“It is more a vintage place to stay not a Hotel!”
Review of Duncan Hotel

and 1 more site!
Duncan Hotel
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in New Haven
Reviewed 1 May 2013

It is fun because everything seems ancient in this hotel, you feel you traveled back in time. Everything was old (you could hear the springs in the mattress) but not that bad. It could have been cleaner though. you could see dust almost everywhere, not places you would use but it was unpleasant. Behind bathroom doors there were hairs on the floor and some spider nets here and there around the room (one of my friends even did not see them though). All in all it is obvious that they have plenty of customers maybe because for a downtown hotel it is relatively cheap. Also, there was no hair dryer, not enough blankets and no iron in the room and we had to call the front desk for all these.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Mana D

Reviewed 26 April 2013

I stayed here back around 2001, before tripadvisor even existed. I cant say how the hotel is now, but when I stayed there I thought it was a hell hole. They rented rooms for $100 per week back then. You get what you pay for! In the middle of the night I used to hear scratching at the walls all night long. Although I never saw anything I imagine it was rats eating away at the wood in the walls. I was shocked when I saw this place was still around. I thought it must have closed down becuase it was such a dump. I cant believe anyone would give this place five stars, talk about low standards, how about no standards.

Room Tip: Go to some other hotel
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank STEPHENandDAISY
Reviewed 21 February 2013

I've been going back to Yale for occasional research and conferences since I was a student there in the 80s. Every time I go I stay at the Duncan. Not much has changed in the last 25 years but that can be a good thing. When I go to New Haven, I'm there for a specific purpose and am looking for something affordable and am not out to impress anyone. For my purposes there's only one place to stay then. The Duncan. I bring what I need for business and I can get my email on my phone so I don't need wifi internet. After a long day in a lab or research library I don't need to be on the net in my room after a long day. And whenever I go I'm comforted in knowing that I've saved upwards of 200+ bucks a night on amenities I really couldn't care less about for the two or maybe three nights I'm there. I need a shower, mattress, pillow and a blanket and The Duncan is just what I need without any frills and all the jet-setter B.S. you deal with everywhere else. Some people say the staff is rude but I've never found them to be. It all comes down to respecting them and the fact that they're doing me a favor offering a reasonably priced place for me to stay in. And another thing I don't miss when I stay there is all the condescending endless goody-two-shoes "may I help you" (marketing) attitude you get everywhere else, that reeks of everything else that's so fake in our large corporation dominated materialistic society that so many people are so eager to buy their way into.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
7  Thank K R
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I loved my room - the bed, pillows, duvet were all new. So was the TV - plenty of programs to choose from with very clear reception. Plus my own completely modern bathroom. Room was clean and very quiet (my room did not front the street). All for $69, tax included. Furnishings are tasteful albeit standard hotel style. Make sure you ask for a "No Smoking" room.

Hotel is localed on an artsy street full of restaurants, bookstores, coffee shops. Very safe to walk around at night. It is very close to the Yale Repetory Theater and Yale University.

Compared to The Study this hotel is a real bargain.

Room Tip: Because the hotel was built in the late 1890's it is heated by steam so you might hear occasiona...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Sandman696
Reviewed 10 December 2012

I don't understand the negative reviews. For this Englishman a 3-night stay at the Duncan was pure delight. Large, comfortable clean room. Charming, relaxing reception area. Friendly, helpful staff. Superb location right beside the Yale campus, with stunning art galleries just yards away. I can't recommend it highly enough! Thomas Steel

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank thomassteel
Reviewed 25 November 2012

The Duncan is kind of a dump but it's the most conveniently located hotel in New Haven (well tied with the Study, which is next door and expensive) and unlike the Marriott is not abutting a bad area or like the New Haven Hotel or Omni on the annoying club strip. I always stash Moms here and she loves it. (The wonderful booktrader cafe is up the block across the street.)

Only cautionary tale is to not get a shared bathroom, unless you haven't had a demented alcoholic stranger as a roommate and feel like trying it out. Also if you're a smoker feel free to go nuts; you're welcome.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Nacho C
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Devastated dirty stinking rooms. Terrible place to stay.

We were supposed to stay for two nights. But after one night, we moved next door to the wonderful Hotel Study. The room was a smoking room and it was like sleeping in an ashtray. In the middle of the night a man went crazy and started to scream. So no sleep. The very old mattress was shaped as a V and very disgusting. The window had to be open because of the smell. There was a lot of noise from the street. Firetrucks, people fighting and screaming all night long. The room var very dirty and devastated. This is the hotel from hell.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family