Winvian
US$75
US$121
US$115
  • Free Internet
Homestead Inn(New Milford)(Great Value!)
US$144
US$138
All reviewsthe cottagessteam showerthe main housecharter oakcouples massageheated floorsfarm to tabletree housecheese platetaste and presentationstar propertyminute couplestasting menulitchfield hillsrabbitanniversary stayjet tub
Reviewed 30 July 2014

This is our second visit to Winvian, and at half the cost, we would probably have been delighted. At these five star plus rates, however (and beware that there is hefty service charge on top of a tax charge that isn't quoted!), small imperfections are noticed. The most important lack is of course the pool, which is happily being built. It's off in a corner, though, and will have to wait to see if its a spectacular spot -- in general, the landscaping here is nice and relaxed but there's still a "Wow" factor lacking. The gardens are pretty enough, but without special focus or design. The spa is nice, but the Mayflower Hotel Spa (nearby) is much more unique and special. I was also surprised that the spa had no early evening hours on a summer weekend. Last time we visited, the food was extraordinary, this time it was only very good. Again -- we had a nice visit, but at these prices it's hard to not to compare and wonder if the experience is worth it.

Room Tip: Use Am Ex Platinum to book with discount and free upgrade -- and especially, late departure when available
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Barbeque
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I recently enjoyed dinner at this exquisitely posh restaurant in the Litchfield hills and it is an instant favorite. We enjoyed our pre dinner drink in the lounge downstairs before being led upstairs to our small table by the window. The service was as polished as I have seen. We enjoyed our wine while we took our time perusing the menu. We ordered and I ordered the beet salad and the scallops which were both delicious. My date ordered a mixed salad and the gnocchi. We sampled each others plates and everything was delicious. I truly enjoyed this fabulous restaurant and it is indeed one of my new favorites. It is highly recommended.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank saint22
Reviewed 27 July 2014

My wife and I stayed in early June. I had a couple of months off from work and we spent the whole time traveling, visiting a lot of resorts and hotels. This was by far our favorite. The more we traveled, the more I wanted to return to Winvian.

We stayed in the Music Room, which was very charming and comfortable. The bathrooms and linens are amazing. The heated floors are a nice touch.

But the best part about the place is the food. Our dinner there was one of the best we ever had. At first, I was concerned that for the price it was only three courses and only a few choices for each course. But the portions are large and each course is so beautiful and carefully thought out that I ended up appreciating having three great courses (six if you count the tastes I got from my wife) more than a long tasting menu of small bites and mixed results.

The service was also great. Everyone was very friendly and knowledgeable. The sommelier recommended a very good and affordable Burgundy.

Breakfast turned out to be just as good as dinner. The first day, I had poached eggs as I didn't want something too rich after the dinner the night before. The waiter brought an additional course of french toast for us to taste and it was delicious. But the best was the omelet I had on the second day. It was the best omelet I ever had.

We can't wait to return.

Room Tip: we loved the Music Room. Check the configuration of the rooms if you care about watching t.v. in bed. In some of the cottages, you can only view the t.v. from the living room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jason L
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Went with my sister for a girls spa weekend. The facility is immaculate, beautiful and unique. There are 18 cottages nessled in the woods each with a different architectural theme. Each cottage comes equipped with two trek one gear bikes to be used on property. We stayed at the Maritime which "pays homage to Connecticuts marritime history" It was adorable with lots of beautfull framed paintings of ships and the architecture mimicked a lighthouse. The space was large and had a separate living room, huge modern bath with steam shower and jetted tub and double sinks and a sizeable screen porch perfect for reading. Only negative with the room is there is one large flat screen in the bedroom, none in the living room. Given the cottage style I preferred not having to sit in the bed to watch TV, there should be a smaller TV in the main living space.

The restaurant is fantastic, farm to table absolutley delicious, good size portions,relaxed setting -just wonderful. The spa services were great but the locker room was small, with just one toilet the spa did not have a pool or steamroom and the sauna was co-ed which I really did not like.

At current there are two notable deficiencies an Winvian-no gym and no outdoor (or indoor for that matter pool). Given how beautiful the weather was the Memorial Day weekend laying pool side with a good book would have been a perfect way to spend the afternoon. However, the manager did advise that they expect to break ground on a pool soon.

While we did have a wonderful hike and a great kyak ride (the property provides kayaks) if weather was poor it would be nice to have a gym to utilize.

All told this is 5 star property unlike any other I have experienced. Perfect for couples and friends though we did see some families.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank ReganMo
Reviewed 23 May 2014

We visited the winvian for the first time on a short road trip and can't wait to return. Friendly and informative reception when past the secure gates is followed by courteous explanation and tour of each unique property. Had secret society which is great with modern facilities yet unique charm and cool upstairs vaulted bedroom and massive skylight window. Dinner was exceptional and good value. All staff extremely pleasant understated and professional. Seed to table concept produced memorable quail appetizer and excellent gnocchi and lobster seconds. Cheese course excellent. Inclusive breakfast a real pleasant surprise due to the 100% home produced ingredients. Grounds of the resort pleasant and teeming with wildlife. Will return soonest.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple