Winvian
BW Premier Collection The Litchfield Inn(Litchfield)(Great Value!)
US$131
US$75
US$127
US$115
  • Free Internet
All reviewsthe cottagessteam showerthe main housecharter oakcouples massageheated floorsfarm to tabletree housecheese platetaste and presentationstar propertyminute couplestasting menulitchfield hillsrabbitanniversary stayjet tub
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 September 2013

WOrth every cent, and it cost many cents.
The service and the food are the best best best we have ever encountered. It's like a trip to Europe, high end and very worth it.
We loved it...
We stayed in the Music Cottage, very bright and fun, and loved the fireplace that opens to LR and BR. We read by the fire and even brought our dog, cuz he's small and doesn't shed and is very well trained. They charged $70 or so for our dog. WOrth it. We loved the bikes with big comfy seats and we enjoyed going to two wineries in the area to do a wine tasting. What an amazing retreat, the table foods all had elements from their farm and meat was so fresh, wines were amazing, and the smiling happy waiters and waitresses who knew how to impart top level service made it all a dream come true.
Beth and Bill

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank yogafashionista
Reviewed 7 August 2013

This is a spectacular property, and the team working here makes sure you perfectly taken care of! I have had the pleasure of staying here twice in the past month. On both trips, we stayed in The Stable, which is one of the private cottages on the property. With the exception of one suite in the main house, all of the "rooms" are private cottages, each designed by a different architect. The property itself is a sleepy, quiet country haven. There is a beautiful garden in the center of the property in which you can watch the chefs gathering fresh picked offerings for meals.

Our cottage, The Stable had a horse theme. It was a three story structure with soaring ceilings and an open air feeling. The main entrance leads down a hall, and on the right is a three story wall of windows with a view to a lush forest. There is a fireplace and small kitchen set-up and some couches. The next level down is the bed, which is piled with sumptuous pillows and sheets. The bed looks out the two-story wall of windows and three glass doors which lead to a small slate patio. The shades go up and down automatically. It is heaven to sit in bed in the morning with a cup of perfect coffee (from the deluxe coffee maker in the room), lift the shades at the touch of a button and watch the sun on the trees. We even watched a family of wild turkeys march across one morning!

The lower level is all about the bathroom. There is deep bathtub with jets that is surrounded by glass walls. There is also a steam shower (also all glass). Again, it is such a treat to soak in the tub with a glass of champagne and watch the beauty of the trees and meadow all around!

Each of the cottages come with sweet touring bicycles and we meandered around the property on our bikes.

We also had massages at the spa. I can not rave enough about the spa space (serene and architecturally stunning). I also had one of the best massages of my life with Jaylynn (not sure of the spelling of her name, but she is amazing!). I did the massage where she actually uses her feet as part of the massage! It was truly perfect and she is great.

Dinner was delicious. On our most recent visit we had a tasting menu. Simple dishes with lots of obvious farm to table touches made for a delightful meal. Breakfast is included and is not to be missed. The scrambled eggs are pure, fluffy perfection. One visit we ate in the dining room, on our second stay, we requested room service. Both are wonderful, albeit different, experiences.

On our last visit we got to see a few of the other cottages and The Library was among my top choices for a return visit. It seems like it would be incredibly cozy for the colder months with a large fireplace you can see from the bed!

This is a special, special property, made all the more special by the incredible staff. Every person we met went out of his or her way to accommodate any request and did so with a smile. I am not usually to quiet, country inn type, but Winvian is so much more than that. It is truly an incredible spot to go and re-charge, relax and indulge. I highly, highly recommend it!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank susannemc
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I cannot say enough amazing things about Winvian. The fun of having all the very different cottages to choose from makes every experience so unique. You really get nice privacy without having to give up really good service. The General Manager really knows what he is doing and makes sure you feel like your experience is as personal as possible. The staff bends over backwards to accommodate anything you might need. And to have the spa and restaurant at your disposal makes it seriously relaxing. Staying at Winvian is an experience you'll never forget! And you'll want to just keep going back to stay in different cottages :)

Room Tip: Explore the website and you can take a sneak peek at the different cottages. Just have fun! :)
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kateneary
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I'm very much looking forward to my second stay at Winvian this autumn. I went in 2012 in August to propose to my fiancee. It was an amazing experience. Within moments of getting off of my knee and slipping the ring on her finger, a waiter appeared with two glasses of champagne and told us our table will be ready whenever we'd like to come in. We stayed 2 nights in CT Yankee and it was perfect. The food was art, visually stunning and delicious.

Expect impeccable service from someone greeting you outside when you pull up to delivering you a phenomenal breakfast in bed, to recommending a new scotch you haven't tried before. This place just makes you feel like you've totally slipped away from the real world and can completely relax.

This year we'll be staying in the Camping cottage.

The two negative reviews are truly humorous because in my experience, having stayed at many upper echelon resorts like Twin Farms, The Point, Lake Placid Lodge, the White Barn Inn, and several R&C resorts in Europe, I've found Winvian to compete in every metric.

I will say that Winvian may be a tad overpriced but not significantly.

Room Tip: Book in advance. You can't come here on a whim.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JimmyH452
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Our welcome to the property was very friendly, a young woman enthusiastically waving us in, then offering us a drink (for cost ?!? why offer as a welcome drink?) We stayed in the Treehouse the first night, very novel for the children and a smart lay-out although one night was plenty due to the bugs, dirty/dusty corners and filthy balcony. I liked the Nespresso maker and ice machine in our room, a very comfortable cottage and quite memorable stay. The beds were comfortable and the fresh fruit and nut amenities were appreciated. Sadly we extended our stay a night to check out another cottage (the Charter Oak). For some reason, they sent the "guest assistant" to transfer our bags yet did not give him keys to the new cottage... So, back to the front desk lodge and then checked into this musty, humid cottage with no working HVAC unit... On a weekend with a heat index nearing 102 degrees, the cottage was 75-77 and it was oppressive. We reported the problem and the resolution to move to another cottage was established almost 7 hours later... sending a maintenace person to confirm that there was no chance of the space cooling efficiently. We were offered another cottage to "cool off" as we waited to hear the verdict of the Charter Oak's HVAC but were left to move all of our bags with no apologies. When I asked about this, I was told that I refused help... Oh, I guess that's what you call it when there is no one around to help so you just haul your party of four with nine bags from cottage to cottage... Our last cottage "Stable" was very comfortable. The grounds are beautiful and we enjoyed the tree swing, pond and the trails. Sadly, I just felt insulted by the indifferent staff... they made inappropriate comments and I found my brief encounter with the GM to be abrasive and unfortunate. We were happy with the breakfast meals and enjoyed the service of the waitstaff. The spa is a HUGE disappointment, be sure to book appointments (grossly overpriced) in advance as they had therapists available on a call-in basis... despite the fact that we were told the hotel was "fully booked" and a later check-out would be impossible! (despite our Amex Platinum "guaranteed 4pm late check out, when available). The spa has a sauna, a couple bathrooms and small changing area. No whirlpool, no pool, no jacuzzi, very sparse amenities here. When I mentioned that I could not stay for a later spa treatment because we had to check-out, I was told my young children and husband could rest in the spa lounge. Wow, can you imagine... young children "hanging out" at a five diamond spa at a Relais and Chtaeaux hotel? In summary, we felt unwelcome and insulted for the better part of our stay. We would not return and cannot recommend unless a complete overhaul of management and staff with proper service training and housekeeping standards are implemented... a proper setting for one of those reality hotel shows, really! All the potential of an amazing place... but I am outraged that we were subjected to such a poorly ventilated and unhygienic cottage and no management expertise onsite to offer a suitable apology or execute a proper recovery of service failure. My complaints were met with defensive and dismissive retorts... Perhaps we were just there at the wrong time (hot and sticky weather and all of the staff on vacation)... I wouldn't chance it for the rates they charge...

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family