“Best hotel in New Haven”
Review of The Study at Yale

The Study at Yale
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in New Haven
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Chic, comfortable rooms. Very welcoming, friendly, helpful staff. Delicious food at Heirloom, the restaurant in the lobby. Low-key, relaxed library vibe. And location is prime -- practically on the Yale campus, half block away from the Yale Art Gallery and British Art Center. Easily the best hotel in New Haven -- the city is lucky to have it.

Room Tip: Ask for odd # rooms facing campus for a charming view of the Yale campus.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

This hotel is everything it claims to be. I found it it intimate, modern, functional and classy. Can't wait to stay there next year. I found the staff friendly and attentive. There was a power failure on the block in the early AM, and they ran out to get everyone pastries.

Room Tip: Higher up for better campus/architecture views.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Hotel is located in a wonderful locale filled with restaurants, shops etc and backs up to Yale Campus.
Rooms are nice, well outfitted and very clean and comfortable.
Staff was professional yet I almost felt like I was in a B&B.
Would stay again

PS: workout area is minimal

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Matrixinc
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Easy to like! Staff were friendly and polite and the location was perfect for the galleries and for exploring further afield. My colleagues had rooms over Chapel street, which were noisier than mine on the other side. The rooms are very comfortable... I especially liked the dressing gowns. Breakfast was excellent, but took a long while to arrive the three mornings I went. The free wifi helped kill the time. The bar off the restaurant serves excellent cocktails in the evenings.

Room Tip: Rooms off Chapel street are quieter. Allow extra time for breakfast.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 August 2014

the bedding is very comfortable.. firm bed with soft top and nice duvet. room is attractive and modern with great light. My view was mainly roof but a bit of Yale. Room 325 queen was nice and quiet. The shower was nice and large but no hand held shower head.. My hairdryer did not work but was replaced quickly... rather important as I was due to an event within i hour of shower. the television remote did not work but it was fixed in a timely manner too. there was trash and recycling in the room which was great.
the only downside of this room was the exceptionally bright security light on a building at Yale that shone right in the window. there were blackout blinds but I can't wake up with those so I had to balance things in the window so it wasn't in my eyes at night.
I did miss having a mini-fridge as there are no ice machines and I wanted ice late at night. The other thing I would add is a light in the closet... it was so dark that I could not tell black from navy or brown. The A/C control is misleading. I tried to change it often but it neither accurately reflected the room temperature nor was able to turn off the air when it was too cold. However, this was a minor irritation.
The bathroom has a narrow translucent window to the room so natural daylight could get in.. I like that a lot. there was a very comfortable chair and ottoman with reading light and also expansive desk by the windows. I would certainly stay here for this room as New Haven Hotels seem expensive anyway and this was much better for me than the average Marriott.
Heirloom Restaurant:
I did not have breakfast but dinner was a disappointment. Nearly an hour after I ordered I had not even been brought my glass of wine. Others got served who had arrived after us. I was told the chicken took a long time... I think one should be warned if a dish will take an hour. When it came it was pan fried, not oven roasted, so unless they had to kill and pluck the chicken after ordering this excuse was inadequate... also plenty of fresh red blood in central part of chicken. We were offered free desserts which we accepted but they were too sweet for me. If I were the manager I would have acknowledged that there was a screw up and our orders had been lost and comped the whole meal. I won't eat here again. Luckily I had read other reviews so I was prepared for the cold temperature.

Room Tip: ask for a high room at the back.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank sarawelder
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Perfect details, very chic. Bed was amazing, very nice sheets and duvet. Super elegant. Big window, a lot of light. Gorgeous view of the campus. Warm and eficent staff. I loved the zuchini falafel served at the restaurant. I found my home in New Haven.

Room Tip: Ask for the higher floors to get a better view.
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We had 2 large adjoining rooms on the top floor facing the street. Linens and beds were great. Great location for visiting Yale. Wifi was included. The staff was helpful, polite and accommodating. Heirlooms restaurant was great for breakfast and dinner.

Room Tip: Ask for top floor facing Yale.