“Doesn't represent the "Holiday Inn Express" as I know it”

Holiday Inn Express Mystic
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Mystic
Fort Lauderdale
“Doesn't represent the "Holiday Inn Express" as I know it”
Reviewed 21 November 2010

I flew into Providence RI and drove to the Holiday Inn express in Mystic. When I got on the road it was dark, and I've never been in this area before so had no idea what was on either side of the road. I finally made it to the "Holiday inn Express" and wasn't greeted by the usual friendly staff that I'm used to. The woman at the front desk, (I still don't know her name because she never wore a name tag.) was very unfriendly, and very uninformed about the area. I guess I should've read all of the reviews on trip advisor because it turns out there is no WiFi in your room. When I called to ask about it, she told me it was in the lobby only. She failed to mention that there was an ethernet cable in the room that you can easily hook your laptop to. I found this the next day.
Although the hotel was "nice" it really lacks any ambience. The lobby could've been a great meeting place however the fireplace was never turned on. When I asked why, she told me that if it was cold enough they would turn it on, and if it was windy the pilot light goes out so they don't turn it on.
The rooms had high ceiling which although made it very roomy, it also allowed you to hear every move the guests on the upper floor made. I didn't sleep at all the first night. The beds were very comfy, rooms were very clean, but the hotel isn't a hotel that I would EVER stay at again. The snotty woman at the front desk, who turns out to be the manager , really ruined the good time that I had planned. I was booked for 5 days as my son was graduating from the naval base...but I checked out a day early and moved to a wonderful Holiday Inn Express in Providence.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 9 November 2010

Do NOT stay in room 320!! We recently stayed in the hotel for the weekend. The staff was friendly but inexperienced. The initial experience was waiting to check-in with three young children while the desk attendant ran upstairs on some random errand. We stayed in a room with two queen beds and a sleeper sofa. The room was huge but with a very strange layout. You couldn't see the TV if you were sitting on the couch (the tv was a nice flat screen....). The next thing we noticed was that there was no wireless service in the room. That's the first hotel I've been to this year without that convenience. One of the kids kept saying there's something wrong with the toilet ...... We eventually looked and they were right. The tank was cracked and leaking water ------ the front desk didn't really care. Also, the drain on the bathtub didn't really work ---- not clogged, just broken. Oh, as a side issue, you couldn't reach the toilet paper from the toilet. That's not really that inconvenient for a man but........still a little ridiculous for a room that cost over $100 a night. But the 2 worst things were ...1) the elevator made the whole room vibrate whenever it moved and 2) 'someone' had burned popcorn in the room at some point and it smelled awful. It was an ok hotel but do not stay in this room whatever you do!!!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
Dudley, UK
Reviewed 10 October 2010

My husband and I stayed here for two nights on the 12th and 13th September as we were travelling from New York to Boston. We'd wanted to stay somewhere for a couple of days en route to Boston to break the journey up and we decided on Mystic as it looked so pretty and relaxed. We stayed here mainly because I know someone who works for Holiday Inn and could get us a friends and family discount - but as it turned out, the Holiday Inn, Mystic doesn't participate in this scheme (whether it was just the dates we travelled or it doesn't participate period, I'm not sure) but it didn't matter as the hotel was simply delightful, and after staying in New York, still reasonably priced without the discount! The lobby of the hotel was really pretty and clean with high ceilings, a sitting area and breakfast area. Our room was really lovely and very large with a king size bed, sofa, flat screen TV and a fridge and microwave. The bathroom was large too and clean, as was the bedroom. Breakfast was included in the price of the room, and while it wasn't exactly gourmet, it was nice. Our first morning we had a couple of hot options such as scambled eggs and bacon, plus English muffins and also toast, bagels, cereals, yogourts and coffee/ juices etc. It was what you would expect of a breakfast that is included in the price of the room. There is a restaurant next door to the hotel called The Boathouse, which was lovely (great food, great staff), the Olde Mystic Village is right across the street, the Aquarium is a five minute walk and Mystic Seaport is about a 15/20 minute walk. The location is ideal and we were really happy we chose this hotel and if we ever visit Mystic again we will definitely stay here.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LouLouDudley_UK
Edinburgh
Reviewed 29 September 2010

Stayed here with my partner on a road trip from Boston To New York, in terms of Holiday Inn Express hotels this was about right, room was spotlessly clean, bed very comfy and in a great quiet location, close enough to the freeway to be easy to find and it’s on top of a hill so pretty obvious but far enough away to be quiet. Breakfast is best described as adequate, but there is a Starbucks in the retail park next to the aquarium which is two minutes away.
We ate at the Steak Loft just across the road from the hotel, can highly recommend it we sat in the bar area which had live music on and the food was excellent.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 3 September 2010

At first look, it seemed like a very nice hotel, but then we slowly discovered they were quite cheap in their ways, so it makes me wonder what all they were doing to save money. We stayed several days here. The internet was only available in the lobby. The breakfast never had any meat, like bacon or sausage that are typical at HI Expresses. The first day we arrived, they had free hot cocoa out with the coffee, but after they saw us drinking some, it was removed. The hallways were not air conditioned, and the fitness equipment was cheap. Worst of all, I don't think our sheets had been changed. My side had a strong perfume smell, but the rest of my family didn't have any aroma on their sheets.

The location was very close to Mystic Aquarium and about .8 mile from Mystic Seaport.

North Carolina
Reviewed 21 August 2010

We initially went to the Mystic Hilton, which is right next door, because we had a "Roomsaver" coupon from those little books you pick up along the interstate. On an ordinary Thursday morning in August (no holiday except summertime), the Hilton refused to honor the coupon, so we were going to drive to the Hampton Inn in Mystic which was rated #1 in TripAdvisor. This Holiday Inn Express was right next door to the Hilton (and also across the street from the Aquarium), so we pulled in to this new-looking hotel. The manager greeted us with a smile, honored our AAA discount, and provided a very clean, very comfortable room. In fact, we would say that the shower in this hotel was the best we found at any place we stayed during our our trip through Rhode Island (where we stayed at a friend's house) and through various hotels in Cambridge (a Holiday Inn Express), Boston (the Midtown Hotel-highly recommended!), and Plymouth (the Pilgrim Sands-also terrific), in Massachusetts. We expect that the Hampton Inn is nice, too, but this Holiday Inn Express suited us perfectly. There was a nice little inside pool and the breakfast was great!

Monroe, new York, USA
Reviewed 18 August 2010

The whole experience, from check-in to departure was disappointing. We arrived and were told that, no the rate that we received was $10.00 higher. We did not make a stink and checked in. We went to the room and found that the fake tile bath surround that peeling off the wall and there was no shower curtain. We reported this, and the shower curtain was installed. We used the pool and within 10 minutes of arrival, three people slipped and fell on the slippery ceramic tile. The second night we used the pool another man fell and we decided to call it quits. The breakfast was beyond bad. The staff did not keep up with the demand. We, and others, had to keep going to the front desk to advise the staff that there was no coffee, no bread, etc. This was the worst Holiday Inn Express experience we have had.

1 Thank cjmaier
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mystic
Hampton Inn & Suites Mystic
Inn at Mystic
Inn at Mystic
#4 of 13 in Mystic
Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa

Been to Holiday Inn Express Mystic? Share your experiences!