“Great value”

Hampton Inn & Suites Mystic
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Mystic
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Our family of 4 stayed here during our trip to see the Aquarium, the Seaport, etc. The hotel is about a 30 second drive away from the highway exit. It is extremely convenient and easy to get to. My wife and sons enjoyed the pool, and we all enjoyed breakfast which was quick, easy, tasty, and plentiful with no traveling necessary. We've stayed in several Hampton Inn locations over the past few years, and we've always walked into a super clean, super friendly environment. This time was no exception. In fact, whenever we plan a trip, I always check out the local Hampton Inn first to see if the cost and dates work for us. As I mentioned earlier, the property is about 30 seconds away from the I95 exit (Exit 90). It is also about 2 minutes away from the Mystic Aquarium, 5 minutes from the Mystic Seaport, and 7-10 minutes from downtown Mystic depending on traffic. My ONLY complaint about our stay here is that we could hear the elevators as they moved since one wall of our room (314) was back to back with the elevator shaft.. Eventually, we didn't even notice it, and it wasn't enough of a problem to request a room change. If you're looking for a place to stay in Mystic, you cannot go wrong by booking at the Hampton Inn.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
Write a ReviewReviews (1,231)

Reviewed 28 August 2014

Our experience with this hotel was ordinary & fell below our expectation. We were celebrating our anniversary & told the hotel rep this when we called. This was not acknowledged when we arrived & room that was promised to us on 3rd Fl did not happen. When we told front desk what was promised to us, they said we could take room on 2nd fl , if we wanted because rooms on 3rd fl were not ready & that we would have to wait another 15-20 mins... we cked in 30 mins pass check in time!! We were tired because we had been driving in bumper to bumper traffic for 4 hrs... Our anniversary was never acknowledged by hotel staff, nor was there an apology for room mix up. needless to say, i was highly disappointed, especially after reading reviews on this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Edith A
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Hotel is clean and comfy, the complimentary breakfast is standard fare. The pool is very nice. Used at 7 AM it was warm and I had the pool to myself. $450 for two nights is quite pricey. I was not greeted as a Hilton Honors guest. Plenty of parking. 24 hour coffee, tea and hot chocolate...not quite true. Its there most of the time.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Goldenchild47
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We are HHonors members and in general prefer to stay at a Hampton Inn/Hilton when we travel. I read the reviews on TripAdvisor prior to choosing our hotel in Mystic and was confident going in based on the glowing reviews that we would be in for a great experience (it was ranked #1 of the hotels in Mystic and the reviews were in general glowing). Obviously, we missed something.

Upon arrival we were checked-in by a staff person who did not even bother to look up at us after his initial greeting which my husband found off-putting (in retrospect, maybe it was because he knew our room was so bad). Either way, we believe in second chances and that did not deter us from bringing our things to our room.

We were in the room a few minutes after bringing our bags in and during that brief time, we noticed the valance was sagging and the chair arm was shredded some. Knowing what to expect since we prefer a Hampton Inn/Hilton, this was a bit shocking to me. Then I pulled back the comforter and noticed a stained sheet with holes in it. Ewwww!!! My husband immediately called the front desk to let them know, we had not even returned the luggage cart yet. The person acknowledged my husbands concerns and indicated they would get us a new sheet. Sure enough, as my husband was going down the hall to return the luggage cart he was handed a new sheet. I guess it was make your own bed day in Mystic. So we put the sheet in the room and headed out for the evening.

That evening when we returned, our child went to bed only to complain that there were holes in the sheet. That's right, the second sheet they provided ALSO HAD HOLES IN IT!! What on earth? It's a hotel, clean and properly maintained sheets should be the norm. We left it like that and flipped it so it was on the other side of the bed.

At that point, I went in to use the bathroom. The wall mounted hair dryer was filthy, I mean gross with some kind of build up. You couldn't pay me to touch that thing. Thankfully, we had our own dryer from home. The ceiling in the bathroom (above the door) also had mold/mildew on it and the tile behind the door was separating from the wall.

In addition, as if the in-room issues weren't bad enough, the sound of doors opening and slamming shut in the hallway lasted well into the night and started again early in the morning.

This is not at all what I'd expect at a Hampton Inn or Hilton or frankly any hotel for that matter.

The next morning, I spoke with the person at the front desk because she asked how our stay was and I just couldn't lie to her. She was very nice and apologized and indicated that she would follow-up with the general manager and I could expect to be contacted. We proceeded on the rest of our trip, thankfully we only planned to stay the one night because we certainly would not have stayed in that room any longer, and I heard nothing from anyone at the hotel.

I did contact HHonors to inform them when we arrived home because the matters in this room need to be corrected. It was after that the general manager contacted me. Obviously, we were not satisfied and with their 100% satisfaction policy we were refunded but that was so not even the point. I expect so much more from Hampton then this room, they need to make some changes and corrections for future guests. If changes aren't made, I'd strongly suggest you look elsewhere like I will be doing.

One positive item, Deisy in the breakfast area was very helpful in looking for something gluten-free for my family. She did go out of her way, was helpful and courteous and apologetic that there was really nothing there other than fruit and yogurt.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank bean_nj
SDLDOS, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites Mystic, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

Please accept our sincere apologies for the disappointing service and conditions of your recent stay. We know our guests deserve the best and we will use your comments as we continually evolve to meet and exceed our guests' expectations. We have shared your comments with our team and assure you appropriate steps have been made to correct the issues you encountered with comfort and cleanliness. Should you return to our area in the future, we would love to have you back so we may better demonstrate the complete quality stay you expect and deserve. If we may be of any additional assistance, please do not hesitate to contact our offices directly.

Stephanie Lee
Director of Sales

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Most of the stay at the Hampton was good. Employees were great. The breakfast does leave a little to be desired, but it was ok. The room air condition was quite cold, even adjusting the temperature. The couch, which opens up into a bed was directly in front of the air conditioner, so you were getting direct hit

Room Tip: try to get the 3rd floor
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

Friendly knowledgeable staff. Very clean. Normal Hampton breakfast; however, well stocked with friendly staff constantly cleaning. Particularly liked work bar in breakfast room with charging stations requiring only USB plug. Always appreciate well designed excellent work desk in room. Usual Hampton work center with PC's and printers.

Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Our reservation was messed up and the staff was untrained. We were woken up at 10 pm by the front desk banging on our door and trying to barge in. They were unsure which room we were in and wanted to book ours to someone else. Yelling and demanding that we open the door did not seem like standard hotel procedure. We were too scared to sleep. They refunded the room but it was the worst hotel experience ever. Don't stay here!

• Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank 668caitlinj
SDLDOS, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites Mystic, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

I appreciate the review of your recent stay at our hotel. I'm sorry that you received a poor level of service; this is not the Hampton norm as our goal is Satisfaction Guaranteed. I have addressed these issues with our staff. The next time you are in the area we would love to have you come back and experience an improved level of customer service. Thank you once again for your comments.

Stephanie Lee