“disappointed”

Holiday Inn Express Mystic
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Mystic
Reviewed 21 April 2013

We stayed here for two nights for a mini spring break vacation with the kids. Hotel was OK. Location was good. The cards readers on the door were awful. It took as many as 20 tries sometime to get in. I thought it might be us but the woman at the front desk said they were difficult. She said to put the card in, take it out, wiggle it a bit, then it should work. Seems like it should not be so difficult.

While packing up all of the kids and their things, I left my ipad charger in the room. I called as soon as we got home. The person I spoke with said they would look into it an call me back. Twenty four hours later, no call. I called again and was told that it hasn't turned up yet. I was hoping for honesty and a bit of customer service....not here.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Kate K, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mystic, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2013

Dear kellysz72,

Thank you writing a review regarding your experience during your recent stay. We greatly appreciate you taking time to bring this matter to our attention and apologies for any inconvenience you may have experience due to noise from other guests.
It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Management Team

Reviewed 21 April 2013 via mobile

You can't beat the location if you're visiting the Mystic aquarium; it's across the street and up a hill (although I don't see it as walkable) because the street is busy.

We visited during April school vacation week. We had two rooms and had requested adjoining rooms, which we did not get. The rooms were next to each other but with no connecting door; there was no explanation of why we didn't get the adjoining rooms and they were busy so there was no choice.

The rooms were clean. No issues there. There's LOTS of noise from other rooms, like a TV next door and especially upstairs if you're not on the top floor (3). It sounded like people were doing gymnastics above us until 9:30 pm.

The pool is SMALL. When you know your hotel is in the middle of family attractions why would you have such a small pool?

If you have a sweet tooth you might like breakfast. There aren't many choices that aren't super sweet (the pastries, cinnamon buns and even the yogurt) or super salty (pre-made omelets). There were also biscuits and gravy, a strange choice for this region of the country and no one was taking the it.

Overall I probably wouldn't stay again -- I'd look for something with a bigger pool.

• Stayed: April 2013

Dear CTfamily2boys,

Thank you for your review of your previous stay. We are sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your stay. Unfortunately we do not have adjoining rooms at our hotel. The option that we can offer for big families is to give you rooms next or close to each other.
Our breakfast is standard breakfast for Holiday Inn Express hotels. Items may vary depends on region. We would be happy to offer something that meets your preferences but unfortunately cannot do it due to Corporate rules and regulations.
While we cannot take back your experience at the hotel, please be certain that we appreciate your honesty and will do everything in our power to improve guests experience in the future.

Best regards,

Reviewed 17 April 2013

QUICK REVIEW:
Our small family of three desired to getaway for a short trip during school vacation. We had planned to visit the Mystic Aquarium as well as the Olde Mystic Village shops. One of the largest variables for us and likely many other families is how much the lodging is going to cost and whether or not it will be "kid friendly". So to offer a quick review for those not interested in granular details, the Holiday Inn Express in Mystic was a very family-friendly facility and our family of three enjoyed ourselves thoroughly. The hotel met or exceeded all of our expectations. The facility appeared very clean and modern. Our son loved the pool and hot tub. Upon leaving today, my wife said she could definitely see us returning to this facility next year for a similar trip.

MORE IN DEPTH REVIEW:

As we pulled in to the parking lot of the Holiday Inn Express, we were presented with a very large beautiful facility high up on a grassy hill the literally overlooked the village and aquarium. Our son said "Oooh, this hotel is fancy".

CHECK-IN PROCESS:
We arrived slightly before the actual 3PM check-in time. I approached the counter to ask if we could check in and at that time the staff explained that our room was not ready yet, which was to be expected. We went over and had a seat on the comfy couches in the beautiful, very large and bright lobby near the warm fireplace. As I sat on the couch I took in the huge cathedral ceilings and made note of the overall modern feel of the place. As we waited, there were some others waiting as well and we joked about the "magic 3PM" check-in time and the rooms would suddenly be available. Our 9 year old didn't mind the wait.. he was very entertained by the large dolphin water fountain out front. A few minutes after 3PM, we were called up to the desk to check in.

ROOM:
My wife uses a wheelchair. I had not specifically reserved or requested an accessible room. I was pleasantly surprised that the hotel changed my room type with an accessible room without my needing to ask. Upon entering the room, our son said "this is a really nice room". It was very spacious with two comfortable queen sized beds, a little coffee cabinet with fridge and microwave, a working table, a TV cabinet and a couch by the windows. The bathroom, being an accessible room, was quite spacious. There were grab bars in all expected locations and my wife felt safe. She asked me to mention that the space was great for her purposes. Again, my observations were that the majority of the decor and furnishings were fairly modern. Our room seemed very clean and there were no "funky" odors, etc. My wife also asked that I mention that she appreciated the fact that you could actually open the windows in your room to let natural fresh air in from outdoors.

The complimentary Wi-Fi didn't seem to work with the logon information they gave us. As I was about to inquire at the front desk, a notice was slipped under our door apologizing for any inconvenience and mentioned that the password was being changed and informed us of the new logon. This is evidence of a staff "on the ball".

My only two complaints about the room were that the card readers do a horrible job of reading the cards. It takes several swipes to maybe get your door to open. I heard the same issue from other guests. We even tried to get our card replaced thinking it was the card, but the same issue existed. Also, the shower head was mounted to a grab bar in the shower and had a lever that was supposed to lock it in place to prevent it from sliding down the bar vertically. The mechanism itself was pretty loose, which resulted in putting the shower head up high and then it'd slide down the bar and be too low to actually shower with. I'm quite positive this would've been resolved quickly by a member of the staff tightening it, had we called about it.

SWIMMING POOL:
One of the major attractions for families when they travel with their kids is to have access to a pool. This was definitely one of the reasons we booked this hotel. We also appreciated, given the cool temps, that this pool was indoors. This isn't a complaint, but an observation. The pool at this facility is a very odd size. It is rather small, however didn't seem over crowded at all. The sign in the pool area mentioned that the occupancy limit for the pool is 20 people. I definitely think 20 people would be pushing it.

The pool is apparently a salt water pool from what I was reading, however the water at the "deep" end is approx 5.5ft deep. This was great for our son. My only issue was that the water was so cloudy that we had dropped his fluorescent multi colored goggles in the water and as soon as they began to sink, we couldn't see them at all. I'm not sure if the water is supposed to be as cloudy as it was. Also, beware, the pool is concrete and the floor is a little rough on the feet as far as the potential to scrape or scratch.

The staff was very diligent about keeping the towels stocked in the towel rack as well as draping towels over the backs of all the chairs. I even saw one of the staff spending lots of time cleaning the glass doors and windows entering the pool area.

The overall pool room could benefit very much from some interior lighting treatments different from what they have. Being indoor, it seemed a bit dreary when it wasn't very sunny outside.

HOT TUB:
Our 9 year old son loved loved loved the hot tub. He sat in it numerous times and leaned back in to the strong bubbles and said "Aaah, this is the life". I think that says it all!

OUTDOOR FIRE PLACE:
Yesterday the pool area was just too warm/humid for me, so I went outside and sat in one of the chairs around the outdoor / propane fire pit. The combo of cold air vs. warm fire was just the perfect balance and it was right outside the pool area. I considered this a "nice touch".

BREAKFAST:
The breakfast offerings at this hotel were pretty decent. They had starting from left to right the following offerings:

*Fridge stocked with milks, butter, cream cheese, peeled hard boiled eggs and yogurts.

*A warmer stocked with trays of pre-packaged, but good (according to my wife) cinnamon rolls

*Another warmer with bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs (omelets the first day), biscuits (which my wife said were good) etc.

*A 4 slice toaster

*A multi-tier display with various fresh fruits.

*A cabinet filled with muffins, various types of bread and really thick / large bagels.

*A pancake making machine. I tried this just for novelty and the pancakes were actually decent.

The only item that I felt was really missing for breakfast choices was oatmeal. I didn't see a big pot or anything offering this.

FITNESS CENTER:
This hotel has a fairly small fitness center. There are two treadmills, an elliptical, some hand weights, a ball, a TV, a scale, a water cooler with plastic wrapped cups and a towel rack. Our 9 year old enjoyed using the treadmill and lifted the hand weights a few times.

PROXIMITY TO VILLAGE AND AQUARIUM:
Distance wise, you can't beat it. The shops and aquarium are a stones-throw from the hotel.

This hotel is located very high up on a hill. My wife, as I mentioned earlier, uses a wheelchair. I wouldn't say that it's really safe to try and walk from the hotel to the shops, which are right across the street. Doing so involves traversing down the large hill driveway to an extremely busy road with several blind spots for oncoming traffic. The best way was to either go left out of the driveway and walk on a somewhat poorly maintained sidewalk and go all the way down to the traffic light and cross at the crosswalk and then walk back up the hill a little ways to the shops entrance. We were trying to be "fit" and decided to walk it but there was really no obvious pedestrian friendly ways to do this. If we took a right out of the driveway, it was another long sidewalk to another traffic light, which had slightly better crosswalks, etc.

GENERAL COMMENTS:
One thing we found odd was the shops all close at 6pm. After checking in at 3pm, getting settled, doing some swimming, it was about 5:40pm and we went to the shops across the street. It was literally a ghost town. We checked out a few shops and planned to return the following morning. That obviously has nothing to do with the Holiday Inn Express though, just worth mentioning for any travelers looking for some general feedback about the area.

Room Tip: Don't try to check in before 3PM, especially on a school vacation week :-)
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Stayed here with wife and two five-year olds for two nights in August 2012. The biggest problem is that they don't really have suites or larger rooms to accommodate a family, which was a signficant drawback for us. Other than that, it's centrally located next to the aquarium and is close to other attractions. It's new, so it's clean and modern. There is a great little pool and hot tub right off of the lobby which was a big draw for the kids. Free breakfast buffet was there, but quite lame.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 April 2013

Rooms were nice sized, hotel was clean, in a great location in Mystic (highly recommend Mystic Diner in the strip mall at the stoplight). Staff was so-so. Pool closed really early (9pm). Staff was ok.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Bmx Family,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us to improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. We are sorry our hotel did not live up to your expectations and regret that you were not satisfied with service.
Though we would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed 7 April 2013

This is a nice basic hotel, free breakfast, nice sized room, WiFi, courteous staff, location is very good, especially if staying local.

As a low-mid level hotel, the interior is basic and therefore can be noisy. If other guests are even slightly loud you will know. If there are unsupervised kids/teens, you will definitely know. There was either a soccer or baseball team there when we were and that meant lots of noise and running back and forth in the hallways. The staff addressed the issue with the kids not the parents and therefore the trouble continued. Issue slowed down when another guest addressed the kids directly.

I may try again or may try the Hyatt Place, another basic hotel but a bit less expensive.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TwinCs

Hello TwinCs!

Thank you so much for your review and thank you for recognizing our location and features of our hotel. We do apologize for the inconvenience due to noise level from other rooms. Hope that you will give us a second chance and stay at our property again in a future.

Management Team

Reviewed 6 April 2013 via mobile

This Holiday inn express is like most of the others clean and neat. Is is a good location about a mile or so from the seaport and across the street from the aquarium and mystic village. We have a king suite and it is great. Lots of room. Everything is new

• Stayed: April 2013