“Nice experience”

Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Mystic
New York
“Nice experience”
Reviewed 27 October 2008

Stayed for two nights at this quite new hotel. When we checked in, Tricia at the front desk was VERY pleasant, even calling a local eatery for their hours for us. Unfortunately, the room that she gave us was not completed by the housekeeping staff and we had to switch rooms. The manager on duty met us in the hall way immediately and radioed down to Tricia to find out which room was available. He then just let us in with his key while he went back downstairs to get us our new keys so that we wouldn't have to go anywhere. We settled in and went to the ice / vending area for a bottle of water, which was sold out. Since I didn't want any other beverage, I pressed the change return and it only returned a portion. I was about to be annoyed when I turned around the manager was standing there with a tray that contained 2 icy waters and various snacks. He was bringing it up to our room for our inconvienence with the room mix up! He even took change out of his own pocket to replace what I had lost in the machine. Excellent service.

The feather pillows in the room just didn't do it for me, but when I requested foam ones, they were waiting right at the end of the bed when I returned later that afternoon.

The breakfasts at Hampton Inn's have never really impressed me, but they are good in a pinch if you're pressed for time and can just grab a bagel and cup of tea. I HIGHLY recommend asking the front desk for directions to Somewhere In Time, a local eatery just a couple of miles away where - and I don't say this lightly - I had THE BEST breakfast of my life. They are amazing! The day we checked out, the two young ladies at the front desk recommended it and gave us directions - they were 100 % correct. On the other hand, there is a pizza place very close to the hotel called the Pizza Grille. Run for your life! It was the worst pizza, if that's what you want to call it, I've ever had. We wound up throwing it all away.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone. It's brand new, super clean, and the staff I encountered really did their best. I might even go back to Mystic sometime now that I know there's a decent place to stay!

• Liked — Brand new
  • Disliked — Trailer park in the back yard
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mom4marley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Polish first
Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 October 2008

It is a beautiful, new hotel. And we had a lovely suite. However, with a three-year-old and six-month-old at home, half the reason we have an overnight somewhere else (and pay for an overnight babysitter!) is so that both parents can get a good night's sleep. Unfortunately, on September 28 at 5:00 a.m., the smoke alarm went off.

I do realize that there are unforeseen circumstances and every hotel encounters trials they were rather not have. It's usually how something bad is handled that really makes the difference in a good experience vs. a bad experience...

We, along with all the other hotel guests, stood outside for almost two hours in the cold drizzle while the fire department investigated. It's bad enough to have a fire alarm at 5:00 a.m. And of course you want to evacuate everyone just in case, however, it's even worse when it turns out to be the hotel's fault that the fire alarm went off. In this case, a melted housekeeping cart was the culprit.

So, we didn't get a good night's sleep. We were outside for almost two hours and could no longer go back to sleep, and we were not offered anything, but a "sorry, you were inconvenienced." Although we appreciate the sentiment, I must say we were hoping and expecting a little more.

Another guest went across the street to Starbucks and shared some muffins with everyone. It would have been a lovely gesture for someone from the HOTEL to do that! Or warm us up with coffees?

Needless to say, we were very disappointed in our stay at the Hampton Inn. We are aware that things happen. But again, it's how they are dealt with that makes all the difference.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Sidman59
Stamford, Connecticut
Reviewed 11 August 2008

The Hampton Inn & Suites Mystic just opened about a week and a half ago. It is located right off I-95 within minutes from Mystic Aquarium, restaurants, and downtown Mystic.

The front desk staff were friendly and helpful. Everything was brand new. They have a pool and gym (brand new equipment) and a huge breakfast area with fireplace.

Our room was nice with a king size bed (not as large as the double bed rooms or of course, the suites). The king size room had a "walk-in" double shower (no tub).

The breakfast was good - standard Hampton Inn breakfast with bagels, mini muffins, english muffins, croissants (very good!), biscuits, eggs, and sausage. Breakfast is served 6-10am. Do not get there at 10am, as they start taking the food away, so arrive at least by 9:30-9:45am!

There is only one set of (2) elevators which are near the front of the hotel, so parking closer to the front is advised, if you don't want to take the stairs at the back of the hotel.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Jenn B