“Fun, good value, cheese focus”
Review of Caseus

Caseus
Ranked #9 of 583 Restaurants in New Haven
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

The maitre d' who graciously organized two bar stools when we arrived without a reservation wore a t-shirt with the slogan "I am a machine." But the service we received couldn't have been friendlier or more informative; it was anything but robotic.

It's pretty easy to explain why Caseus is rated so highly. It's fun, a great college town restaurant with a focus on cheese, a limited but very good selection of wines, and a variety of seating options (outside and in).

We were there for lunch and took the easy option, ordering the cheese board and the char curie board, both very reasonably priced. Both boards have a selection of four items. The cheeses were excellent, unusual, hard and soft, French and American. The four charcuterie selections from pâté to sausage to prosciutto also very good but not as memorable as the cheeses.

Reviewed 25 August 2013

I've been here twice with my wife and we've tried four different dishes between hers and mine. I love specialty cheeses and really wanted to like this restaurant, even insisting we give them a second try after a sub-par first run. Unfortunately, we've both been disappointed each time.

Pros:
We were seated promptly the first time and after 10 minutes the second. The waitstaff is friendly, attentive, hard-working, and knowledgeable. The chef seems to like trying creative dishes, which I can appreciate, even if some of them seem a bit odd (on our last visit I saw a sunny-side up egg on top of a fried duck leg...really?). Our dishes came with some tasty sauce for dipping. And they have a decent outdoor seating area. I feel a little guilty giving Caseus a 1-star rating because it's really more of a 2-3 star type place, but given the price and hype, I feel some balancing out is called for.

Cons:
After being seated, our waitress launched into a pretentious, scripted, 5+ minute spiel about all their specials of the night, detailing all the fancy ingredients in each, how their eggs are from free-range chickens, how they imported this particular cheese from this particular state, etc... It was well-meaning but comically overlong and filled with descriptions of esoteric ingredients that would mean little to most of their customers. Note to management: stop making them do this. The indoor seating area is tiny and packed, with the ambience of a hole-in-the-wall dive bar. The menu is very limited, with lots of missed opportunities for creative uses of cheese--no pizza, no nachos, no cheesy fries, no cheesy soups, no offers for freshly grated parmesan on your food. One of the dishes my wife requested was "sold out" for the night. What? Between our two trips, we tried the Mac and Cheese, Cheeseburger (side of fries), Mussels, and Chicken (side of vegetables). In the scope of my dining experience, including fine dining but also including places like Subway and McDonalds, I would say the fries were above average and everything else was below average. Quite a disappointment given the reputation and price of ~$20 per plate. After our second and final dinner here, we left scratching our heads and asking how on earth this rose to the #1 spot on TripAdvisor for New Haven. Is it because people like the attached cheese store? Is it because people like their food truck? Is it because there was a concerted effort to get people to leave 5-star reviews? I really don't know. My leftovers are getting cold in the fridge as I type, but despite the fact that I usually love restaurant leftovers, I'll probably end up throwing them out tomorrow.

I wouldn't go back for a meal, but I might consider visiting their cheese store or trying a grilled cheese sandwich from their food truck. If you're in the neighborhood and want a delicious, cheesy dinner, go to Modern Apizza instead. Now there's a joint that deserves all the rave reviews it gets!

1  Thank JackStacey
Reviewed 19 July 2013

This place gets better every time I visit! During my most recent trip, I went with my wife and two friends who had never been. The difference was, this time, my wife is avoiding a variety of foods, including dairy, soy and gluten. Obviously, at a cheese place, that limits her options, but the staff went out of its way to accommodate her. She ended up getting the Beet and Butterfield Chevre salad (without the Chevre), in addition to vegetables cooked in honey. The portion size was more than enough, and my wife said it was delicious!

As for me, I split a Cheese Board with the two friends, which has samples of 4 different cheeses. I then had the special soup of the day, which was a potato kale soup served with a piece of bread. The cold soup was very refreshing and yummy! For the main course, I had the mac and cheese with peas in it. And as always, the mac and cheese was phenomenal. I barely had room to eat much of the mac and cheese, so I wrapped up most of it to go.

If you love cheese, this is THE place to go!

2  Thank Ezra B
Reviewed 19 July 2013 via mobile

Caseus features cheese and the several orders that stayed with their announced specialty were excellent. The cheeses, whether on their own on a cheese board, enhancing a juicy bacon burger, pairing with a beet salad or otherwise making the usual more interesting, are high quality and wonderful. The only disappointment were the mussels which tasted old and the wine a bit harsh. Still, a nice meal if you stick to their strengths. Slightly loud.

Reviewed 18 July 2013

Enjoyed a great family style meal at Caseus. They suggested the menu and we all enjoyed. Started with cheeses followed by interesting starters and entrees they everyone enjoyed. Will be looking for an excuse to go back.