“Good for the price”

Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Mystic
Mass
“Good for the price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2009

Pretty good for the price we paid. We didn't hear any disturbances from the highway nor the diner. Beds were firm like others had mentioned, but weren't bad. My only two complaints would be the dry heat and when we first arrived I was putting my bag under the bed and I noticed a small pill that much have been overlooked when the room was cleaned. Other then that it's a good price and in a good location. Also the front desk staff was always extremely kind.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
tercslay, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Mystic, responded to this review, 11 November 2009
Thank you for taking the time to review the Howard Johnson Mystic we work very hard to offer our guests a clean and comfortable room,It is nice to be able to look at these review to show us where we can improve. we are in the process of updating all the bedding and I will alert the housekeeping department to be more diligent in their cleaning and inspections
again we thank you for the review and hope to see you again
Terry Connors

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Hebrew first
New York City
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2009

That says it all. I could not sleep and management telling me they tell the diner to be quiet is ridiculous. The frosted windows cover the fact that you are sleeping by a noisy alley. We got a 10% reduction on the bill which is meaningless. Over rated, and over priced. We will never go back here again,

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
tercslay, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Mystic, responded to this review, 29 October 2009
the diner that is connected to us is a newly open business and this is the first time we have ever had a complaint about the noise.
I have apologized to the guests personally about this problem and took care of this problem with the diner immediately. We at
the Howard Johnson Mystic take pride in having a clean and comfortable hotel and try to make sure all of our guests are happy with their rooms.
this was an isolated incident and we assued the guest it would never occur again
Nanuet, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2009

The Howard Johnson in Mystic, CT, is a reasonably price hotel in a good location. It’s located on Greenmanville Road, a main street that runs through Mystic and is right off the highway exit, across the street from Mystic Village and surrounded by a number of other chain hotels.

On checking in to the hotel we were given a folder with a map and brochures for things to do in the area. Shortly after checking in someone called to make sure that everything was okay, which I think is a nice touch and something that, in my experience, few places do.

My room was located on the ground floor, facing the Econo Hotel across the parking lot. The hotel advertises oversize rooms and my room did have ample space. It contained two queen-size beds, with two wall lamps above each bed and a floor lamp next to one bed. The table between the two beds had a clock radio. There was a table with two chairs, a microwave and small refrigerator, large screen television and desk with a lamp and chair. An iron and ironing board were also provided. Near the door was an extra sink with a mirror. There was a full-length mirror on the back of the bathroom door. The room had sliding glass doors that opened onto a concrete block with chairs. The bathroom was good size with ample shelf space.

The room rate does not include breakfast but regular and decaf coffee are provided in the lobby each morning along with a daily newspaper (USA Today on weekdays, a Rhode Island newspaper on Sunday). You can buy something for breakfast and store it in the refrigerator. Or you can eat at one of several nearby places. There is an Equinox diner in front of the Howard Johnson, where we had breakfast, lunch and several evening deserts. There is a Friendly’s in front of the Econo Lodge and a McDonald’s across the street, though we did not try these.

The room was basic but met my needs. My only complaint is that the pillows were flat and no extras were provided. The hotel includes an indoor pool, which was a good size and well maintained.

As mentioned, the hotel is across the street from Mystic Village, which has places to eat and shop, as well as a small movie theatre. The theatre came in handy as there isn’t a lot to do in Mystic at night and the first night of my trip it was pouring rain. During my three-night stay I saw two of the three movies playing at the theatre. One night after the movie, we had dinner at a near-by restaurant called Jamm’s, which was open until midnight.

Downtown Mystic and its attractions are a short car ride from the hotel. These include taking a sail on the schooner Argia, which leaves right from downtown and cost $40 for a 2.5-hour sail. Downtown includes a number of shops and restaurants, including Mystic Pizza of movie fame.

During my stay a group of people who rode motorcycles were also staying at the hotel. They were a very inconsiderate group, sitting on their motorcycles and running/revving the engines for long periods of time. They would also stand outside on the sidewalk early in the morning and have loud conversations. I realize that this is not the hotel’s fault and that the staff has no control over guests’ behavior. However, on check-out we did mention to the desk clerk that we found this disturbing and she did not seem surprised. We also mentioned that for most of our stay our television did not work properly, despite several efforts on the part of the hotel to fix it, and the desk clerk gave us a discount on our bill.

• Stayed June 2009
1 Thank LFAN
pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2009

This hotel is not worth the money we paid. I picked it since we needed a place with 2 queen beds and they were hard to come by in this area. The entire place is very dated like original to the 70's. The room air conditioner blows right on you when you are sleeping I mean right in your face. SO plan to wake up very stiff. We had to use a chair with a coat on it as a wind breaker just to sleep. The comforters were so old and stained that I put them on the floor and refused to touch them. Since it was late when we checked in I waited till morning to request new ones which they brought right away. Why the new ones weren't on to begin with I will never know. We checked out a day early because it really was that bad. The jacuzzi tub was nice but again very worn and dated. After this trip I have vowed to never stay at a Joward Johnson again. On a positive note the Manager gave me a very nice dicount for our troubles but it wasn't enough to make me return.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
terrymystic, General Manager Terry Connors at Howard Johnson Inn Mystic, responded to this review, 7 August 2009
we work very hard to update and make sure that rooms are clean and ready at all times, we have just about completed the first floor all bed toppings, including pillows, all mattresses are pillow top, the bathrooms have all been updated/
although we are an older property we do try to make sure it is clean and comfortable and the customer service is outstanding
we have pleased many people and get a lot of repeat guests
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2009

I loved this hotel....it had a microwave, fridge, iron, AND wall to ceiling mirrors. The staff was very nice. There were also bikes available to take into town

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Bloomington, IL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2009

We were put off by thie hotel from the moment we attempted to check in. It was after check-in time and our room was not ready. We had to wait for over 1/2 hour before we could get to our room. There were 6 other families who also hadto wait for their rooms. When we did get our room, we found another family checking into it also. We went to the desk and they straightened things out but it was such a hassle after having to wait that it set the whole stay off. The rooms were outdated and dark as well as not well maintained. The pool area was run-down and towels were not available. There are many other hotels in Mystic and I would advise to stay at one of those.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank colinda2004
boston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2009

I will say for the money we paid, we got what we deserved. The staff at the front desk was very helpful and pleasant. When I booked this hotel, I thought the pictures looked decent. and the rooms so-so. The only thing updated about this hotel is the lobby. The hallways had a really bad odor to it, The rooms were very outdated . The beds were very uncomfortable and pillows were like pancakes! At the time of booking, I requested a room on the parking lot side to avoid the noise from the highway. As you can imagine, they did not have any rooms for me on the"quiet side", but it was OK, I never did hear alot of the traffic b/c we had the ac running all night to drown it out. Another reason I booked this hotel was for the indoor pool, the other hotels didn't have indoor heated. It was always empty when we used it and pretty clean. The only other complaint I have are the bed sheets or lack of them. Our beds never had a fitted sheet for the mattress, which means for kids they are always moving around on this gross, dirty ,unprotected mattress.

I really wanted to save money on a hotel, and chose this one. I thought we got a pretty good deal. Next time I will spend more money for a cleaner, updated hotel and not an INN, that is what the HOJO is .

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
terrymystic, General Manager Terry Connors at Howard Johnson Inn Mystic, responded to this review, 9 June 2009
Thank you for taking the time to let us know where we can iimprove, we are presently in the process of updating all of the bed toppings including fitted sheets as well as the pillows, the hall odor is also being addressed we have installed new odorizers.
We do try to accomodate all requests.

We are an established hotel in the area and work to keep it updated. Our goal is to offer a clean and comfortable room at an affordable rate with an outstanding customer service staff