“Gem in the Mystic area”

Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Mystic
New Britain, Connecticut
“Gem in the Mystic area”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We were very impressed with this Marriott property. We are native Connecticut Yankees and are a little embarrassed to say we haven't spent much time in the Mystic area. My wife and I decided to take a last minute trip and spent a few days in this area of our beautiful state. This hotel was one of, if not, the cleanest facility I have ever stayed in. We had a minor AC problem the first night and the Management moved us to an upgraded suite, second room as clean as the first. This facility provides breakfast and when we were there also provided a light evening meal. Hot dogs, hamburgers, chips, and Beer. The hotel clearly provided a light, informal, friendly environment, but had a real sense of competence in it's management.

Room Tip: Top floor main building, odd number rooms, will provide the most privacy your windows will face a tr...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
NY
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I spent two nights in this "Hotel"

I have nothing to complain about, I don't know what other rooms look like, But mine was like a nice one bedroom apt, Kit/living room combo, & a bed room with a full bath.
2 TVs

The Staff could not be any friendlier, the rooms were clean, The pool was no big deal, But I did spend some time in the hot tub, wish that was cleaner.

They had a full nice breakfast & a full dinner too.

Hotel was located with in a reasonable distance to the Mystic sites to see.
If you have a bike or are a walker you can ever do that.

all in all I was happy with this place :-)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank David Z
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed 30 May 2014

This hotel offers a mixed-bag. The location is easy to access, there are a few places to eat nearby, the property is reasonably clean and updated. The greet staff were fine, though nothing special. The room was large enough to be adequate for our needs, but the mattresses were very uncomfortable. My wife and I got very little sleep. This mattress problem is endemic to the Residence Inn division of Marriott hotels. Some divisions have very comfortable mattresses; this one does not. Adding up this hodge-podge of goods and bads leaves this property a 3-star stay.

1 Thank DreamSeeker94
WHGGuestService, General Manager at Residence Inn Mystic Groton, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Dreamseeker94,

Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review about your recent stay. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the bedding not being to your liking. We have recently went through a extensive renovation were we replaced all case goods, carpeting, appliances and mattresses. I have shared your comments with the team and they too were disappointed about the mattress, however were encouraged with the service and cleanliness of the hotel.

We strive to excel on all aspects in the hotel and your comments continue to help us work hard towards this goal.

Anthony Covino
Malta, New York, United States
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This is the place to stay if you have children. The employees here are fantastic! My boys are very active and need space to run around and play. It turns out they have just the place! This place has an outdoor basketball court and the front desk gave us a basketball to shoot hoops with and a regular bouncy ball for the younger child. We spent over an hour shooting hoops and just running around.

This Residence Inn also has a free breakfast which is great with the kids. The breakfast included; eggs, waffles, pancakes, bacon, fruit, yogurt, cereal, oatmeal, etc. Just remember the food is free and probably won't win any food awards anytime soon but free is always a great flavor! The woman that tends the breakfast area is awesome!

We spent some time in the pool and hot tub and had fun splashing about. There is a small workout room which looks over the pool.

There were tons of people traveling with kids and no one gave a second look at my 2 year old throwing his cheerios at his brother.

The rooms are clean and one morning I left coffee in the coffee pot with the intention of cleaning it the when we got back and the lady ran my pot, spoon, and cup through the dishwasher and it was ready to go the next day......can I take her home?

I really enjoyed staying her with my family and will stay here again.

Room Tip: We got a Suite with a queen. The kiddos slept on the sofa and we were able to close the door to th...
1 Thank Jaimie Y
Lyndhurst, New Jersey
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on Memorial Day Weekend with my wife. Our room had a kitchen including full refrigerator, dishwasher, coffee maker, microwave and utensils. There is a separate living room and bedroom. The bathroom sink area is outside where the toilet and shower are located so there is ample room to get ready.

All major tourist stops are within 5-15 minutes away including Mystic Seaport, Mystic Village, downtown Mystic and Foxwoods. About a quarter mile off of Route 95 and many places to eat very close by.

Room was spotless, parking was plentiful and free breakfast saved us time and money. Free wireless internet for all as well. Only 200 per night on a holiday weekend was a great price.

Highly recommend this hotel!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Spain
Reviewed 23 May 2014

The hotel itself was fine. The good points are that it was clean, convenient, well located and offered a decent breakfast. The rooms were spacious, very clean and well equipped.
The internet was speedy and easy to access.. all good..
I had just two problems with this hotel. First, we were two older women on a road trip and we had lots of luggage. We were there for one night and could have some of it in the car but felt it safer to bring it in. The staff people never lifted a finger to help, even as we dragged the stuff into the lobby. A luggage cart was never offered and we had to looking for one. We also needed two beds. The room came with one large nice bed and a fold out sofa bed. We had said in advance that we needed two beds but the second bed wasn't made up and when we asked about the sofa bed, the guy in charge simply told us that the sheets were in the closet. This extra bed was terribly uncomfortable. The mattress was thin and the springs felt like they were coming through. So... after being on the road for nine hours, hauling luggage and making beds was just part of the deal, I guess. I expect these things are normal policy for Residence Inn since its not a hotel class that provides many amenities but with the luggage it does kind of seem like common courtesy to lend a hand instead of just point to a cart and watch two senior citizens struggle with it..

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank sneilkSpain
WHGGuestService, General Manager at Residence Inn Mystic Groton, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to fill out your review. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the experience that you encountered while checking into the hotel. I can ensure you that this is not typical of the service that we provide our guests at the hotel.

After receiving your review, I shared your comments with my front office team. They too were disappointed that we let you down. We\'re using your feedback to conduct additional training to refresh all our associates on proper procedures. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention as it is guests like you that help us deliver the type of service that our hotel is known for provide.

Regards,
Anthony Convino
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Non-existent customer service. Mishap with the reservation and staff offered nothing to accommodate us! One staff member went so far as to shush our kids directly without speaking to us. This was not a family friendly hotel and I would never stay at this specific location again (despite having stayed in the past).

1 Thank Hannah G
Thank you for your recent review. I deeply regret the experience you encountered while at our hotel and offer my sincere apology. Your experience is certainly not typical of the type of service that our front office team provide to our guests. I have personally talked with our associates to ensure that this type of behavior does not happen again.

I appreciate that you brought this matter to my attention and I want to ensure you and our future guests that I have personally taken action. I hope that when you visit the Mystic area again, you will choose to stay with us as we do have many families that stay at the hotel. Please contact me directly at the hotel if you wish to speak in more detail about your experience.

Regards,