My first mistake was booking a room with Hotellocators.com. I booked it with them using a Discover card with no problems. I even called the front desk a day ahead and asked if our reservation was okay. No problem right?
When we got there the one guy working the front desk informed us after 20 minutes that the hotel didn’t accept Discover card. Wow. Sure wished I brought my American Express.
The problem was when we went in there the hotel was a ghost town. 2 people were in front of us both together at the counter and my family lingered around in the lobby while the one guy answered about 60 questions from the 2. We traveled all day, with three kids in the car and pulled into the Holiday Inn Express and just wanted to check-in and relax for a while. We waited around patiently for someone else to appear and check us in but they never came.
In the mean time the one front desk guy needs to go see if the room is ready for the 2 people at the counter. He ditches the front desk and heads for the elevator and waits for it. Yup, he’s actually going to leave us all there while he goes and sees if the maid is done with their room. He’s gone for about 10 more minutes somewhere above in the upper floors of the hotel and we wander around and see a big sign on the indoor pool: POOL OUT OF ORDER.
To make a long story short we waited around tired, wet and sandy from the beach to find out that we couldn’t have the room, even though we had a ton of cash but only one Discover card. I understand why hotels need to have a credit card and I guess the fact that they didn’t accept a major one didn’t cross my mind. My bad, wish someone told me because Hotellocators.com gladly accepted our Discover card.
The funny thing is we sat there for 25 minutes before the people in front of us left. I get to the counter and tell him our name and then the phone rings and he’s on the line answering someone’s questions about this and that and how to get there and……………..I almost made it through 2 sentences with this guy and next thing I know he’s on the phone with someone too lazy to buy a map to figure out how to get to the place.
What a joke. I’m so glad they didn’t accept our card because the Mystic Hilton did. That place had the staff bring our bags to our room as well as an extra bed and yes the pool was working just fine. The guy at the Holiday Inn Express was joking that he had another 10 hours to go before he had to get the continental breakfast out by the morning. It was only 4 in the afternoon. That’s scary.
They had ONE guy doing everything at the hotel where it usually takes a STAFF of people to accommodate weary travelers. The pool was closed because he probably didn’t have time to clean it because he was probably the pool guy as well as the front desk guy, towel guy and extra pillow guy, valet guy, bell hop, donut and coffee maker guy as well as answer questions to stupid people over the phone in front of paying customers who are already there waiting for a half an hour.
This kind of service probably doesn’t bother most people and they are willing to sacrifice just to save a buck or two. If you are one of these people then you should enjoy your stay at this hotel. The extra 40 bucks we spent somewhere else went a heck of a lot further in my book.
I’m even sorry I booked a hundred and forty-dollar room for the 5 of us in the first place. You get what you pay for………..and even less in this case. In fact our whole trip to Mystic came to a grinding halt once we pulled up to the doors of the Holiday Inn Express. Good luck to anyone staying at this place. We are sure glad we didn’t!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Holiday Inn Express Mystic Hotel. Hotel features include complimentary continental breakfast and free local phone calls. Enjoy a unique breakfast experience at our new Express Start Breakfast Bar served every morning featuring a selection of fruits, juices, cereals, breads/pastries, and even hardboiled eggs. We have also created the world's best tasting cinnamon roll. Visit Mystic, CT and stay smart at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, IHG, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Mystic reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Mystic Hotel Mystic
- Mystic Holiday Inn Express
- Holiday Inn Mystic