“discriminatory Bartenders”

Cuisines: American, Pizza, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, View, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I am very concerned that I may have experienced explicit racial discrimination for the first time at this establishment. I went to Bar for the first time to celebrate graduation from law school with a group of friends. The night was ruined by an inexplicably rude bartender. Even though I had not had anything to drink that night, the bartender refused to serve me on the grounds of being too drunk to be served (a state that I have never been in, since I rarely have more than one drink on occasion) and accused me of being belligerent when I questioned her reasoning. She proceeded to serve all the other (white) customers, some of whom were actually visibly inebriated and one of whom visibly under the legal drinking age. I have never experienced such inexplicably discriminatory hostile behavior. I would like to think that it wasn't my race but because she didn't like my voice or my outfit. Either way, I will never frequent this establishment again.

4  Thank ctgrapefruit

Reviewed 20 April 2014

The big name pizza places can be a long wait and frankly I am not always in the mood to stand in line. In fact I rarely am. I was so glad to be let in on this secret. The pizzas are terrific, if not at the exact same par of the best of New haven they are right up there. I'd say the toppings are (get the clam pie) if not the crust. Terrific beers and a great salad round out the meal. Not a lot of choice but all is done right.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

The food is delicious. That is indisputable. The service however is another matter. The maître d is unfriendly at best, rude and outright nasty at worst. They misrepresent seating times, changing estimates to suit their needs. Frankly, there was no attempt to be welcoming at all.

To make it worse, the house brewed beers were awful. Just the worst microbrews I have had anywhere. Warm, flat, and one in particular (blond ale) was like spoiled Miller Lite.

Overall, great pizza . But they should just do take out and sell bottled beer.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

Was recently in New Haven on a short business trip and had the distinct pleasure to spend an evening at BAR. While waiting for our table, read the menu and couldn't believe that they offered mashed potatoes as an option on a white pie. Really?? ...then started seeing pie after pie pass by to hungry diners. Boy, did it smell good! So, by the time we claimed our table, our minds were made up: white pie with mozzarella, mashed potatoes and bacon it was. It was fabulous! One of the best pizzas I've ever had. Mmmmmm. The salad was pretty good, too, as was the microbrew.

Absolutely recommend this! Make it a "must stop" when you're in New Haven.

Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

Amazing pizza. Thin crust and sauce is great. Mash potato with garlic and bacon is to die for!! This place is right up there among the best pizza in New Haven. Parking right across the street. Usually not long of a wait. Highly recommend. Won't be disappointed.