“Not a ghost hunt - more of a history lesson”

Ghosts of New Haven Walking Tours
New Haven's Ghost Walk
Ranked #2 of 3 Tours in New Haven
Branford, Connecticut
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Not a ghost hunt - more of a history lesson”
Reviewed 24 June 2013 via mobile

My son, his girlfriend, a friend and I went for the New Haven Ghost tour on Saturday June 22, 2013. We bought the tickets through Groupon for $12 each. I read Trip Advisor reviews just before walking out the door for the tour and was not expecting to like it at all, disappointed before I even got there! It did prepare me though that we do not get to go into any buildings, which is what I assumed we would be doing. There were about 25 people or so in the group led by our guide Christine. She was very nice and pretty knowledgeable despite it only being her 3rd guided tour; she did consult index cards for a few things, but who cares! She said she most often gives tours of Guilford. She told stories of how people died and why they were haunting these places. The tour took the full 90 minutes and was a nice walk. Our group tipped her $5 each and she was very appreciative, I didn't see anyone else give a tip.

I grew up in New Haven and found it interesting and fun to actually walk to places, especially through Yale grounds, which I've never been through before. I would recommend it through Groupon, don't think it's worth $25.

2 Thank Michele0386

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“This tour is Great if you want to waste time and money”
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Myself and my lovely wife did the ghost tour. We did not see any ghost sites or hear any ghost stories. It was during the freaking day on top of that. The tour guide sucked and she had the nerve to ask for tips at the end. Strangers I met on the street were more informative about ghosts in the area and the hot spots to hit. Our tour guide did not hit the hot spots. We drove over three hours from NYC for this crap. I wasted 20 bucks on gas to get here. The only redeeming value of the tour was the fact I went with my friends whom I haven't seen in a while. DO NOT GO ON THIS TOUR. THE SCARY PART IS THE MONEY YOU WASTE!!

3 Thank Philip B
New York City, New York
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Waste of Time and Money”
Reviewed 17 June 2013

We did the Wallingford ghost tour and were beyond disappointed. This was no ghost tour. It was more of a historical tour, and even then it was lacking. The tour was too short, poorly researched, and involved the tour guide pointing to places off in the distance and spewing random disjointed facts. The tour guide was affable, but lacked the personality and presence to conduct a proper tour. Even though we only paid half price with Groupon/Living Social tickets we still felt cheated, especially after driving an hour and a half from New York to get to Wallingford.

5 Thank Ileana79
Meriden, Connecticut
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Save your money!”
Reviewed 16 June 2013

My friends and I went to the ghost tour in Wallingford and were all disappointed. We purchased the Groupon tickets for $12 pp and even that was a lot of money for the "tour" we got. Right from the start I was aggravated. The map they have listed online was inaccurate, the phone number that they provide on the website goes to an "Google" voice mail where no one answers the phone or calls back. We started the tour 20 minutes late because we were waiting for others to show up. The tour guide started the tour by telling us this is the second Wallingford tour and that she was new. Any "stories" was read from from the CT Hauntings website. Like the other reviews, this tour was more of a historical tour, not by any means a "ghost" tour. If you are looking for a spooky or thrilling tour, you are better off going elsewhere. Save your time and your money!

2 Thank Photojunkie425
East Haven, CT
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Could have been MUCH better!”
Reviewed 9 June 2013

This should have been a fun historic tour, but it was dull, with our guide telling us it was her first trip. She constantly consulted her notes, but told silly stories about this or that person dying at their job and people feeling a "cold presence" when they walked by. She told us that Yale dorms are called colleges, and left it at that. I looked it up online and the "colleges" are actually 12 microcosms of university life, including social, sports, networking, and hobnobbing with dignitaries who come to different "colleges" for teas. The "ghosts" we were told were haunting different areas because, "she died at her desk" and the area was cold, "she died cleaning the stairs" and people feel a cold presence. It was very strange. I would have liked to have had an actual docent as a tourguide. Our guide seemed like a nice person, but was not very knowledgeable at all. And the group was way too large - about 33 people. We had trouble keeping everybody together, let alone hearing what the guide was saying because of traffic noises. I'm glad we had a LivingSocial coupon and did not pay full price, but even at that, I would not recommend.

3 Thank Coco S