“location, location, location”

Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Mystic
Wappingers Falls, New York
“location, location, location”
Reviewed 24 October 2012

This hotel is in the perfect spot right across from the Aquarium, Old Mystic Village, right next to the Steak Loft and a very short drive to the Seaport! We stayed in a king room which has pull out sofa. The room was very large compared to other hotels and this was the best priced hotel in the area. Our room was very clean and the bed was one of the more comfortable beds I have had at a hotel. The staff was friendly but we only dealt with them at check in /out so there wasn't alot of interaction with them. The free breakfast was just ok but the pancake machine was not working when we were there so maybe that would have made it better. The only complaint I have about the place is the pool area is all smooth tiles which when wet (which they are always going to be around a pool and hot tub) are EXTREMELY slippery. My three year old loves to jump into the water but we couldn't let him do that here because everytime he got out he would fall down. We saw about 4 other kids there that were also slipping all over. So when using the pool with littler ones be careful as it can be pretty dangerous. Other then that we had a wonderful stay here and would come again.

1 Thank Arme14

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 5 October 2012

We stayed here in late Aug. 2012 and the location was fantastic. The desk staff was ok, nothing great; I think the best description would be "wooden". Rooms...Surface (quick) clean but definitely not maintained. Yes, the hotel has been renovated and the entrance is very nice, but the rooms were in need of help. As others have noted, you can see where furniture has been moved & dust, etc remains, walls & wallpaper needs fixing, mold on top of walls in bathroom. In searching the room to make sure my daughter didn't leave any toys, etc, I came across a sock from a previous visitor (under the bed skirt). Bed was comfortable, no complaints and again, location couldn't have been better. Walk to Olde Mystic shops, restaurants and aquarium. Short and easy drive to Seaport w/ good parking available. Bottom line, I'd probably stay there again as price was better than other hotels in area but might bring my own vacuum LOL!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Laurie B
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mystic, responded to this review, 27 October 2012
Dear Laurie B,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express Mystic. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Karen G.
Naugatuck, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed 27 September 2012

This hotel is conveniently located across from Olde Mystic Village and the Aquarium. The rooms are large, clean, and comfortable. Rooms with a king bed also feature a sleeper sofa, making it perfect for our family. The pool and whirlpool were a lot of fun. Guests can also purchase tickets to the aquarium at a discount. Compared to other area hotels, you can't beat the value. The service at the front desk could have been friendlier, however she was efficient. Overall, great value and location. We will stay here again.

Room Tip: If visiting aquarium, ask front desk about discounted tickets.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Pamela C
Melville, New York
Reviewed 24 September 2012

The room was huge compared to what we were use to. The staff was nice, the hotel was quiet and was in a great location to all the attractions. The kids enjoyed the pool also. The bathroom was a little on the small side - but was clean. THe breakfast was very good.

Reading Pa
Reviewed 24 September 2012

The hotel is in a great location to visit the Mystic area. The hotel is in very good condition and the rooms were very nice. The check-in staff was great and let us in early even, then being a platinum member has some benefits.

The only negative was the women at the front desk overnight. I'm an ealry riser and would go to the dining area around 5:45 and allow my wife to sleep in and I have to say she was a bit grumpy for me. When asked for the password to get on line on my laptop she first tells me its on the check-in card, ok I don't have that with me. She then rattles it off, nothing obvious, easy to remember. So I ask her repeat and I right it down, it doesn't work, I ask her again this time I interrupt her as she is playing a facebook game in the business center. I get quick quip did you use all capital letters? No -Did you tell me to use all caps? Never left her game. Not a big thing just rubbed me the wrong way, when you know there was no need for it.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Hooksett, New Hampshire
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Unpleasantly surprised!

Our room was shabby; the carpet stained & frayed, the couch dirty & the bathroom had mildew growing on the wall as well as a broken fan.

Staff was pleasant but sevice was poor & even the coffee am. was cold.

Great location but needs total reno! Would defintely not stay here again!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mystic, responded to this review, 30 September 2012
Dear SherBB46124,

Thank you for your review. I'm truly pleased you found our location and our staff commendable. I am sorry for the unusual condition of your room and regret you were not satisfied with the service you received. Your feedback is very important to us and will be used to reconsider improvements needed.

While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Joel B
Reviewed 15 September 2012 via mobile

Was here for three nights. The room was nice and big. The carpet was very stained in my room. The carpet in the halls was not vacuumed by the edges, it looked very dusty. I don't think they really wiped down my bathroom counter, I could still feel stuff on it. The ac/heater only produced cold air even when I turned it up to 80. Luckily the weather was ok and I just turned it off. My door was locked, but did not seem to latch all the way. It would move slightly in the frame when I pushed on it. The front decked was usually unmanned and I saw people there waiting all the time. I did sleep well each night and enjoyed the Mystic area. I feel that a bunch of improvements could be made to make this a much more attractive and pleasant place to stay.

Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mystic, responded to this review, 29 September 2012
Dear Cobi S,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I am glad that you found our room accommodations good enough for your needs. I want to assure you that we work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn Express around. Please accept my sincerest apology for falling short of your expectations on this day, especially with the bathroom and air conditioning issues you experienced.

Pam G.