“Definitely not the Same Old Thing!”
Review of Mezza

Mezza
Ranked #9 of 102 Restaurants in Mystic
Price range: US$5 - US$23
Cuisines: Lebanese, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Takeout
Description: Conveniently located less than a mile from downtown Mystic, this quaint Mediterranean Grill has charm and ambiance, outdoor seating, and on site parking. Authentic, fresh, home-style cooking & all natural ingredients.
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Delicious and different is how I would describe The Pita Spot! Owned by a Lebanese family--two brothers and a sister--it serves Middle Eastern fare--including some old family favorites, like the La La Chicken (no, you can't have the recipe!) At least one of the siblings is always there, greeting patrons, overseeing meal preparation, ensuring waitstaff is providing excellent service and contributing to the distinctively Middle Eastern atmosphere.The female waitstaff even wear jangly money skirts (and if you don't know what they are, go in and find out!). Baba ganoush to die for!

2  Thank Katherine L

Reviewed 31 May 2014

As a devotee of Arabic food, I was eager to try The Pita Spot. The reviews seemed to point to a crackerjack experience. We attempted the outing yesterday but arrived just as it closed 2 hours, something not mentioned in the books. Undeterred, we headed out for the establishment today, and were pleased to find it open and bustling. We were originally shown a rather diminutive table and we are generously sized patrons. The second waitress quickly gave us a bigger table without us even asking, so kudos for that.

When we asked about a mezze plate, she told us about their 2 sizes, and my hubby and I got to the ordering. Well...it was actually a little more difficult than that as they were a bit slammed. But we got the drinks ordered and though my husband was disappointed they didn't have Coke products, he ordered an (unsweet) iced tea and I ordered an iced coffee. I got a 3 item mezze, comrised of the kibbe, the hummus, and the baba ghannouj, and my husband opted for a beef/lamb combo shawarma that was simply great!! When my pita ran out, it was replenished. When my iced coffee ran dry, it too was refilled.

So the blemish?? My husband twice had to ask for a refill on his iced tea, and by the second request, they had "run out". It seemed so casual and aloofly said, and nothing was offered in its stead. Not even water, and he more than once said he would not have drunk his tea down so quickly had he known he would not be offered anything else.

This oversight truly bummed my thin skinned husband.

But for that, you folks would have merited the full five for five rating. This was as close to the real deal in Lebanese cuisine that I have had in many many years. I really detest places that serve Arabic food that is really more Greek food in its preparation and try to pull the wool over the eyes of their patrons. I have no objection to a meat sandwich, but do not call a gyro a shawarma, or a steak sandwich one either. Full marks for the pickled cabbage and the tahini too!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We are lucky enough to live in Mystic, CT - home of The Pita Spot restaurant! Absolutely delish food - truly a spot not to miss on your trip to Mystic! A visit to The Pita Spot could be the reason to visit Mystic! :-)
They have a wonderful menu of hot and cold appetizers and a wide variety of items - sandwiches, salads, entrees, desserts. A take out order makes a fabulous picnic to take to the beach, just 20 minutes away!
Our fav is the Lamb Kabob wrap, which they warm on a Panini grill!
Vivian, one of the owners, makes her 'secret garlic sauce' - you have to taste it - not like anything we have ever eaten anywhere else.
They have outdoor tables which are really fun - the service is always exceptional!
If you order take out, ask them for a little container of chips with sumac!

1  Thank AndreaLeiser
Reviewed 27 May 2014

You MUST eat here. I watched my husband eat EVERY bite of his LaLa Chicken Pita as if it were his first and last bite of food. He is STILL talking about it.

With that said, I have been a vegetarian for twenty years, and this is one of the few places we have eaten that fully accommodates us both. Our two boys - ages three and two, were immediately greeted with crayons and a stack of shape/color cards, which truly changed our concept of "child-friendly." The staff is lively and helpful (especially when navigating through the awesome dessert tray.)

I am not sure what I enjoyed more (since we ate here two days in a row): the Falafel Special or the Falafel Pita (fully loaded with authentic pickles).

Be sure to order fries.

We wish we could get delivery to Long Island!!
(Right now.)

1  Thank T T
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

We visit Mystic every Memorial Day weekend. My wife is a vegetarian and it is difficult to find non-seafood dining establishments. Well, we found heaven in Mystic!! Everything about The Pita Spot is awesome!! The decor, the service, the cleanliness, and the food!! Wow! I had the La La Chicken Pita. I must say, I can think of two times in my life that I have been "transported" by a culinary experience. This was the second!!The La La Chicken is probably the most amazing thing I have ever eaten in my life. We ate dinner there and went back the next afternoon for lunch!! I wish I could have The Pita Spot deliver across the Long Island Sound!! I can't wait until next year! This will be our first spot before we even check into our hotel! I wish I could give your restaurant twenty stars. Well done!!

Been to Mezza? Share your experiences!