“First, but certainly not last visit.”
Review of House of 1833

House of 1833
Ranked #4 of 12 Mystic B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 January 2014

My husband and I spent the MLK weekend at House of 1833 and had a memorable visit. As most reviewers have noted, the hosts were exceptionally hospitable and friendly. They were attentive to every detail that could enhance our stay. They provided a warm welcome not only to the B&B but to the Mystic area--very knowledgable; they went out of their way to find places for us to visit that matched our interests. The House itself is like a living museum, filled with art, antiques and memorabilia. Some reviewers found this "cluttered" but we found it charming.We stayed in the Cupola room, which was the most unique and interesting room we have ever seen. We have visited numerous B&Bs and this was a truly special experience. We look forward to a return visit!

1  Thank Patricia R

Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

My wife and I have been going to The House of 1833 annually since September of 2009. It's very special to us, as we stayed there the day I proposed and continue to go at least once a year. It never disappoints. Evan and Robert treat us like family. They are welcoming, easy to talk to, helpful and so kind. You walk in and feel right at home. We tried a new room this trip, The Oak. It was great! This one did not have an en suite bathroom but we had a private lavish bathroom with lock and key across the hall. It was not a problem. This visit was a little different for me as now I have a dietary restriction. They were able to not only accommodate that but made me feel like I wasn't missing out on anything. Their breakfasts are truly amazing and Pancake Sunday is a treat! We cannot wait to return! Hopefully summer so we can enjoy their HUGE pool and roam their lush and beautiful gardens.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank joriv1213
Reviewed 17 January 2014

We have been coming to the House of 1833 for 14 years. We first went under the previous ownership. That first stay was when I proposed to my wife and we have been returning at least once a year since.

We were worried before returning when Evan and Robert took over. After just a few minutes in the house we realized there was no reason to worry. They are excellent hosts. Both are warm and inviting and know all about Mystic and the surrounding areas. They have added their own nice touches to the house, like sherry and cookies in the parlor, new decor, dvd players, etc. They also add a lot of personal touches to your stay. For example, as mentioned in other reviews, if it is a special occasion they will usually accommodate the room accordingly.

This particular stay was especially magical for us. We were there with our children and the House of 1833 seems to bring out their very best behavior. Our love for the B&B and Mystic were strongly renewed thanks in a large part to Evan and Robert.

We already can't wait to return for New Year's 2014-15. We are now considering a trip in the summer as well. We can't say enough about this wonderful getaway.

Room Tip: Every room is different, ranging from size to layout to decor to extras. For example, all rooms hav...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Millerm23
Reviewed 14 January 2014

My fiancee and I stayed here for one night and had such a great experience. Evan is top notch when it comes to customer service. He actually said he's counting the days until our next return, too funny. The room was cozy, warm, and very spacious. We were very pleasantly surprised at the breakfast they served the next morning. We are food critics and couldn't believe how great the food was. Everything served was homemade, some ingredients from their own garden, and masterfully prepared. I highly recommend a visit, even if you just want to get away for a night.

Room Tip: We stayed in the IVY room which seems to be a basic room.
Reviewed 14 January 2014

We arrived to the House of 1833 and were quickly met by Evan who provided a quick tour / orientation of this Greek Revival B&B and the rich history of Mystic contained within. There's an inviting living room with comfortable sofas and the morning papers. Afternoons you'll find a silver platter and a decanter of sherry for your indulgence. We were there celebrating a milestone birthday and found our room complete with decorations and a small cake. What a nice touch. We stayed in the Veranda Room complete with a fireplace and large jacuzzi. Perfect for a cold damp New England winter getaway. The added romance package provided dinner at a local restaurant, Captain Daniel Packer Inn (A+++) and upon return fresh flowers and fireplace ready. We stayed the weekend and breakfast both mornings was FANTASTIC !!! All scratch made fresh, delicious offerings from Buttery pound cake, Apple Turnovers, and the Oatmeal & Apple Pancakes were the best. I'm guessing the only way it could have been better would be a summer weekend with breakfast outside and a relaxing day by the pool.

Reviewed 29 November 2013

We made this a stop on a larger trip so that we could see Mystic Seaport, for which it is ideally located. It was also our anniversary (which unknown to me, my husband had informed Evan and Robert, the owners about) so a bit of a romantic break.

We were treated to a specially anniversary decorated room (the Cupola room), which was very touching. The room itself was heaven - a most comfortable bed - and Robert and Even superb hosts. We were also pleasantly surprised by the swimming pool, which was wonderful after a hot day sight seeing.

My husband is still talking about the breakfast. A unique and wonderful place with charm and friendly hosts.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 November 2013

My husband and I spend the first night of my birthday weekend at the House of 1833 in the Cupola Room. It was perfect! From the birthday balloons and cake upon arrival to the amazing breakfast, everything was perfect. We are already looking forward to coming back, would love to see the house all decorated for the holidays! Thank you Evan, it was great.

Room Tip: Cupola room was amazing. We enjoyed wine up in the cupola, what a view!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple