“Is this legit? a personal check for a refund that is scribbled by a 2 year old...after they canceled”

Ghosts of New Haven Walking Tours
Book In Advance
More Info
US$25.00*
and up
New Haven's Ghost Walk
Ranked #2 of 3 Tours in New Haven
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Okay, I can't say I went on the tour, I can tell you my sister and my experience before we even went! Glad we didn't, judging from the reviews! We booked online with Groupon....48 hours before, we got a sorry...your tour has been canceled.. please go online and rebook...there were seven of us...
After going back and forth asking for dates, and just getting the automatic email, we finally got a person, Jessie, to tell us that we can rebook anytime after the next Sunday... This is after a week of back and forth..I left a voice message, and never got a response..however..I got 3 rude, snippy emails from Jessie before we just said...refund our money..
Well, they ask for you to pay with paypal or credit card...I did with a credit card. It took 6 days, but I get a check in the mail with a card that it looks like a 2 year old wrote, unreadable. It looks like scribble on the check and the card. It comes from a New York address with a 4th floor apartment....Mind you the check number is 126, so the check is from a new account? This does not smell good to me...So, I have now asked for them to refund my money the same way they got it...I do not do personal or business checks when I do not know if they do not look legit...

I am contacting Groupon and sending a copy of this along with the list of nasty emails...

4  Thank Kimberley440
There are newer reviews for Ghosts of New Haven Walking Tours

Reviewed 17 August 2013

When I bought this on groupon, this seemed like a quirky, fun, not-too-expensive evening. It was a rip-off. If I had a nickel for every time the guide said, "I can't remember," or "I should have read my script better before we began," then I would have my money back. The tour was 45 minutes, not 90. In that time, we walked half a mile down one side of the street. We crossed the street and then walked not even all the way back up the other side of the same street. We walked through the cemetery and nothing was pointed out other than a monument for Lyman Hall, who isn't even buried here. The stories were generic and there was almost no history. Fellow participants had the most interesting stories and there seemed to be general agreement that the tour was not delivering.

2  Thank C B
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Ok, so right up front let me give you my disclaimer - I don't believe in ghosts. I certainly didn't expect to see any, and I didn't expect to be scared. However, the history behind the legends can be interesting, as can the history of the area.

My review-
1) The meeting location was easy to find and we had no problems. The guide met us there on time, and he had all of our names. Scheduling was pretty easy, so overall decent marks on the logistics.
2) If you really want to see ghosts, or think you are seeing ghosts, or get scared, or have scary fun, go walk around an old cemetery at night. Carry one of those ghost hunting tools if you want something to tell you there is something going on (or grab one of apparently many iPhone apps). This tour will not give you that. In fact, the tour takes you to an old cemetery, but you can't go in with the tour. Very disappointing.
3) If you want an interesting and informative history of the legends and the area, it wasn't much better. The guide was pleasant, but certainly not the most engaging speaker. To be fair, he had a tough night (more on that below). You walk around downtown New Haven, and don't actually go inside anywhere.

Why I'm really dissatisfied with this tour - On the night we went, K.C. and the Sunshine Band was playing a free concert on the New Haven Green. That is right in the middle of the tour, and according to our guide, it typically goes through the Green. So the guide had to work around the Green and try to shout over the concert. Most of the time you could barely hear him. It wasn't his fault - the company should not have been booking tours for that night. Maybe it would have been better without the concert going on. On the positive side, it was a beautiful night, a nice walk through the beautiful architecture of New Haven, and we got to listen to K.C. Of course, I could have done that for free.

Another important note - The tour was about 2 hours, and the only bathrooms were at the beginning - there are no stops along the way.

3  Thank KDAA
Reviewed 12 July 2013

I had purchased 2 Groupon tickets for the June 22nd, 7 P.M., Wallingford Ghost Tour about a month or so before this date. Excitedly, I looked forward to the day that I could go on this tour with my boyfriend. Sadly, the day of the tour, I was not able to make it due to a death in the family. My cat had died. Soon afterwards, I sent Jessie an email. This is the response I got from him.

Sorry!

The tour tonight started at about 7:15, with the aim to not keep those who had come earlier waiting. You can reschedule to any open tour. Please let me know when you would like to reschedule.

Jessie Simpson
Manager
Ghosts of New Haven & Wallingford

So, I emailed Jessie back on 6.24 about wanting to be rescheduled, how I had tried to do this via their website, but it not being allowed as I assumed they saw my Groupon ticket as already used:

Jessie,

I had a Groupon voucher to use for this past Saturday's tour. Due to death in my family, I was not able to attend. I tried, but I just was not able to, and I did not think I was going to make it by 7 p.m. Am I able to somehow re-register via you since I was not able to use the Groupon voucher for Sat?

I tried doing this online at your website, but it seems it does not allow it. I suppose your system sees this as used.

Please advice,

Heidi

I then received this response from Jessie:

In short, yes, the system sees the voucher code as used. If you give me the names of your entire group, however, I can manually move your reservation to another tour. You can see the availability of tours on our website.

Please accept the condolences of Ghosts of New Haven & Wallingford for your loss,

Jessie Simpson
Manager
Ghosts of New Haven & Wallingford

On June 25, I emailed Jessie again about wanting to be rescheduled for the July 6th tour. Never received a response. On June 29th, I re-emailed Jessie about the status of my wish to reschedule for July 6th. Never received a response. Then, on July 5th, I get this automatic email from Ghost of New Haven:

Dear Steven,

Our records show that we have not received your payment of $0.00 for The Wallingford Ghost Tour - July 6, 7:00PM.

Please visit View Your Payment Details to view your payment options.

Ghosts of New Haven

So, I respond to this email asking what was going on as I never heard back about being scheduled for the July 6th event. Never got a response back. I then called their # - 203-747-8BOO (8266), leave my name and number, but never get a call back. On July 6th, I get the same automatic email sent to my boyfriend, Steven, again.

So, in short, this company is horrible. It outright lies to its customers about getting them rescheduled, thus their display of sympathy is clearly a lie. They disregard emails sent to them, do not return your calls, and this all just displays terrible business ethics.

I probably would have been a good customer for I would have told friends to take this tour, but after being disregarded as a customer, I certainly will never again buy any Groupon tickets for an event held by a company that has been clearly depicted as "leaving much to be desired". Save your money and instead go on some ghost tours held in New York.

4  Thank EclipsianNight
Reviewed 24 June 2013

My son, his girlfriend, a friend and I went for the New Haven Ghost tour on Saturday June 22, 2013. We bought the tickets through Groupon for $12 each. I read Trip Advisor reviews just before walking out the door for the tour and was not expecting to like it at all, disappointed before I even got there! It did prepare me though that we do not get to go into any buildings, which is what I assumed we would be doing. There were about 25 people or so in the group led by our guide Christine. She was very nice and pretty knowledgeable despite it only being her 3rd guided tour; she did consult index cards for a few things, but who cares! She said she most often gives tours of Guilford. She told stories of how people died and why they were haunting these places. The tour took the full 90 minutes and was a nice walk. Our group tipped her $5 each and she was very appreciative, I didn't see anyone else give a tip.

I grew up in New Haven and found it interesting and fun to actually walk to places, especially through Yale grounds, which I've never been through before. I would recommend it through Groupon, don't think it's worth $25.

2  Thank Michele0386