“Excellent hotel”

Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in New Haven
Singapore
“Excellent hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

We stayed at The Study for two nights from the 21st to the 23rd of July. We were visiting the Yale campus for a campus tour with our sons.

The Study is a wonderful example of how to run a small boutique hotel with pride, efficiency and a personal touch. The rooms lack for nothing - try and get a room with a view of Yale. We had two interconnecting rooms - a king and a double - with lovely views of Yale. The rooms were large and comfortable and the bathroom while small, had everything one could want. The hotel restaurant has excellent food and we enjoyed a delicious breakfast there on both mornings. In terms of location, it is smack in the heart of Yale and you would be hard pressed to find as lovely an alternative anywhere else in New Haven. Service is excellent, from the staff at the reception (who were only too happy to help in any way), to the restaurant staff to the room cleaning - excellent, friendly and helpful service all round. Thoughtful touches were apparent all round the hotel, from the free tea and coffee in the lounge, to the computer with printer placed strategically in the lounge for the use of guests. The entire ambience is so pleasant. We have stayed in 5 star hotels all over the world and the Study can give any one of them a run for their money just in terms of how much they make their guests feel welcome and at home. Full marks to this gem of a hotel. Any subsequent visit to Yale will certainly see us back at The Study again.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view of Yale
1 Thank romanholiday68

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Lewes, Delaware
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

I travel frequently between Maine and Delaware with my dog and usually stay in Hartford a night to split the drive up. I came across this hotel online and decided to stay in New Haven this time instead. This is now my new favorite place to stay en route to Delaware.

I got a very good rate on my room - $160 - which had a queen bed and a nice view of the Yale campus and some of the town's landmarks. While small, the room was very nice and the bed very comfortable. The bathroom is tiny but the shower is large. Some have noted noise issues at this hotel. While I must admit I don't think there were many others staying at the hotel while I was there, my room was very quiet. It was at the end of the hall on the fourth floor - Room 425. They may have put me here intentionally in case I had a barking dog : )

It's often hard to find nicer hotels that allow dogs. The Study at Yale is one. They do charge a $50 one-time fee (no matter how many nights you are staying) for a pet. We've paid $25-$50 per night at other places, so I think this is fair.

One kind of odd thing - I try to take the steps to avoid having to share the elevator with people who are uncomfortable with dogs or wait for an empty one. The stairs at this property lead into a staff area of the restaurant. Perhaps some part of the kitchen? The staff kindly directed me to the lobby area, but I felt as if perhaps I wasn't supposed to have been been there.

Another plus is that they offer full-service room service from 6 a.m. to midnight. This is a great benefit to travelers who may arrive late after typical dinner service is over as well as people with pets who can't dine out. I ordered both dinner and breakfast from room service and both were good. Dinner, in particular, was quite yummy. I had steak frites off the Heirloom (the restaurant in the hotel) menu with local salad greens. Dinner is a bit on the expensive side, and they could be a little more generous with the amount of wine they serve per glass.

As others have noted, the hotel is right smack in the middle of Yale. It's a great place to walk around and explore. I went for a walk at 9 p.m. (going left out of the hotel into downtown and then around the Yale campus) and felt totally safe.

Finally, the staff were very friendly - from the front desk to the valet to the servers to the cleaning staff. The Study is a gem.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on one of the higher floors with a view facing the Yale campus. The sunrise coming up...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank MaJolie72
Woodland, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Upon arrival at the hotel, the doormen open the door and there are cookies at the front desk. This happened consistently throughout my stay.

There is a big lounge attached to the Heirloom restaurant opposite the checkin area and the bartender, Ed was very friendly and provides great service.

The location is sandwiched on a busy street, with plenty of shops and restaurants within walking distance.

The shower is marble and modern, only one basket, so the something has to sit on the ground. The hair dryer is full size and basic amenities such as shampoo and conditioner are provided.

The room has a safe. I did not have a nice bucket or fridge. The internet wifi worked well and was easy to access from multiple devices.

I found the blackout shades on night two and they are very effective for those who are light sensitive. The room is otherwise quiet. Even though I was near the elevator, I do not recall hearing hall noise.

The workout room is small, but the equipment works and there are some dumbbells and cardio equipment with integrated TV.

There is a small coffee shop in the lobby and Yale themed clothing and golf balls for sale. The hotel does offer complimentary coffee in the mornings and apples at the front desk and workout room. The bottled water in my room was free.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank tlcjunk
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

The hotel itself is nicer than most, the staff was very helpful, it is smack in the middle of Yale. You pay $24/day for parking. We were there for one night only. It was a Saturday, we were on the 7th floor, and we could hear the music from the bar, probably from the elevator shaft. Not sure if I would pay the extra $$ to stay there again though it was very nice (clean, modern, comfortable).

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Loved that we could walk everywhere on campus! Beds/bedding were incredibly comfortable. Bathroom was great, particularly the large shower. Staff was helpful and courteous, particularly at check-in. We ended up arriving earlier than we anticipated and just wanted to park the car at the hotel while we got lunch but the clerk very kindly checked and found that our room was ready and told us we were welcome to check in even though it wasn't 3 yet. This place is a little posher than our usual hotel stay and we really enjoyed it. Decor is amazing, modern and minimalist but it amazingly still manages to retain a warmth to it.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Angela A
Boston, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

We love the Study. The rooms are clean and spacious. The rooms were due for carpet changes and they are just finishing the replacement of the carpets when we arrived. We have been staying at the study for six plus years and I was getting tired of the shampoo..and you know they have updated and changed the flavor, but kept the same manufacturer. Anthony, the manager, and Patricia, rooms manager, always find a way to accommodate us. The service is superb. We love the bar, Rob and Ed are our favorites. The food and the service in the restaurant has also improved.

Room Tip: High floor, campus view and away for the housekeeping closet.
1 Thank barbboston
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

We have stayed at the Study many times and absolutely love it.The rooms are bright, clean and very comfortable;the lobby is beautiful and a fun place to meet friends, and the Heirloom restaurant has both great food and energy for breakfast,lunch, dinner, and evening drinks. I highly recommend The Study- just wish they had more locations!

• Stayed February 2014