“Marijuana,Sketchy, Filth, should sell rooms by the hour, NOT like any La Quinta you have stayed in befor.”

La Quinta Inn & Suites New Haven
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in New Haven
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Greeted with a strong smell of melting plastic and a request we return in an hour because check in was not until 3pm. To kill time we went to the attached restaurant Greek olive to have lunch I would not recommend this confused eatery to anyone. After our substandard lunch we returned to the lobby to check in and stood at the front desk just to be ignored while the clerk and another staff member finish their personal conversation all the while the clerk glancing up looking at us and then continuing the conversation without any acknowledgement of our existence. After a few minutes we were finely given our room keys and started up to the room. As soon as we stepped off the elevator I was smacked in the face with a strong smell of marijuana we made our way to the room and thank god it didn’t smell the same but it was filthy to no end unidentifiable fluid spots on the desk, mold in the bathroom, a dusty air vent that looked like it was not cleaned in years. So as we processed the situation we went outside to have a cigarette and were stopped by a shady pan handler after going through the motions with him we watched as he was casing cars in the parking lot. Needless to say at this point we decided to pack up and leave. I do have to say when I was checking out I was offered an upgrade and a discount by the manager but this was not going to make it better.

I have stayed in better motels.

Room Tip: Don't bring your Family.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
1  Thank Andrew G

Reviewed 17 October 2013

I have no complaints about the room. It is what you would expect for the price. However, this is a fairly large 8 story hotel. The parking lot was full every night. In spite of this, there was never more than 1 person working the front. At night there was only one person working, period. It took forever to check in. Several people came to the desk asking for simple things like linens for the hideaway bed. The front desk clerk would have to do this. During breakfast one day, the phone was ringing off the hook. There was nobody there to answer it. Eventually one of the breakfast customers got so sick of hearing the phone ring, he went over and answered it.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 October 2013

This was my favorite hotel I have ever stayed at. I have stayed at Ritz-Carltons and many others but this was by far my favorite. The breakfast buffet was delicious and the rooms were beautiful. The view was one of the best I HAVE EVER SEEN. Wonderful experience.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Location is quite convenient. Had a view of the highway. Had a broken hair dryer that was missing a protective cover, even though it worked. You may risk getting electrocuted or your hair might got stuck in the dryer. I had to dry my hair which left me no choice even though they tried to look at the problem. There was NO backup dryer available. Window valance had water stains. The room is quite run down for a reputable inn. They really need to renovate the rooms. I was quite disappointed and I would not recommend to anyone to stay there.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank W H
Reviewed 4 October 2013

We stayed September 29 and were unhappy that the room was just half cleaned, but checked In late so didn't notify the front desk until the next morning. A few days later the manager called us and made a very satisfactory refund. Thank you Eric Parsons. We stay in this hotel about four or more times a year and I now feel that we will continue to stay here.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We were in New Haven for a football weekend, 4 guys, and wanted something close by. I was not familiar with the area but reviews on this hotel were not that bad. I'm not sure what others were expecting or if there had been a major renovation between their stays in ours. We were very impressed with the size and condition of the rooms. The price is quite appropriate. In addition we were right next to the October Fest being celebrated. they closed off several blocks and it provided for a fun time late into the night. With all that noise we could not hear anything from our rooms! The only suggestion I could make would be to have some sort of management available in the morning. We walked down about 9:30 and most items were all out. It took them 15 minutes to re-plenish.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 September 2013

As we walked into our room, we were greeted with the smell of marijuana and found marijuana ash and a butt of a joint on the windowsill, and since the windows did not open, could not get rid of the terrible smell. We told the front desk about the terrible smell and they would not offer to switch our room, but rooms were still empty, and they could have switched us. They told us they would send up a "de-smoke" machine that would clear up the smell, but it never got to our room.
Another room that my friend was staying in had a mysterious brown ring of filth in the bathtub, and they were forced to shower in our room.
The hallways were dirty, and the top comforter was disgustingly dirty.
We planned to take the their shuttle into the charming Yale campus to have a nice dinner, and we waited for the shuttle, and the front desk kept telling us that the shuttle would arrive soon and that it had been to the airport...that it was in traffic.......meanwhile, there was NO traffic, and the shuttle never arrived, so we are convinced this shuttle service is actually imaginary! Also, the woman at the front desk was aggressive and nasty when my friend asked several times about when the shuttle was going to arrive.
We also saw a prostitute in the front lobby, and the hotel itself also gave off a depressing vibe.
Overall, a terrible TERRIBLE TERRIBLE HORRIBLY AWFUL EXTREMELY TERRIBLE stay. I would rather pay much extra to stay at a quality hotel, than this hotel that is not well managed and disgusting.
DO NOT stay here.

#3 of 12 in New Haven
Courtyard New Haven at Yale
Omni New Haven Hotel at Yale
Hampton Inn & Suites New Haven - South - West Haven

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites New Haven? Share your experiences!