“A Mystic Treasure”

Ranked #3 of 12 Mystic B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“A Mystic Treasure”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

My significant other and I spent two days in the Copula room on the top floor with a stairway leading to an 8'sq (+/-) cupula with windows on all 4 sides. High above - we enjoyed a gentile breeze while relaxing in two wingchairs. It was magical. The main room itself was a wonder - painted in a deep wine red and a very comfortable four poster with curtains. Every nook and cranny was decorated with prints, ceramics and Victorian/early 20th C furniture - and the wainscoated bathroom was a marvel of workmanship. The house itself was a marvel in antiques and old things that were carefully aranged to mimic disarray. Both Richard and Evan are delightful hosts and we felt at home immediately. The garden is a marvel in Heirloom plants and although It seems like it's overegrown when you start to look closely and realize it's layered with uncountable varieties of flowering plants.

Don't be shy about trusting Richard's breakfast menu - you will be rewarded with a delicious dish that leaves you wondering why you never had it before-

Room Tip: I think there are 5 guest rooms - including the Copula which was terrific The house is very well lai...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank d-k-s101

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Bohemia, New York
Reviewed 8 August 2014

My wife and I stayed only 2 nights, but we were very pleased with this b n b. We arrived super early in the day and we had not even checked in, but were asked to join them for breakfast and it was great! We felt quite at home, pet the dog, and marveled at the decor. Evan was congenial, helpful in finding things we wanted to see, and gave us tips on local restaurants and antique stores. Would go back in a second!

Room Tip: ask for cupola room!
1 Thank lsazx
Columbus, New Jersey
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I wanted to impress a girl I care very much about so I insisted that we stay here. Knowing she liked antiques and old fashioned decor I snatched up the earliest reservation I could. Although some would say this is expensive for such an old place The House of 1833 aged like fine wine. Although some of the garden was slightly overgrown (***to be honest I loved the towering exotic flowers so I didn't mind) and some deteriorated parts of the building that needed repair the style of this free spirited location is something to bring out the romance in everyone. Evan, an amazing and delightful host was always available when needed and Robert's cooking was by far some of THE BEST I have ever had. Long story short, thanks to this beautiful place, some help from Evan (ask about the romance package), and my own planning me and my girlfriend are very much in love. Thank you for such an amazing experience. I assure you we will be back for our anniversary down the line.

Room Tip: The Peach room is absolutely breath taking. The private porch made it feel like we had our own piece...
New york
Reviewed 22 July 2014

It was the love of my life's 60th birthday and I wanted to plan something special. We have never been to Mystic so began to research some B&B's. The birthday boy never visited one but was very welcoming to the idea. Thankfully, I choose the perfect place, The House of 1833. We met Robert as we parked in the back and he immediately came over and introduced himself. He quickly found Evan who proceeded to take us on a tour of the House. When he showed us our room (The Veranda), I happened to mention that the following day was my honey's birthday. When we returned from dinner that evening, there were balloons in the room along with his a cupcake. Evan remembered he mentioned chocolate and peanut butter as his favorite two flavors....as we were eating some homemade cookies...and went out to buy him one! We were off to a great start. We had a wonderful time. First, we were the only guests because we went mid-week. Evan told us it was the first quiet week they have had in a long time. When we tried to stay another night, we were hjappy for them they were booked but sad for us that we had to stay in a hotel! Robert is rather quiet but is responsible for the beautifully kept grounds and delicious breakfast! Evan is more outgoing and it ws always a pleasure to have a conversation with him. We learned so much from him - the house has been in Robert's family for years, and both gentlemen are retired professionals with interesting backgrounds. By the time we left, we felt we made new friends! We are already planning our return trip. We loved this historic house, the pool, our room, and especially the genuine warmth and hospitality of our hosts. Thanks for adding a wonderful memory to a very special man on a very special birthday.

1 Thank joewiseguy28
New York City, New York
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We just returned from beautiful Mystic CT and spent two nights at the House of 1833. We've been to many B&Bs and have never felt as welcome and as comfortable as we did here, mostly because of the charming hosts and the beautiful grounds! Evan, you are just wonderfully helpful and delightful and fun! Robert, your gardens are as beautiful as your breakfasts are delicious! We look forward to seeing you both soon! And, Sally too! What a nice woman!!

Thank you for your hospitality !! Xxo Karen and Scott

Livingston, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This was my wife's and my first experience at a bed & breakfast. We came to The House of 1833 for multiple occasions: our 1st Anniversary, my 30th birthday, and a little babymoon weekend 6 weeks before our first child's due date. After we arrived, Evan, one of the proprietors, gave us a brief introduction followed by a full tour of the historic house and grounds. Evan was very nice, welcoming, and knowledgeable about the entire area.

What did we find in our room? A Happy Birthday banner, a Happy Anniversary banner, a tiny birthday cake, birthday balloons, fresh flowers, and sparkling fruit juice (my wife being pregnant, and all.) They even put a cute rubber ducky on the keychain when they gave us the room key. Evan and Robert were nice enough to provide decorations and treats for all of our occasions, which was very nice of them. We truly enjoyed and appreciated the personal touches.

The house is very old, of course, but felt well maintained. The rooms have central air conditioning, although it can get a little warm on a hot summer night. The pool was excellent...very clean and there were plenty of chairs, shade, and pool toys. The House of 1833 is also very well located, just minutes from downtown Mystic, the aquarium, and many other activities.

The breakfast was excellent. There were amazing homemade pastries like New England Bread Pudding and fresh fruit salad to start. The main course was delicious on its own. Sunday is Pancake Sunday at the House of 1833 and we were served gourmet-style pancakes with a boatload of options.

The owners themselves are very nice and knowledgeable; we were able to talk to them about our plans and ask them for advice and suggestions. There are also a few dogs running around the property, but they are happy to leave you alone if you ignore them. Being a dog person, though, I couldn't help but play with them every chance I got.

The only negatives we can think of are these: The room smelled a little "moth ball-ish" and got a little warm at night for our liking. Finally, the towels were undersized and rough.

All in all, we would absolutely recommend the House of 1833 to anyone who is planning on visiting Mystic or any of the surrounding areas and we would not hesitate to come back.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Ivy Room. It was perfect for our needs with a Queen sized bed and private bathroom...
Forest Hills, New York
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We have never felt more welcome at any hotel or B & B we stayed at. The hosts are Evan and Robert. Evan is a most gracious host and meets travelers upon arrival to offer a tour of the historic inn and many of the antique furnishings and paintings. Each has a history of its own. The house has been Robert's family for generations, and he is largely responsible for preparing the delicious breakfasts and baked goods (pancake Sunday is a must, as you get all you can eat cpancakes from about 8 different choices). The hotel is very quiet and there is a feeling of privacy that pervades , although there is ample opportunity to mingle with other guests at breakfast and there is a parlor, where guests can sip sherry and play cards or chess. There are also beautiful grounds and a well maintained pool. We didn't get to use the pool since our weekend was a little chilly, but it looked great. We stayed in the Veranda Room, which was furnished with a King sized bed several antique sofas and chairs, a fireplace, and oversized hot tub. I also came with a private veranda overlooking the grounds and pool. A decanter of sherry was made available each night in our room. I had told Evan when we made the reservations that we would be celebrating my wife's birthday. The room was prepared accordingly with birthday decorations and a delicious home made cake. We were also in close proximity to Mystic Seaport and Aquarium, which made sight seeing a convenient possibility. There are also many great restaurants in Mystic, and Evan is glad to mention some of his favorites. That being said...it was very hard to leave the beautiful surroundings of the B & B, even for a little while. The 1833 House is a beautiful and interesting home, cared for lovingly by gracious hosts. We would definitely look here first if we visit Mystic again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple