“thanks tripadvisor”

Bistro Basque
Ranked #10 of 248 Restaurants in Milford
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Good for: Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Santa Barbara, California, USA
“thanks tripadvisor”
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We turned to tripadvisor for an unplanned stop over in Milford, CT. We were making our way back home from a great trip in Maine, and thought our culinary experiences were behind us. We ended up staying in Milford for the night and found this great restaurant through tripadvisor. We decided to split some tapas dishes rather than the standard entrees. We had a good mix of sea food, vegetables, and meat. Each dish totally stood on its own, and they were delicious. We were lucky to get in on the early side on a Saturday night, and the place we filled during the prime time for dinner. Great energy, exceptional taste, and a very competent and warm staff. Again, thanks, tripadvisor and the contributors.

Stamford, Connecticut, United States
“Undiscovered gem”
Reviewed 24 August 2013

This place is amazing. They have lots of tapas, and several main plates, along with salads. And they have a great wine selection - all by the glass or by the bottle. The flavors were just right - very subtle for the cheese sauce with the Brussels sprouts (we loved this, even though the sprouts are far from our favorite vegetable!), and very strong for the manchego on the cheese plate. The service was wonderful - our waiter was helpful with menu suggestions and explanations, and very attentive. And their outdoor garden is so light and airy. It was a fabulous experience. Try it!!!

Beaufort, South Carolina
“A Nice Evening”
Reviewed 23 August 2013 via mobile

Let me preface this review by saying that I have been coming to the beach in Milford for over 50 years. I can probably count on two hands the number of times we have eaten out.
We started with a glass if wine. My husband enjoyed his Cote du Rhone. There are only 4 whites by the glass on the menu. Our server only knew the Chardonnay was French. I decided to try it . I took one swallow and my mouth puckered so much I thought it was grapefruit juice! I asked to try the Sauvignon Blanc and it was better but still very "grapefruity". We were not charged for the Chardonnay.
We each ordered a salad- a beet and endive and a mesclun greens with vinaigrette . Ample and delicious. (Just an aside here- is anyone bored with the beet salad yet? Can we change it up a bit? Every restaurant, every city in America).
My entree was the salmon and hubby had mahi mahi. Both generous and yum!
For dessert we ordered the Pave au Chocolat to share and two decaf cappuccinos. The dessert is a mousse in a chocolate shell in a raspberry and cream sauce. Very good but I think that chocolate kept me awake most of the night . We finished our dessert but never received our cappuccinos. The manager came by and asked if we still wanted them (they were understaffed). We said no but really don't make excuses.
Overall the management did their best to correct any errors and our food was really delicious.
Just FYI- the restaurant can be quite nice for a cozy dinner. We had a table in a corner. But one side of the restaurant is 4 tops and 2 tops with chairs to the
outside and a cushioned banquette against the wall. This is way less intimate and not a good place to sit if you plan on having a break-up drink, intense personal conversation or any conversation where the female might be in tears etc. Get my drift? We witnessed this and I can only say they should of had the table in the corner!
But overall a nice meal.

1 Thank Edie S
Ardmore, Pennsylvania
“Excellent crossing of the Spanish-French border culinarily”
Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

We had some excellent dishes and enjoyed the very personable wait-staff. This small kitchen turns out a lot of high quality food! A few mixed seafood dishes were not special. The middle dining room was unbelieveably loud and dark at night. Too few restrooms per tables. Highly recommended!

“Sensational Dinner!”
Reviewed 11 August 2013

The fille mignon was the most delicious that I have ever eaten. It was served with a pepper sauce that was especially good and the meat was tender. It was perfect. If we sound enthusiastic about this restaurant, we are! The service was excellent and the waiters were polite and attentive. It was a beautiful evening, and we ate outside which was fun and romantic. It was obvious that many of the patrons were local, because they greeted each other as they came in. By seven o'clock on an August Saturday night it was filled. We will return on our way back from Maine, and we can't wait.

Visited August 2013

Been to Bistro Basque? Share your experiences!