the late afternoon/evening. The beds are super comfortable, the rooms spacious and the microwave is appreciated (except the other night there was an evacuation when someone set off the alarms by heating a corndog in its wrapper). Only cons so far.. I think the floors are thin because we could hear whoever above us stomp around, but they were also excessively noisy. Also had some minor issue with the laundry; the listed price is 1.50 but it is actually 1.75 per load of washing, another 1.75 for the dryer and also the machine is faulty (sometimes the machine won't start) however the staff assisted us in a timely manner. You have to log into WiFi once every 24 hours but it's complimentary so who's complaining. The free printing is also a major plus. Overall we're extremely happy we chose the HGI over HoJos; paid twice as much but the standard is well worth it.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Milford
Hyatt Place Milford/New Haven
#3 of 13 in Milford
New Haven Village Suites
New Haven Village Suites
#5 of 12 in New Haven

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Milford? Share your experiences!