“Super nice”

Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Mystic
Middle Island NY
“Super nice”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Stayed here for one night so we could go to Mystic Aquarium on Labor Day. Hotel and room is very clean and nicely decorated. Easy to register and get to our room. Room was lovely, king sized bed, large flat screen TV, microwave, fridge, internet access and plenty of electrical sockets to plug in our devices. The bed was heavenly, very comfortable.

Pros:
Nice hotel, decorated with class
Nice room appointments with comfy bed and quiet AC unit
Awesome free breakfast spread including hot biscuits, eggs with cheese, pancakes (you make), muffins, bagles, juices, coffees, etc.

Cons:
Although we could access to the pool after hours, we could not gain access to the seating area outside with the adirondack chairs and fire pit from either inside pool area or outside fence. There was no gate for access from the outside parking lot area.

Door key card worked intermittently, sometimes requiring 5 swipes before it would register on our room. Did not work at all following morning and we called front desk, they said they would give us another one but we were checking out anyway.

Room Tip: Parking is limited in front of hotel, easier to take stairs to reach vehicle parked in back. Stairs...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Elinore

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Had an overnight stay at this hotel during Labor Day weekend. Walking distance to Olde Mystic Village and Aquarium, very quiet and clean rooms. The beds are comfortable. The furniture is cute, but shows aging. Overall, hotel is clean and nice looking. However, the coffee maker in our room was visibly broken, and TV remote did not work at all. When called the fromt desk, they promised to fix everything tomorrow- unfortunately, "tomorrow" at 11 am we were checking off. The key card system is awful, you have to spend several minutes just to get into your room. Breakfast ends at 9:30 am, which is absolutely inconvenient when you are on a short vacation. No attractions discounts were offered by this hotel. For $200+ a night, a would expect much better service- should be priced at $130 a night tops. Not a good value for the money.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DEYZ
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mystic, responded to this review, 20 September 2013
Dear DEYZ,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We are so glad you liked the fine location of our hotel in the area. We would like to apologize for the over-all issues you had during your stay and any inconvenience you may have encountered. We want to assure you that our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Kingston, NY
Reviewed 26 August 2013

My wife and I spent one night and will return when in the area. Well appointed hotel, very clean and close to all attractions in Mystic. The property is right off interstate 95 but you can hear a pin drop inside the room which was quite big and well appointed as well; two twin beds, a sofa, fridge, microwave, coffee maker, TV, the works. I travel quite a bit and this hotel has one of the most comfortable bed and pillow combination ever. The staff is professional and polite and the free breakfast delicious; including sausages, omelets, etc. Would recommend without hesitation.

Coventry, Connecticut
Reviewed 26 August 2013

My Wife and I were celebrating a birthday in Mystic and were going to the beach the next day. We did not want to drive, we we looked into the hotels. Mystic Marriott was was too much and this place seemed to be the perfect fit. The staff was extremely friendly and accomidating, with lost of suggestions for down town. Although not very modern, the room was clean, bed was soft, and the bathroom was sparkling. When I am not looking for a resort to stay in for a week, by spend $300 when I can come here for much less. Overall, no complaints...just dont expect a 4 star hotel.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 August 2013

My wife and I returned to this nice hotel and spent 2 nights there this past week. We have stayed here several times over the past few years and nothing has changed. The property is well maintained and clean. The rooms are also in very good condition and comfortable. The front desk staff did their job and in fact I should add that they actually went beyond good due to a malfunction with their room keys. During our first day every time we returned to our room and tried to use the key it did not work. Every time. That required a return trip to the front desk at which time my key was reprogrammed but the first time that still didn't work. After I returned to the desk again the attendant returned to our room with me and showed me how to use the key. Due to an issue with their system the key had to be removed very slowly or it didn't work. The word slowly was an understatement because no matter how slowely I tried it still didn't work until I finally discovered it took slowely with a slight twist. The bottom line is over the 2 days we spent at that hotel I returned to the desk at least 5 times seeking help. The key system was definately in desperate need of repair and we spoke to several other residents and they had similar problems.
The breakfast was better that we have received at similarly rated hotels. My only complaint is the owner/manager does not provide the necessary staff to get the job done properly. On the evening shift there was one person assigned to the desk, Allecia, who was wearing several hats. She had to leave her post at the desk and traven to our room on the third floor to let us in our room and that happened several times over 2 days. She was a one person dynamo and did a great job. The young lady at breakfast did her best to maintain the food and coffee level but there came a time when it became impossible for one person to do it all and everyone needed to form a line for what thay wanted. Not very professional for a hotel charging $200+ a night. My last observation was the fact this hotel has one elevator and very often, when someone decided to hold the elevator for a "Slowpoke" we all waited, and waited, and waited.
This is a nice hotel, not great but we will return.

Room Tip: Get a room on the first floor and avoid the elevator issue.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mystic, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
Dear Jack F,

Thank you for leaving a comprehensive review, highlighting not only the bad but also the good points of your stay. We appreciate your kind words regarding our staff, but we regret letting you down on some aspects of your stay. Please accept our apologies for the problems you experienced with the key. We appreciate your feedback and rest assured that it will be used for future improvements. We look forward to hosting you again.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
new york
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We stayed here Thurs. night and were very happy with the hotel it is very convent to the aquarium and seaport. There are many restaurants nearby even within walking distance. We ate at the Boathouse and were very happy with the food and service. Before we left for dinner, the desk clerk gave us a discount card for dinner There was a slight problem with the tv remote and the night clerk, Ms Howard could not have been more helpful. Our granddaughter had a great time in the pool.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Gaffney, South Carolina
Reviewed 17 August 2013

I had made reservations well in advance of our planned trip to Canada from South Carolina. When I arrived check in went smooth the lady behind the desk was very helpful. Our room was clean and nice sized. The pool was clean and the grandson and I enjoyed it. It was a tad cool though on the verge to being cold. The hotel is conveniently located to the Aquarium, old Mystic shops and restaurants. It is also a short drive to the Mystic Seaport area. All in all it was a great visit. I knew that I would be staying in Bangor, Maine on our return trip and because I was not sure of the driveling time from Bangor to our next destination Dinosaur State Park in Rocky Hill Conn. I decided to make reservations here again. I do not regret that decision. As when we stayed the first time I encountered no problems and we enjoyed both stays. I would recommend this hotel to a visitor to Mystic.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family