Whitehall Mansion Inn
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Quality Inn(Mystic)
View Hotel
All reviewscommon roomgas fireplacefirst floorup to datehauntedmarriottfoxwoods
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Whitehall Mansion is a curiosity. Built in 1771, it is surrounded and administered by a hotel chain. But it stands apart in all respects. The rooms are large and comfortable - ours had a working fireplace - and decorated in a style appropriate to their age. Because the building faces a busy road, the windows are sealed but the air conditioning is unobtrusive.
A bottle of wine and a generous platter of cheese and biscuits awaits you on arrival, but breakfast is nominal and the reception indicated that we would get better fare in the hotel. Suggestion: skip both and find breakfast elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ERichmondB
Reviewed 13 October 2013

My husband and I reserved the Weekend at Sea package (which was supposed to include two nights in a room with fireplace and jacuzzi tub, wine and cheese, and tickets to the Mystic Seaport and Mystic Aquarium) to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. When I called to make the initial reservation, I was a little concerned when I was told that they could not email me a confirmation for my reservation as they didn't have any way to do that. (In 2013 it is absolutely ridiculous for a hotel to be unable to email a customer, but I digress.) Well, apparently I was right to be concerned, as when my husband and I arrived for our stay, the hotel had no record of our reservation and no vacancy. The hotel is managed by the Marriott Residence Inn next door, and the Residence Inn apparently had no vacancy either. The manager called two or three other places in town to see if anyone had rooms for the night, and the only place with availability was the Comfort Inn (which I'm sure is a very nice hotel but not exactly where I was hoping to spend my anniversary). We were offered absolutely nothing in the way of compensation, not even a token discount on a future stay, and ended up having to cut our weekend short. Needless to say we are extremely angry and disappointed, and will NEVER recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank KFromMass
Reviewed 16 April 2013

I loved this place so much, my boyfriend and I had to go back. We stayed in the Benjamin chamber. The rooms are all original just like 1771. Floors are warped and beautiful fireplace is in each room for those cold nights. There are modern bathrooms with small jacuzzi tub and television for our convenience. Supposedly this place is haunted by either Lucy Benjamin or Sarah but we did not see anything. But oddly our tv cabinet kept unlocking and opening. Does Benjamin want to watch some tv? Using the fireplace just made for a very romantic evening. They even give you a bottle of wine when you check in so you can relax with a glass or two. In the main parlour, there are cheeses and some wine around 5:00 pm. In the morning they provide some coffee muffins and fruit. If you prefer a bigger breakfast, there is a free hot breakfast buffet in the hotel behind the Whitehall mansion. This is a great place to getaway for the weekend and just feels so homey. Would definitely go back a third time.

Room Tip: Make sure to tell your story in the one of the books in the main room. Many people add their "stays experience". We did.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 November 2012

Our paranormal group rented the entire mansion for the weekend and had an absolute blast. What a wonderful experience!

For folks looking at this place, you have to remember that this is a building built in the 1700s. The floors are wide boarded, uneven and unpolished, the rooms simple but nicely decorated. The windows are original, with drafts that come in with the cold. Each room has its own thermostat and heat is plentiful. Each room also has its own working fireplace, as well as a propane fireplace in the main room. I was amazed at the amount of modern amenities they managed to put in the mansion. Each room had a private bath with Jacuzzi (apparently hard to turn on, but they all worked for our group). Bathrooms had tons of towels, as well as hair dryers and more outlets than I expected in a building that old.

Free wifi worked in the mansion from the main building.The complimentary breakfast is basic, a nice hot carafe of coffee and some snacks, delivered to you by 7 a but you also can go to the main building, a short walk,and enjoy an all you can eat breakfast there. Any of the amenities such as the pool or gym are also available for you to use. It's an old building, with creaks and groans and everything that goes along with it, so keep that in mind.

We stayed there over the Thanksgiving weekend, so the windows were closed and the building was amazingly quiet given it's proximity to the highway. We enjoyed the main room with fireplace and the complimentary wine and cheese every evening. The staff was pleasant, helpful and able to answer all our questions and needs. The mansion is close to all attractions and eateries. We fully intend on returning for some more paranormal exploring!

Room Tip: I stayed in Benjamin's room-very nice, but all the rooms are great. Bathrooms are huge, with Jacuzzi tubs.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
whgecomm, General Manager at Whitehall Mansion Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2012

I'm thrilled to read how you enjoyed your Thanksgiving stay with us at the Whitehall Mansion! You are absolutely correct as the Mansion is not any typical hotel. But if you are looking for a charming New England Inn, the Whitehall Mansion is perfect for a quaint get away. I hope you will come back to visit us again; and please stop by to say hello!

Regards
Scott Barlow

Reviewed 4 November 2012

Depending on what you are looking for the Whitehall Mansion could be the perfect place for you. I just returned from our second stay at the Mansion. Both times I rented the entire mansion so my family could have a place to relax and enjoy some family time together. Both times we played games together, ordered pizza, brought snacks and truly had fun just being together. Some of us enjoyed having access to the pool and whirlpool. Although a continental breakfast was delivered to the Mansion, we all opted to enjoy the great breakfast in the main lobby. After breakfast we took advantage of the Mansion's location, and walked to the aquarium and the seaport.
I rated this accommodation excellent because it fit exactly into the mini-vacation I wanted to share with my family. If you are looking for very modern, state of the art accommodations, this is not the place for you. If you are looking to enjoy a vintage inn with great period atmosphere then this your place. The bedrooms rooms are clean and very charming. The fireplaces in the main room and in each room add a nice touch. The staff is wonderful.
I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family