“A very nice stay”

Holiday Inn Express Mystic
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Mystic
Reviewed 24 August 2007

My husband and 2 small children stayed here overnight. Check-in was easy and our room was ready even before check-in which allowed to put our things away before going to the aquarium. The aquarium was walking distance away which was very convenient. It would have been nice if the hotel carried discount tix but is was ok anyway. The room was very nice, clean and comfortable. The morning breakfast was nice but it needed more seating.
My only negative was that our room was on the first floor, in the rear of the building next to the parking lot so when other guests were coming in late at night I saw lights and heard voices. Also, I couldn't close the heavy drapes all the way so the headlights were a little disturbing and the morning sun was shining in. I would ask for a second floor room next time.
The pool was a little small but I didn't go there to go swimming so it didn't matter.
All in all it was a very nice experience and I would definately stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2007
4  Thank njmomof2

Reviewed 22 August 2007

Reading some of the reviews of this place, I was a bit anxious, and wasn't expecting much. In fact, when we checked in I said we weren't sure whether we'd be staying for the full 3 nights booked. I don't think we can have stayed at the same place as some of the other reviewers. I couldn't fault the cleanliness, and the breakfast was perfectly adequate. All the staff we dealt with were very courteous and pleasant. We booked direct and payed $149 + tax for a family of 4 and had 2 queen sized beds, plus a sofa bed and breakfast for 4. I thought this fantastic value. We quickly decided we wanted to stay the full 3 nights and didn't regret it once. My only - and it's slight - criticism, was that the pool didn't seem as clean as others, and it is very small, but we swam in it a couple of times quite happily.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank Bethan W
Reviewed 21 August 2007

This hotel is in a central location to all activities in Mystic.

It is a modern and clean Holiday Inn with Lan connections in all rooms and wireless access in many areas. We had a very large Jacuzzi in our room which was great.

The hotel has a very small swimming pool but does not have a bar or restaurant. They do have a complimentary continental breakfast in the lobby which my wife enjoyed however I did not.

There are numerous restaurants in the area. Within walking distance is the Mystic Aquarium. Across the street from the hotel is the Old Mystic Village which has numerous shops.

All in all, this hotel was nice for a fair price. But when we return we will look into the Hyatt or Hilton which are both very close.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank McTravel55
Reviewed 5 August 2007

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express while on a business trip. I really liked the location (across from Olde Mystic Village) and the view from the room (if facing west). The room was clean and comes with a fridge and microwave (a big plus!). I only had a problem with the sheet still being stained with coffee or something. The sheets were clean, but the stain was still there. I had the maid change them the next day. The other problem was connecting to the internet. The hotel does not have wireless internet and provide a cable in the room. My laptop seemed to take over 45 minutes to connect to the their internal LAN. After that, I had no problems with the internet on the days to follow. I would definitely stay at the Holiday Inn Express when I return on work or vacation trips.

• Stayed: July 2007
3  Thank kibwolf
Reviewed 30 July 2007

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Mystic with 3 other friends this past Saturday night. We found the hotel to be clean and it certainly met our needs. We were able to check in a little early and while the front desk staff was nice they weren't terribly knowledgable about the area.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with friends
2  Thank kramwald
Reviewed 29 July 2007

First of all do not pay for your room through the internet go directly to the hotel website or call Holiday Inn Express. We paid $35.00 more per night. I have stayed at Holiday Inn Express in the past and have never seen a room as run down as this one. The carpets were dirty, the only place to park was in an unsecure area at the back of the hotel. They shut down the breakfast well before 10:00 am. The person putting the food out was also the person cleaning the hotel. The worse I have ever seen. If I did not get caught in traffic and arrive after 10:30 at night I would have asked for my money back and went elsewhere. I was glad I only booked it for one night while visiting the New England states.

Stayed: July 2007
2  Thank SusieCleveland
Reviewed 6 July 2007

My first mistake was booking a room with Hotellocators.com. I booked it with them using a Discover card with no problems. I even called the front desk a day ahead and asked if our reservation was okay. No problem right?

When we got there the one guy working the front desk informed us after 20 minutes that the hotel didn’t accept Discover card. Wow. Sure wished I brought my American Express.

The problem was when we went in there the hotel was a ghost town. 2 people were in front of us both together at the counter and my family lingered around in the lobby while the one guy answered about 60 questions from the 2. We traveled all day, with three kids in the car and pulled into the Holiday Inn Express and just wanted to check-in and relax for a while. We waited around patiently for someone else to appear and check us in but they never came.

In the mean time the one front desk guy needs to go see if the room is ready for the 2 people at the counter. He ditches the front desk and heads for the elevator and waits for it. Yup, he’s actually going to leave us all there while he goes and sees if the maid is done with their room. He’s gone for about 10 more minutes somewhere above in the upper floors of the hotel and we wander around and see a big sign on the indoor pool: POOL OUT OF ORDER.

To make a long story short we waited around tired, wet and sandy from the beach to find out that we couldn’t have the room, even though we had a ton of cash but only one Discover card. I understand why hotels need to have a credit card and I guess the fact that they didn’t accept a major one didn’t cross my mind. My bad, wish someone told me because Hotellocators.com gladly accepted our Discover card.

The funny thing is we sat there for 25 minutes before the people in front of us left. I get to the counter and tell him our name and then the phone rings and he’s on the line answering someone’s questions about this and that and how to get there and……………..I almost made it through 2 sentences with this guy and next thing I know he’s on the phone with someone too lazy to buy a map to figure out how to get to the place.

What a joke. I’m so glad they didn’t accept our card because the Mystic Hilton did. That place had the staff bring our bags to our room as well as an extra bed and yes the pool was working just fine. The guy at the Holiday Inn Express was joking that he had another 10 hours to go before he had to get the continental breakfast out by the morning. It was only 4 in the afternoon. That’s scary.

They had ONE guy doing everything at the hotel where it usually takes a STAFF of people to accommodate weary travelers. The pool was closed because he probably didn’t have time to clean it because he was probably the pool guy as well as the front desk guy, towel guy and extra pillow guy, valet guy, bell hop, donut and coffee maker guy as well as answer questions to stupid people over the phone in front of paying customers who are already there waiting for a half an hour.

This kind of service probably doesn’t bother most people and they are willing to sacrifice just to save a buck or two. If you are one of these people then you should enjoy your stay at this hotel. The extra 40 bucks we spent somewhere else went a heck of a lot further in my book.

I’m even sorry I booked a hundred and forty-dollar room for the 5 of us in the first place. You get what you pay for………..and even less in this case. In fact our whole trip to Mystic came to a grinding halt once we pulled up to the doors of the Holiday Inn Express. Good luck to anyone staying at this place. We are sure glad we didn’t!

Stayed: July 2007