“Very disappointed.”
Review of Kate's Cafe - CLOSED

Kate's Cafe
Reviewed 31 August 2013

As a vegetarian for 40 years I was thrilled to know I could eat veg on my visit to Mystic. Maybe I've been spoiled by the excellent cuisine at Bloodroot in Bridgeport. Kate's seemed to be pushing vinegar in everything. The alleged peanut sauce tasted like it and the portobello mushroom had apparently been marinated in it. The strange bread would have been tasty hot with jam for breakfast but was all wrong for a sandwich. The greens were fresh but everything else was disappointing. The service was adequate but not very friendly.

Kate S, Owner at Kate's Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2013

Hi -
I am very sorry to hear you were so disappointed, but did you raise any of these issues to your server? As I was in the house all weekend, I would have ensured that you left satisfied, and you most certainly would not have paid for your portobello burger nor your rice noodle salad. Normally, I would offer you a meal on the house to give us a second chance, but unfortunately, Sunday the 1st was our last day in business. As a result, I feel my hands are tied. Again, I am sorry to hear you were dissatisfied, and I sincerely wish there were something I could do to rectify it.
Kind regards,
Kate

Reviewed 23 July 2013

Great stop. Open for about a year it was very clean and friendly. We would go back for more. The coffee I'd dripped into each cup. Cool and coconut cream as an option.

1  Thank yachtwork
Reviewed 15 June 2013

Went there today for an early Father's Day. I'm a vegan and wanted to try it.

It wasn't busy, so there shouldn't have been a problem with the service..... wrong.

I had to remind my server twice about a cup of coffee and twice about the soup (my daughter and wife got theirs earlier) My soup appetizer was missing papaya (the reason I ordered it). My Open-Face-Taco sandwich was dry and bland and was also missing an ingredient (vegan cheese). It came back with the cheese sprinkled on top unmelted. The tortillas were undercooked. The avocado wasn't even close to ripe. The coffee was almost $4.00 and was watery.

My wife and daughter mentioned the dryness of my dish suggesting something like salsa or lime on the side. The waitress said she thought I might have a "lime allergy" as a reason why THAT ingredient wasn't included?????

In fairness, both my wife's and daughter's dishes were complete, but equally bland.

Finally, there was no offer to reduce the bill even a few dollars. We paid up, left a standard 20% tip and I decided to write one of many site reviews.

If you want a better vegetarian/vegan selection and service, go less than a mile north on Rt 1 to The Pita Spot or the Voodoo Lounge back in the center of Mystic.

I don't plan on returning.

Reviewed 2 March 2013 via mobile

Five of us ate lunch here and four of us were happy. Our fifth member is a nine year old picky eater so she doesn't really count lol. We each ordered something different and shared our plates. Everything was equally delicious, and I pestered our server for one of the recipes. My personal favorite was the hummus sandwich!

Reviewed 11 February 2013

I don't even know where to start with Kate's Cafe'... Ever since I went with my boyfriend last week I have been bragging about it to everyone! My boyfriend and I are both vegan, and were in there area so we stopped by for lunch. We walked in to this petite, charming, down-to-earth dining room. The room had ample window lighting, and warm colored walls. We were seated by this very sweet and welcoming lady, who told us of the specials. I decided on the barley vegetable soup (a cup) and the quinoa and black bean salad. My boyfriend got the chickpea burger on the gluten-free bun (house-made!) and a side salad. She dropped off my soup first, and it was seriously the most amazing soup I have ever had. (I work at a vegan restaurant and went to Culinary School, and adore soup.) The soup was so good, that I asked for another cup. She brought it over and assured me she would only charge for a bowl "because it's cheaper than two cups." You don't get that much these days... The quinoa and black bean salad was fresh and beautifully plated.. My boyfriend's burger was HUGE and served with a side of healthfully roasted potatoes. The gluten-free bread was soft and out-of-this-world. His side salad was simple, and included sprouts, which I don't see much in side salads.. For dessert, my boyfriend ordered tea and a big, rustic muffin they had on display. The server told us that chocolate chip cookies were also fresh out of the oven about an hour ago... I couldn't resist. And gosh, she wasn't kidding... apparently the cookie was also gluten-free yet soft, chewy, and bursting with chocolate chips. We really went all out that day. On top of it, the bill didn't even come to $40, and we walked away full with no intention of eating much else the rest of the day. We can't wait to go back, and moral of the story, if you are ever in the area, and are a meat-eater or vegan, you won't be disappointed. There is something for everyone, and you can tell they really love what they do back in the kitchen. Hands down, 5 stars!