“Clean Best is all I needed” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Mystic

Holiday Inn Express Mystic
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Mystic
Coventry, Connecticut
“Clean Best is all I needed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

My Wife and I were celebrating a birthday in Mystic and were going to the beach the next day. We did not want to drive, we we looked into the hotels. Mystic Marriott was was too much and this place seemed to be the perfect fit. The staff was extremely friendly and accomidating, with lost of suggestions for down town. Although not very modern, the room was clean, bed was soft, and the bathroom was sparkling. When I am not looking for a resort to stay in for a week, by spend $300 when I can come here for much less. Overall, no complaints...just dont expect a 4 star hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013

My wife and I returned to this nice hotel and spent 2 nights there this past week. We have stayed here several times over the past few years and nothing has changed. The property is well maintained and clean. The rooms are also in very good condition and comfortable. The front desk staff did their job and in fact I should add that they actually went beyond good due to a malfunction with their room keys. During our first day every time we returned to our room and tried to use the key it did not work. Every time. That required a return trip to the front desk at which time my key was reprogrammed but the first time that still didn't work. After I returned to the desk again the attendant returned to our room with me and showed me how to use the key. Due to an issue with their system the key had to be removed very slowly or it didn't work. The word slowly was an understatement because no matter how slowely I tried it still didn't work until I finally discovered it took slowely with a slight twist. The bottom line is over the 2 days we spent at that hotel I returned to the desk at least 5 times seeking help. The key system was definately in desperate need of repair and we spoke to several other residents and they had similar problems.
The breakfast was better that we have received at similarly rated hotels. My only complaint is the owner/manager does not provide the necessary staff to get the job done properly. On the evening shift there was one person assigned to the desk, Allecia, who was wearing several hats. She had to leave her post at the desk and traven to our room on the third floor to let us in our room and that happened several times over 2 days. She was a one person dynamo and did a great job. The young lady at breakfast did her best to maintain the food and coffee level but there came a time when it became impossible for one person to do it all and everyone needed to form a line for what thay wanted. Not very professional for a hotel charging $200+ a night. My last observation was the fact this hotel has one elevator and very often, when someone decided to hold the elevator for a "Slowpoke" we all waited, and waited, and waited.
This is a nice hotel, not great but we will return.

Room Tip: Get a room on the first floor and avoid the elevator issue.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mystic, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
Dear Jack F,

Thank you for leaving a comprehensive review, highlighting not only the bad but also the good points of your stay. We appreciate your kind words regarding our staff, but we regret letting you down on some aspects of your stay. Please accept our apologies for the problems you experienced with the key. We appreciate your feedback and rest assured that it will be used for future improvements. We look forward to hosting you again.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

We stayed here Thurs. night and were very happy with the hotel it is very convent to the aquarium and seaport. There are many restaurants nearby even within walking distance. We ate at the Boathouse and were very happy with the food and service. Before we left for dinner, the desk clerk gave us a discount card for dinner There was a slight problem with the tv remote and the night clerk, Ms Howard could not have been more helpful. Our granddaughter had a great time in the pool.

Gaffney, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

I had made reservations well in advance of our planned trip to Canada from South Carolina. When I arrived check in went smooth the lady behind the desk was very helpful. Our room was clean and nice sized. The pool was clean and the grandson and I enjoyed it. It was a tad cool though on the verge to being cold. The hotel is conveniently located to the Aquarium, old Mystic shops and restaurants. It is also a short drive to the Mystic Seaport area. All in all it was a great visit. I knew that I would be staying in Bangor, Maine on our return trip and because I was not sure of the driveling time from Bangor to our next destination Dinosaur State Park in Rocky Hill Conn. I decided to make reservations here again. I do not regret that decision. As when we stayed the first time I encountered no problems and we enjoyed both stays. I would recommend this hotel to a visitor to Mystic.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Orange, Connecticut, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

I am not sure what happened to this hotel but this last trip was a huge disappointment. Plumbing is obviously not maintained because we had two rooms and one had a shower that did not work and the other had a toilet that didn't flush. The restrooms near the pool are always plugged up and disgusting. Speaking of the pool, they shock it with baking soda which leaves the water cloudy. By the way, there was no chlorine on premises. I asked.

The elevator had food on the floor for three days until I advised the manager that someone should clean it up before some pests beat them to it. I over heard others speaking of how they got a free room because of issues they had. We did, too.

The problem is they are short staffed. Wouldn't it be cheaper to hire more staff than to give away free rooms?

• 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Maureen L
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mystic, responded to this review, 1 September 2013
Dear Maureen L,

Thank you for your recent stay at our hotel and for sparing your very valuable time to submit a detailed feedback of your experience during your stay with us.

We are saddened to hear of your encounters in our hotel and would like to extend our sincere apologies for the inconvenience and dissatisfaction caused by our bathroom facility. We regret that your experience with us was not ideal and we are sorry for the lapse in service during your stay.

It is only through valuable feedback we receive from our valued customers that we would be in a position to know where we go wrong and rectify the circumstances or incidents, in order to ensure that we do not repeat the same in the future. Once again, thank you for your comments.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Upstate New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

This hotel is perfect for a stay in Mystic. It is just across the street from the Mystic Aquarium and Old Mystick Shops. It is also next to a small outlet strip mall with a yummy frozen yogurt place. This is a good location for Mystic. It took only a few minutes to get to the beach and downtown Mystic.

I had reserved online and then was able to use my AAA discount at the front desk. The pool is small but adequate and there is a hot tub. Our room was clean and a good size. We had a king and pullout sofa which worked well for our family.

The front desk staff was friendly although the first night we were there we asked for an extra pillow and it never came. They brought us two extra pillows the next day when they cleaned our room. The toilet overflowed on our second night and the front desk staff came and mopped up the floor with towels but didn't clean the floor.

Breakfast in the morning was a little crowded. There never seemed to be enough food out and there were more people than could fit in the breakfast area. The food that was served was fine and it was nice to have hot items in addition to the regular continental items in most hotels. We may have just been at breakfast at a busy time. Overall, we would stay here again when visiting Mystic.

1 Thank Pialry
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

This hotel looks brand new. Clean rooms, right near all the other chain hotels around I95 in Mystic. Our room had a jacuzzi tub. Small pool indoors, free breakfast, lots of people with kids and families. I would stay here again. Walkable to seaport along a nice sidewalk. Stop and get an ice cream at the small restaurant. You are also right across the street bfrom the aquarium and stores. Good location. Normally when you book a hotel you think you need to be right downtown, and while that would have its advantages, this isn't a bad option at all.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank LoveaGoodPub
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mystic
Hampton Inn & Suites Mystic
Inn at Mystic
Inn at Mystic
#4 of 13 in Mystic
Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa

Been to Holiday Inn Express Mystic? Share your experiences!