“Spacious, clean, and impressive!” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Residence Inn Mystic Groton
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Mystic
Florida
“Spacious, clean, and impressive!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

My family and I had originally planned to only spend 1 night in Mystic and then move on to Boston to spend 3 nights there. But when we got to this hotel, we were so impressed by it that we changed our travel plans so that we could stay in Mystic for the whole trip!
Check in- checking in was very quick and easy. Parking can be an issue late at night but if you park during the day you should have no problem finding a spot. When we got to our room we were surprised that we got a deluxe 2 bedroom suite, even though we only booked for a 1 bedroom suite. The front desk informed us that due to over-booking, they bumped us up at no additional charge to this beautiful room. I've witnessed hotels cancelling a room without notice to overbooking, but upgrading you?! That's awesome!
Room- The two bedroom suite was spectacular and it felt like a condo due to how spacious and nicely decorated it was. There is a fully stocked kitchen with a dishwasher, stove, microwave, and large fridge (what you would find in your own home!). The kitchen had everything we needed, except on one day when we needed a large pan to roast a whole chicken. The front desk promptly brought one up for us. There were also paper towels available and when we ran out room service replaced them so we wouldn't have to buy any. There is no ice maker but there is a machine on every floor to get ice from.
The living area had a comfortable pull out couch, but the couch was so comfortable that one of us could sleep on it without even pulling out the bed. There was a nice dining table for dinner but the living room had a small table for meals too. We also had a fireplace! How grand. You could operate it by a timer on the wall. There was a TV available in each room too (bedroom 1, bedroom 2 and living room) so no one had to fight over channels. NOTE- iPads will NOT pick up wifi at this hotel, apparently it has to do with the actual iPad settings because all of our smart phones could connect to it without issues.
The bedrooms were spacious and had tons of storage space either in a large closet or any drawers available under the sink too. I have slept in more comfortable beds than this but it was still nice for being so large and each bedroom had big windows with a nice view of the outdoor patio area. The shower was very clean and had ample towels and water pressure/hot water
Grounds- The gym was VERY nice. Small, but the equipment was so modern and I never saw more than 1 person here at a time (and this being when the hotel was overbooked). The treadmill had its own personal TV attached to it with cable TV and everything was working nice. There was also an elliptical and weights I believe. You can even change the temperature in the gym if you want because it had its own thermostat, which helps once you start sweating! Right next to the gym was a nice-sized indoor swimming pool and a Jacuzzi, I saw lots of kids and adults hanging out here. In the lobby area was a small grocery room with items ranging from frozen meals to snacks to alcohol and toiletries. On the third floor there is also a laundry room (coin operated), you can easily get coins and detergent from the front desk and we had no issues with the machines. There was also a nice patio area outside with a barbeque grill, you can inquire at the front desk to see if its being used each night. This included a nice sitting area too.
Breakfast and meals- I thought breakfast was ample, with cereals, fruits, yogurts, and many hot dishes like sausage, hash browns, french toast, etc which was changed up every day. There was also a waffle maker, oatmeal, granola, coffee and tea. I thought it was more than enough to satisfy me, however Embassy Suites probably has the best breakfasts I've ever seen. It was nice to be able to pack up some food too for our outings each day because there was so much to choose from at breakfast. It did get crowded and I saw a couple of people unable to find tables but they eventually did.
On weeknights, there is an evening social with free food being served. We came on BBQ night so there were hamburgers, hot dogs, coleslaw, and pasta along with alcohol. Not sure if the alcohol cost money or not. But it was nice because then you really only need to buy groceries for lunch time while staying here on weeknights. The theme for these socials was different every night which kept it interesting and you can meet new people.
Area- I found the area to be REALLY nice. Very safe and a tiny bit touristy. You could walk to Mystik Village and the Aquarium if you really wanted to, they were literally right behind the hotel. It was also directly off I95 and so convenient to everything along the coast. Downtown Mystic and the harbor are just down the street. There are many restaurants, one being next to the hotel which is a Thai place. There are other eateries in Mystic Village and larger diners down the street. However, for the life of me I could not find a large grocery store nearby! We settled with going to Giant which was in Groton and about a 10 minute drive. Other attractions nearby besides the harbor included the USS Nautilus submarine museum which was about 10 mins away and Watch Hill/Napatree Point (see my review on it) which was about 30 min away. There is the Denison Pequotsepos Nature Reserve only 2 mins from the hotel and has a full day's worth of hiking, however there is a fee and I didn't think it was worth it.
Quirks- As with every hotel, there will ALWAYS be quirks that annoy you. For me, it was the housekeeping. Our first full day they didn't come by until 3 pm. As we were all back at the room and settled in after a full day of fun, we didn't feel like vacating the room for them to clean so we just asked for clean towels and the trash to be taken out. The 2nd day, they didn't come until 5:30 pm! We were making dinner and again this prevented them from doing a longer, thorough cleaning of the room. It wasn’t bad since we just spent 3 nights here, but any longer and you really do need a good, extensive cleaning of the room. I find this to be impossible if they are coming so late every day.
All in all, I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone in the area. It does seem pricey but you save so much money on food and the quality of the hotel is really good with it being so close to all the attractions and highways.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank threelittlefish856

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Bergen County, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013

I stayed here for one night for business and the room was huge. It had a full kitchen and living room separate from the big bedroom. For the price I paid, it was a great deal. It was certainly bigger than some of the apts I lived in manhattan.

The room was clean and was fully cool when I walked in despite the record temperatures. I hate when i walk into a room and it's stifling hot b/c the A/C isn't on. The room was decorated nicely with modern feel and layed out efficiently.

The only comments I would make is to better mark the front entrance and registration. There were signs but its not very clear where you need to check in due to the layout of the buildings. The main building is situated towards the back and looks like all the other buildings so it was a few seconds of confusion before I figured it out. Lastly, I would fix the phones in the room so you can directly dial the front desk for a wake up call. The two phones in the room just had a dial tone when i pushed for wake up alarm service and the front desk. Why have the phones have these buttons if they don't work?

I didn't take advantage of the breakfast since i had an early meeting but it was packed with guests who seemed to enjoy it.

I would stay here again without any hesitations with my family on vacation or on business.

Room Tip: I would request a room in the main building so you don't have to leave the building and go to an...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Glen Rock, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013 via mobile

First time there or at any Marriott for that matter. We had a very nice experience. The room was large and included a bedroom. Bath could have been bigger with 2 sinks but it really didn't take anything away. The room was clean and fully stocked. The other guests were a problem, especially the two kids in the room above who were practicing marching into the early morning hours. Met them at breakfast, two charmers with their doting parents.
Breakfast included and not a bad one either.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Boston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

Hotel is located very close to I-95 amongst a block of other highway hotels. It is a good 2 miles from downtown Mystic. Room had some good updates like a flat screen TV but the bed and bathroom were outdated. The AC unit sounded like a turbo prop plane starting up everytime it turned on. One of the worst nights sleep in a hotel I have ever had (and I avg 80 nights a year).
Fitness center was average at best. Staff was super nice. Breakfast was good and well maintained given how busy it was that AM. Hotel is per friendly so dog noise is a bit of a problem.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Portland, OR, USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2013

Upon arrival our room smelled extremely strongly of cleaning chemicals. My thought was that they were trying to get the odor out from a previous guest who had smoked in the room but the front desk said this was not the case.

Unfortunately the hotel was full and the windows have locks on them such that they only open a couple of inches so it wasn't possible to air the room out so we just had to live with it. I mentioned the problem upon check out and the clerk promised to make amends but they never followed up.

As others have reported the breakfast is a zoo. Not the end of the world, but something management could and needs to address.

I'm a lifetime Platinum member of Marriott Rewards so I've seen quite a few of the company's hotels over the last 30 years. This one is in need of improvement.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Edelman
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013 via mobile

Hotel is 5 mins drive from main downtown of Mystic. I stayed in a suite which was spacious and clean. I believe it has been recently refurbished. There was a nice sofa and big desk, if you need to do some work? Only thing that bothered me slightly is the noise of the Aircon coming on and off. Overall, very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed July 2013
naples florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

This Residence Inn is located right near 95. It's only a short drive to mystic seaport and the town of Mystic. It's also just about a 15 minute drive to the Foxwoods casinos. The staff couldn't have been more helpful. We were given tickets to a boat show that another hotel guest didn't need, saved us $48! There isnso much to do and see in Mystic and this hotel with its one bedroom suites and great buffet breakfast is the placemto stay.

Room Tip: always ask for an upgrade to a one bedroom. Who knows you might get lucky!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family