“never again”

Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Mystic
pennsylvania
“never again”
Reviewed 16 July 2009

This hotel is not worth the money we paid. I picked it since we needed a place with 2 queen beds and they were hard to come by in this area. The entire place is very dated like original to the 70's. The room air conditioner blows right on you when you are sleeping I mean right in your face. SO plan to wake up very stiff. We had to use a chair with a coat on it as a wind breaker just to sleep. The comforters were so old and stained that I put them on the floor and refused to touch them. Since it was late when we checked in I waited till morning to request new ones which they brought right away. Why the new ones weren't on to begin with I will never know. We checked out a day early because it really was that bad. The jacuzzi tub was nice but again very worn and dated. After this trip I have vowed to never stay at a Joward Johnson again. On a positive note the Manager gave me a very nice dicount for our troubles but it wasn't enough to make me return.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
terrymystic, General Manager Terry Connors at Howard Johnson Inn Mystic, responded to this review, 7 August 2009
we work very hard to update and make sure that rooms are clean and ready at all times, we have just about completed the first floor all bed toppings, including pillows, all mattresses are pillow top, the bathrooms have all been updated/
although we are an older property we do try to make sure it is clean and comfortable and the customer service is outstanding
we have pleased many people and get a lot of repeat guests

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Hebrew first
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 7 July 2009

I loved this hotel....it had a microwave, fridge, iron, AND wall to ceiling mirrors. The staff was very nice. There were also bikes available to take into town

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Bloomington, IL
Reviewed 6 July 2009

We were put off by thie hotel from the moment we attempted to check in. It was after check-in time and our room was not ready. We had to wait for over 1/2 hour before we could get to our room. There were 6 other families who also hadto wait for their rooms. When we did get our room, we found another family checking into it also. We went to the desk and they straightened things out but it was such a hassle after having to wait that it set the whole stay off. The rooms were outdated and dark as well as not well maintained. The pool area was run-down and towels were not available. There are many other hotels in Mystic and I would advise to stay at one of those.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank colinda2004
boston
Reviewed 3 June 2009

I will say for the money we paid, we got what we deserved. The staff at the front desk was very helpful and pleasant. When I booked this hotel, I thought the pictures looked decent. and the rooms so-so. The only thing updated about this hotel is the lobby. The hallways had a really bad odor to it, The rooms were very outdated . The beds were very uncomfortable and pillows were like pancakes! At the time of booking, I requested a room on the parking lot side to avoid the noise from the highway. As you can imagine, they did not have any rooms for me on the"quiet side", but it was OK, I never did hear alot of the traffic b/c we had the ac running all night to drown it out. Another reason I booked this hotel was for the indoor pool, the other hotels didn't have indoor heated. It was always empty when we used it and pretty clean. The only other complaint I have are the bed sheets or lack of them. Our beds never had a fitted sheet for the mattress, which means for kids they are always moving around on this gross, dirty ,unprotected mattress.

I really wanted to save money on a hotel, and chose this one. I thought we got a pretty good deal. Next time I will spend more money for a cleaner, updated hotel and not an INN, that is what the HOJO is .

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
terrymystic, General Manager Terry Connors at Howard Johnson Inn Mystic, responded to this review, 9 June 2009
Thank you for taking the time to let us know where we can iimprove, we are presently in the process of updating all of the bed toppings including fitted sheets as well as the pillows, the hall odor is also being addressed we have installed new odorizers.
We do try to accomodate all requests.

We are an established hotel in the area and work to keep it updated. Our goal is to offer a clean and comfortable room at an affordable rate with an outstanding customer service staff
new york
Reviewed 11 April 2009

We stayed two nights during spring break to visit Mystic CT. The HOJO was in a very convenient location. Too convenient, you could hear the I-95 traffic at night, woke me once. The hotel was basic, fridge, microwave, good for the kids. The beds were comfy, bad pillows though. There was a smell, not sure what it was, but only in the hall, not the room itself. The indoor pool was really nice and clean. We called the front desk one time, they came right away, which was nice. There was a diner on the property, don't bother with it. That's for another review. But I would recommend Mystic HOJO. I probably would try a different place downtown Mystic though next time. The area attractions do not require a whole day visit, so take your time, and enjoy!!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
Branford, Connecticut
Reviewed 23 February 2009

This hotel is across the street from the Mystic Shopping Village and a short drive from both the Aquarium and Mystic Seaport and immediately off of I-95. The attractions are within reasonable walking distance if you are so inclined. It is a two story property and I don’t think there was an elevator so requesting a 1st floor room is your best bet. The property is well kept and check-in was quick and friendly. Access to rooms is via an interior hallway which is great in the winter. The rooms are clean, spacious and decently appointed. A microwave, fridge, ironing board and iron, coffee maker, hairdryer, and safe are included. Since we were traveling with a 19 month old the fridge and microwave were a plus. Our non-smoking room had two queen beds that were comfortable, a work desk and chair and an armoire for the TV with some drawer storage beneath. Good variety of cable channels with HBO was available though we travel with a portable DVD for the baby and Wiggles and Elmo DVDs to keep him entertained. Free wireless internet though the connection was a bit sluggish at times. The bathroom was also good sized. Lots of hot water and good water pressure. Decent towels with standard toiletries provided. The heat worked well and the controls were accurate. They had a second sink and mirror in outside of the main bath which could be helpful for larger families. I believe they offer coffee and possibly a continental breakfast in the lobby in the morning but we always pass on that type of deal since it is usually so so. A Dunkin Donuts and McDonalds are very close which are better choices for breakfast in my opinion. There is a good indoor pool. The children’s area (3 feet deep) is separated from the 5 and 9 foot area by floats. The water was warm and clear. Slight chorine smell but not overpowering. No whirlpool. Towels are available as are tables and chairs poolside. Open early and closes late. Both times we went to the pool it was virtually empty. I imagine if you get a large group of adults and kids at the pool it could become overcrowded and noisy but you have to face that everywhere. A clock in the pool area would be a nice touch. They do not have an outdoor pool so during the summer and interior pool may be problematic. I booked this room directly on their website as I could not find a better deal on the property elsewhere. I paid around $85 complete for the night which is mid to high average for budget accommodations in my book and considering the state of the economy. It was Valentine’s Day weekend and Mystic was crowded (what recession?). If you plan to go out to dinner on a weekend night you should have a reservation. It was also the beginning of the winter break for most schools so lots of families were about. The Aquarium was very busy. They are in the process of opening a diner attached to this hotel, the Equinox. It looks like it will have lots of seating and perhaps the hotel will be able to provide discounts. There is one open in Orange, CT that can be Googled. The downside is I suspect it will be very busy and cars may spill over to the hotel parking area which will present a real challenge to the hotel management. The hotel was sold out though again it was Valentine’s Day and the start of school vacation. Figure because of the relatively low cost it will sell out on popular dates so book early. I would rate this place slightly above average. If the cost had been slightly lower it would have been a fantastic deal. My rates were winter rates. Summer rates are probably much higher.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Veritas01
Billerica, Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 January 2009

This hotel is very convenient! It's less than 30 seconds from I-95, and a very short walk or drive to the quaint village shops. It's also within minutes of the Mystic Seaport, Mystic Pizza, and the casinos. The staff was very friendly for check-in and check-out. They were genuine about making sure everything was ok, and I also received a call after checking in to ensure things were fine, and they were.

The hotel does look very dated (except for the lobby), but I didn't feel like it was too grungy or anything. The rooms also look dated, but everything was clean and in working order. My only complaint would be the paper thin walls. I had a rather loud neighbor that woke us up and we could hear her conversation word for word. If it weren't for that, I would've given this a 5/5 instead of a 4/5. This is a great value and worth the price. It'd also be a little better if they offered continental breakfast, but you can't ask for everything!

• Liked — Location and Service
  • Disliked — Paper Thin Walls
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank rbarry01usa