“Don't waste the money”

111 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“Don't waste the money”
Reviewed 21 December 2013

When I think of a Ghost tour of any kind, I think of something where I might see something, hear something, experience something. None of these happened on this tour. Basically, all that went on was we walk the town and they told stories and pointed out places that may be haunted. I paid half price on Groupon's website and still wasn't worth it to me. Would have really been disappointed if I had paid full price a ticket! If you are going to do a Ghost Tour I'd recommend doing a Slater Mill Tour in Pawtucket, RI.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank jlgsgirl

West Haven, Connecticut
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Very informative”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I got the tour half price on Groupon. Well worth the money spent to spend a few hours with family, learn some history and see a few orbs. We did this on the Saturday before Halloween, and it was a large group. Our guide was great,(wish I remembered her name) had lots of stories. Very informative, lots of history in New Haven, I had no idea. The walk was well paced. About halfway through, we stopped at a place that had rest rooms. Dress for the weather, it was really cold and very windy. I was ready for it, but many were not. This is all outside, again, dress for the weather.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank tellmemore2
hamden
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Is this legit? a personal check for a refund that is scribbled by a 2 year old...after they canceled”
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Okay, I can't say I went on the tour, I can tell you my sister and my experience before we even went! Glad we didn't, judging from the reviews! We booked online with Groupon....48 hours before, we got a sorry...your tour has been canceled.. please go online and rebook...there were seven of us...
After going back and forth asking for dates, and just getting the automatic email, we finally got a person, Jessie, to tell us that we can rebook anytime after the next Sunday... This is after a week of back and forth..I left a voice message, and never got a response..however..I got 3 rude, snippy emails from Jessie before we just said...refund our money..
Well, they ask for you to pay with paypal or credit card...I did with a credit card. It took 6 days, but I get a check in the mail with a card that it looks like a 2 year old wrote, unreadable. It looks like scribble on the check and the card. It comes from a New York address with a 4th floor apartment....Mind you the check number is 126, so the check is from a new account? This does not smell good to me...So, I have now asked for them to refund my money the same way they got it...I do not do personal or business checks when I do not know if they do not look legit...

I am contacting Groupon and sending a copy of this along with the list of nasty emails...

Visited October 2013
4 Thank Kimberley440
New Haven, Connecticut
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Yes, it was that bad”
Reviewed 17 August 2013

When I bought this on groupon, this seemed like a quirky, fun, not-too-expensive evening. It was a rip-off. If I had a nickel for every time the guide said, "I can't remember," or "I should have read my script better before we began," then I would have my money back. The tour was 45 minutes, not 90. In that time, we walked half a mile down one side of the street. We crossed the street and then walked not even all the way back up the other side of the same street. We walked through the cemetery and nothing was pointed out other than a monument for Lyman Hall, who isn't even buried here. The stories were generic and there was almost no history. Fellow participants had the most interesting stories and there seemed to be general agreement that the tour was not delivering.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank C B
East Hartford, Connecticut
146 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 216 helpful votes
“I'm Your Boogie Man...”
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Ok, so right up front let me give you my disclaimer - I don't believe in ghosts. I certainly didn't expect to see any, and I didn't expect to be scared. However, the history behind the legends can be interesting, as can the history of the area.

My review-
1) The meeting location was easy to find and we had no problems. The guide met us there on time, and he had all of our names. Scheduling was pretty easy, so overall decent marks on the logistics.
2) If you really want to see ghosts, or think you are seeing ghosts, or get scared, or have scary fun, go walk around an old cemetery at night. Carry one of those ghost hunting tools if you want something to tell you there is something going on (or grab one of apparently many iPhone apps). This tour will not give you that. In fact, the tour takes you to an old cemetery, but you can't go in with the tour. Very disappointing.
3) If you want an interesting and informative history of the legends and the area, it wasn't much better. The guide was pleasant, but certainly not the most engaging speaker. To be fair, he had a tough night (more on that below). You walk around downtown New Haven, and don't actually go inside anywhere.

Why I'm really dissatisfied with this tour - On the night we went, K.C. and the Sunshine Band was playing a free concert on the New Haven Green. That is right in the middle of the tour, and according to our guide, it typically goes through the Green. So the guide had to work around the Green and try to shout over the concert. Most of the time you could barely hear him. It wasn't his fault - the company should not have been booking tours for that night. Maybe it would have been better without the concert going on. On the positive side, it was a beautiful night, a nice walk through the beautiful architecture of New Haven, and we got to listen to K.C. Of course, I could have done that for free.

Another important note - The tour was about 2 hours, and the only bathrooms were at the beginning - there are no stops along the way.

Visited July 2013