“Nothing special”

B.F. Clyde's Cider Mill
Ranked #4 of 12 Tours in Mystic
Reviewed 26 October 2013

We went during the week and I knew that we wouldn't see the cider press. It is just an old house that serves as a store. You can buy jams and jellies and some other items. Prices are more expensive than the shops in Mystic Village. We bought some cider wine but haven't opened them yet so I cannot rate that. We had the apple cider donuts and I really didn't taste anything special about them. They are 70 cents each and are small, three bites. They sell home made apple pies for $12.99 and I wanted to buy one but had no place to keep it since we were traveling. The people that work there are not that friendly. The women in the old shack that sells ornaments and things was very friendly. I wouldn't go out of my way to make a stop here but if you are in the area and want to buy some apple cider then this is the place to go.

All reviews
"press"
in 36 reviews
"kettle"

Reviewed 26 October 2013

Very nice place to take the family on a chilly weekend morning. Cider and donuts we delicious. Plenty of homemade items for sale. Hard cider and wine tastings available also. Was easy in and out when we arrived; ran into a couple later in the day who said the line to get into the store was wrapped around the building.

Reviewed 11 October 2013

The subject is a warning. If you go to this wonderland of apples... Where the air smells sweet with cider, cider doughnuts, wine and hard cider. You will be harrassed by the yellow jackets. But, you will also keep drinking your hot cider-- assuming the yellow jacket doesn't dive into the cup and drown. And, you will keep eating your doughnut, right after you try an out run that yellow jacket. Hahaha... I am not exaggerating in the slightest. That being said... I loved this place. It completed my birthday weekend celebration. The demonstartion is so cool to watch. The air perfumed with the freshly mulched apples, and the knowlegable and kind staff. Hard cider... did someone say yummy? I did the tasting of three, but, it was the beautifully dark "Blackout" that won my heart, and a place in my refrigerator. It warms the palette, the throat and the heart. I'm a southern girl, and this cider tasted like something from Kentucky. So, of course I had to buy it. I will return to this place, in the meantime... I wish I'd bought a gallon of Blackout instead of half. Hindsight is 20/20 they say. Go, enjoy, and watch out for the yellow jackets!

3  Thank Sundeevah
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Great selection of Apple jam, Apple Butter, and all Apple Products. Lots of great items for gifts and to stock your pantry. Loved the cider and fresh donuts.

2  Thank Sunshineseeker_10
See more reviews
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Coming here was great but I was constantly afraid of being stung by the millions of bees zooming around the entire outside of the facility! I can understand why they were there-- lots of sweet stuff being produced including a huge pile of pressed apple cores, but knowing why they were there didn't alleviate my fears. Thanksfully we didn't get stung, but it's something to consider if you're highly allergic and need to carry an Epi-Pen (bring it along!).

The facility has wonderful demonstrations three times daily on weekends where the staff operates the oldest steam-powered cider press in the country. Also on the property is a country store which sells baked goods, cider, and lots of jarred items (jams, preserves, mustards, syrups, etc.) which have a sampling station to help you direct your purchasing.

Other areas are a building called The Grist Mill which is a smaller shop with Christmas ornaments, tee-shirts, gifts, etc, a popcorn stand where they make fresh kettle corn, and two tasting stations-- one for hard cider and one for apple cider wine.

When we visited there were also two tables from local vendors-- one selling cheeses and other products made from goats' milk, and the second selling honey and beeswax candles.

It was all really great and we love the stuff we got there, but man-oh-man the bees!

2  Thank InterestedTourist

Been to B.F. Clyde's Cider Mill? Share your experiences!