“DIRTIEST HOTEL I HAVE EVER STAYED IN”

Econo Lodge Mystic - Groton
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Mystic
Auckland
“DIRTIEST HOTEL I HAVE EVER STAYED IN”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2011

This was the only hotel in our entire 5 1/2 week road trip that I had cause to complain about. Our room was filthy. We are not finicky travellers and I might have excused the pile of crushed up breakfast cereal and debris from previous guests as an oversight until I wrote my name in the dust on the bed head, removed a hair from the grimy coffee tray and wiped down something spilled on the chair. When I complained next morning the guy offered to have it cleaned. No point - we were leaving. The guy then asked when I noticed the mess which is fair enough if you want a problem fixed. Truth is, I noticed it the previous night but at $172 p/n (incl tax) I don't expect to have to call reception to have my room cleaned or to pack up and move to a new room: . Reading other reviews my experience seems not to be too isolated either. The guy did apologise but .....having a clean room would be a fairly basic requirement to running a hotel I think.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Marblehead, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2011

we booked for two nights and couldnt stand the smell in the room, dirty blanket on bed, bathroom was dirty, ac barely worked, we left and booked at another hotel. dont waste your money on this dump

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Mystic hotels

Westfield, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2011

We stayed here on a overnight stay, while visiting the Casinos and shopping in Mystic, we generally stay at the Comfort Inn down then road, but unfortunatly we booked to late and they were sold out. I found the staff to be very unhelpful, almost to the point of rudeness. The room was clean, although we could have definatly used more pillows which they did not have any more available. It seems like the room was freshly painted, but the bathroom could have used some updating. For a cheap overnight stay I would recomend this hotel, but for more than one night I would spend more and go else where.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Kelowna, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2011

I ended up at this motel as a last minute place to stay. It was cheaper than the place next door ($89) and it was totally fine. The rooms were clean and quiet. There was wireless and the check-in guy was nice. It's definitely dated but suck it up and spend more time in the beautiful town of Mystic.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
Hardwick, Vermont
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2011

This is within walking distance of a Friendly's, a diner, a steakhouse, Dunkin Donuts, a quick stop gas station, Domino's, and McDonald's. The Aquarium is not far away. It's not a luxury hotel but it was clean and roomy. Bring extra pillows.

It can get loud on a Saturday night because it's more of a motel than hotel and people park right outside the window.

One bizarre thing was they billed our credit card before we even went!

Room Tip: book online
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2011

We've stayed at other Econo Lodge locations before, mostly because they are pet-friendly and fairly well-run. THIS IS NOT THE CASE HERE- AVOID THIS MOTEL IF POSSIBLE. Paid $89 for a Sat night stay in April (off-season) for which we reserved a king room, we were given two doubles and told they were sold out so we could take it or leave it. The room was dirty and falling apart, we had no heat and it was very cold at night. The fridge made so much noise we had to unplug it. Mattresses are old and have squeaky springs. I did not want to touch the carpet with my feet, so I kept my shoes on the whole time.

Room Tip: Check in early to get a better room.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dkolack
Ellington, Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2010

We recently stayed overnight on our annual shopping trip to the outlets and Mystic village. What a disappointment. The room was not clean the bathroom was dirty and a great deal of mold on tile behind door. The bed was only so so comfortable but coupled with the marshmello pillows which offered no support or comfort (and I asked for extra pillows) made for a long night. I will never settle for price alone as it was the least expensive, however the Days Inn where we usually stay only less than a mile up the street is a much better stay for the money. the $10 difference in price gets you a better room with a great continental breakfast that far surpasses the joke offered at the Econo logdge unless you consider 4 mini muffins 2 bagles and a couple boxes of cereal a breakfast offering. Never again.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple