“Good Pizza”

Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed 10 July 2014

The pizza was good, but not outstanding. I would go back again but I would not go that far out of my way to go to the pizzeria. Customer service was good.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

I've been to Pepe's many times and just wanted to give a shout out of thanks to our server, nancy. She was exceptional. (Btw, pizza was great as always).

Reviewed 9 July 2014

There's a reason that Frank Sinatra used to have their pizzas driven to him in NYC - they are the best. Their pizza is outstanding and simple. There is usually a wait at the door but it's worth it. Also, the line moves fairly fast because the oven cooks the pizza so fast that they come right out, reducing the eating time. You have to have their pizza if you are in the area.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

I have been going to Pepe's for over 30 years and NEVER ever been disappointed ! EVER !
When friends come to Connecticut I take them to discover what REAL PIZZA looks and tastes like .

What's a White Clam Pie ? Or Tomato with parmesan and fresh mozzarella ? Thin Crust/ Brick Oven/ burnt edges crispy pizza ? They soon discover it and are hooked for life and can never go back to " chain restaurant pizza".

Simply the Most delicious, knock your socks off, make you salivate and make you MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM and Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, memorable....pizza on the planet.

Thankfully with other locations other than New Haven now. Buckland Hills Mall area and Casino.

CIELO !

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I've been living in Connecticut for 20 years, and I've heard about Frank Pepe's 10,000 times. Everyone says its the best pizza and "you have to go there." I live about an hour away. I tried to go there once about 10 years ago but the line to get in was too long for my kids at that time.

So we finally went, and were very excited to go. We got there at 5:15 on a Sunday afternoon, and, of course, there was a line about 50 people long to get in. It took about 30 minutes to get in. Once we were in, we were seated, and I was a little surprised at the decor. The booths, and walls and the whole restaurant had a 1950's feel to it. Everything looked somewhat old and very dated. Given that it is so popular (and presumably making money), I would think they would update the restaurant from time to time. The plates are cheap plastic, the glasses and silverware were cheap and outdated.

I was surprised they serve their own brand of soda as well as some brand I never heard of (no Coke or Pepsi). The kids ordered lemonade and it was some awful "Hi-C" brand that I haven't seen since the 1970's and it was bad.

They have only salad as an appetizer. They offer only pizza to eat (which was fine for us since that was what we were there for but you should know there are no other options). No dessert offered either.

As far as the pizza goes, maybe my expectations were too high since I had heard everyone glow about it for 20 years. I thought that IF my pizza had been properly cooked, it would have been very average, and nothing more. My pizza (see picture) was burnt. The crust was black, and there was char on the bottom- our fingers actually turned black from holding it. I brought this to the attention of our waiter (when he finally came over) and he picked up the pizza with his hands (which I thought was very odd) and said, that the cook was probably slow in turning the pizza in the oven, and that next time I should tell them I want it "light baked." Usually a waiter would offer to replace the food or credit the bill, but not this time, they told me I should make sure to tell them next time to not burn the food! Odd!

Had it been cooked properly, I would have enjoyed it but thought that it was average, nothing terrific. For think crust pizza's I love Flat Bread Pizza in Canton, Connecticut and Harry's Bishop Corner's - they make delicious thin crust pizzas. Pepe's- eh.

I do have to say, my wife and daughter got a Spinach, Gorgonzola and Mozzarella pizza and it was cooked properly and they thought it was really good. I didn't taste but they did say it was worth a trip.