“Great weekend in Mystic”

Holiday Inn Express Mystic
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Mystic
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I really don't understand people's reviews sometimes. When people give a facility poor rating because they encountered someone having a bad day or there was a noisy family across the hallway...etc. Here is what I experienced at this Holiday Inn Express:

I reserved 3 room and all 3 rooms were VERY clean, well appointed and smelled clean. It was also VERY spacious. My brother stayed at the Marriott a few miles away and even he said that our rooms were bigger. The location was perfect! Unlike some of the other hotels I looked at, it sits on top of a hill, with pretty views and is located right near the old town and the aquarium.

The staff was very friendly and the kids loved the complimentary breakfast. If you are a platinum member at the Ritz, this hotel of course will not make you happy. If you are looking for a well appointed, clean, spacious hotel room at an excellent location, then this hotel is perfect.

Room Tip: Stay on the 3rd floor. This way, you wont have any family with kids running around upstairs.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank user7

Reviewed 23 October 2013

My husband and I stayed at this Holiday Inn Express this past weekend for a convention we were going to close by. We arrived at the hotel around 11pm on Sunday night (10/20) and were greeted by a charming staff member at the front desk (sarcasm). It was an older lady who was crude and seemed like she just wanted to get us checked in so we would go away. The best part was when my husband asked "where is the closest parking to our room?" and she replied "honey, I don't go out to check which spaces are available in the parking lot." Like, seriously? Seriously. The other girl standing at the desk knew what we meant and quickly told us to park behind the building since that entrance was closer. The other weird thing was that none of the front desk seemed to have a proper uniform...

Other then that, the hotel was ok. Breakfast was stocked, but the omelet I think had meat in it, which I made the mistake of biting into and I'm a vegetarian. I thought hotels usually kept egg products meat free so there was not much there for me to eat. Room was decent and clean. Not sure if we would stay again if we go back to the area.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank traveldiva2585
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mystic, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Dear traveldiva2585,

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 18 October 2013

My girlfriend decided to surprise me with a trip to Mystic, CT for my birthday. We checked in around 3pm and were told that their would be a complimentary bottle of champagne in the fridge. When we opened the door to the room, we were immediately confronted with a very strong odor of marijuana. Housekeeping had even left the window open, bathroom fan on and the AC running, but the smell was still overwhelming. We went down to the front desk to see if another room was available. We told the desk clerk about the situation, and she wasn’t at all surprised. She informed us that there was a wedding party at the hotel the night before, and that she could smell it on every floor of the hotel that night. She went and checked the only other room available, and it too smelled strongly of marijuana. So she offered us $50 off of the room, but suggested that we speak to the manager in the AM as she would probably just comp the room. When we checked out in the morning, the manager couldn’t have had less sympathy for us. “We are a smoke free hotel, but we can’t control our guests.” she said. So we decided to email Holiday Inn directly, their reply “Oh my god! I’m sorry you had such a bad experience.”

So needless to say, this will be our last ever stay at any Holiday Inn Express. Oh ya, that complimentary bottle of champagne… didn’t exist. If I could give them a 0 out of 5, I would.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Tom C
Kate K, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mystic, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Dear Tom C,

Thank you for taking time to review our property. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. We are sorry our hotel did not live up to your expectations and regret that you were not satisfied with the condition of the room you received and customer service.
Though we would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Management Team

Reviewed 6 October 2013

Booked this for the price, location and decent reviews for Mystics area. Had a king room, huge, I actually did cartwheels in there. Loved the microwave, fridge where we kept snacks,beer, water, yogurts, etc. two desk areas, couch, flat screen TV, free Wi Fi. Clean room, AC worked great, quiet, free parking and nice complimentary breakfast each morning. Great value for the $$.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TravelingKramers
Kate K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mystic, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Dear TravelingKramers,

Thank you for an excellent review and for sharing your experience of your stay with us. We have shared your feedback with the team and look forward to welcoming you back again.

Yours sincerely,
Kate K

Reviewed 5 October 2013

Your typical mid-range Holiday Inn Express. During the summer expect to pay premium prices due to the tourists.

We booked a block of rooms, and everyone enjoyed their stay. The rooms were clean and the suite was large but had the floorplan of a triangle. A bit odd but it worked.

It is located across from Olde Mystic Village, but you are over a mile from downtown Mystic. The walk to Mystic takes you past a cemetery, Mystic Seaport and homes. Not much on the way.

Complimentary breakfast, indoor hotel pool and free parking.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Aaron D
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Went to the 6th Annual Garlic Festival in Olde Mystic Village CT . This Holiday Inn is directly across the street. Clean lobby and rooms. Complimentary hot/ cold breakfast, indoor pool and hot tub for after a long day of walking around village. Boathouse Restaurant adjacent to parking lot good food and reasonably priced and a few steps farther was a Starbucks and small outlet strip mall . Definitely returning next year!!!
Only down side was the fitness room smaller than what is at the Hampton Inn Mystic.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Linda C
Reviewed 29 September 2013

This is the second time we stayed here and again it was great. The staff are always very helpful and friendly. The rooms are very clean and set up really nice. The breakfast is very good. We would not stay anywhere else in Mystic.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CandyReisterstown

Dear CandyReisterstown,

Thank you for writing a review on your recent stay and letting us know about your experience. I am happy to read you were pleased with our location, accommodations, the services we offer and most importantly our Team! I will be sharing your comments with our Staff as they always enjoy hearing our guests' feedback. If you are back in the area again, I hope you will visit us again!

Kate K