The Study at Yale
US$98
Omni New Haven Hotel at Yale(New Haven)
US$213
  • Room Service
US$166
Courtyard
US$93
US$88
New Haven Hotel(New Haven)
US$243
US$183
Official Hotel
US$146
New Haven Inn(New Haven)
US$68
Duncan Hotel(New Haven)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsheirloom restaurantchapel streetboutique hotelfree coffee in the lobbyfarm to tablevalet parkinglarge windowscomfy chairsplace to staysmall hotelcomfortable lobbyart museumroom servicewonderful hotelfront desk staffstreet noisethe location is perfect
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 February 2014

When a celebrated NYT columnist occupies the space, you know you're in a solid hotel/restaurant. Nice, but not overly friendly, staff. AS with another reviewer here, I was not informed of the coffee or other amenities as I usually am when I check into a hotel. The lobby is gorgeous and the Heirloom restaurant is a great bonus to this hotel. The room was more than adequate, with plenty of space for a solo business traveler for a night or two. I expect free wi-fi at this point, but the bottled waters were nice, as were the robes (not fluffy and spa-like, but a nice touch) and towels (huge and fluffy). Location is ok; I'd never been to New Haven before and I did feel it probably wasn't the nicest part of town, and seems to sit on the edge of the more chic areas closer to downtown and the University. But the price was reasonable, the restaurant staff took great care of me at the bar and I slept soundly thanks in part to the blackout blinds over the huge windows. I think it's about a mile from the main part of campus, but the valet seemed adept at helping people (not me) with taxis and other transportation, so just be aware that you may not be in walking distance if you are visiting Yale. Overall a great non-chain option to check out.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We went on a 2 night trip to Yale University for a special event, and this hotel came highly recommended. I absolutely loved the cozy lounge and reception area, the study area in our room. We really enjoyed breakfast and dinner at the hotel restaurant and had some delicious cocktails at the bar. Would happily return on my next visit to this lovely city.

Room Tip: Make sure you have a study room
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Reading the other reviews I feel like I stayed in a different place. The front desk service needs improvement. We were never told of the lobby coffee or other "goodies" available. I only now know after coming home and rereading the reviews. There was no communication about the hotel amenities from staff; I only learned of some of them from the hotel guide in the room. A few front desk staff members nodded a greeting to us over the course of our 2 night stay but returning to the hotel at 9:30 PM Saturday and walking past the 2 males at the front desk with their heads buried in their cell phones detracts from the few examples of courtesy ( and concern for hotel safety) we experienced. The valet is overworked and often unavailable or delayed. I was uncomfortable leaving my luggage in the open alcove while he attended to guests' vehicles. It is not a very secure way to store luggage. Service is poor in the restaurant ( no bread offered till we asked for it after seeing others receive it, long waits between courses, lukewarm coffee often not refilled, even burnt toast in the AM) and the meals have some very odd pairings of ingredients. Plates are either too big for the food and table or too small for the food. It was hard to eat on a table for two.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank stonewell
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Stayed here one night. Hotel staff is very friendly except for the front desk at 6am (I suspect she was half-asleep). Room is spacious with clean lines. Long, bench-style desk with desk chair is very handy. As is leather armchair with ottoman. Thoughtful attention to details like a throw blanket at the bottom of each bed to use on while reclining on the armchair and nice lighting over the armchair. Comfortable beds although double beds seem very small when you're used to sleeping in a king bed. Bathroom is clean and on the smallish side with nice quality fixtures and good water pressure. Street noise and hallway noise are fairly loud but I didn't hear anything from adjacent rooms (maybe they were unoccupied?). Free wireless internet in the room is a very nice touch as was two free bottles of water. No in-room coffee but there is free coffee available in the lobby 24/7. Valet parking is $24/day with no limit on in/out. See my separate review of the restaurant Heirloom which provides the room service as well.

Room Tip: ask if there are rooms available away from the street.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 February 2014

The hotel is convenient to all freeways and an easy walk to Yale and environs. The Study was not as "library-like" as pictured as there was a large contingent of youth squash teams staying there but rooms are well insulated against noise. Beds are excellent! Lots of working space in every room. We had asked for an upper room with view of Yale but got lower floor facing street. Lots of restaurants in the neighbourhood. Food and service in the hotel dining room was very good. Good selection of wines.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple