“going downhill”

Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in New Haven
Houston
“going downhill”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

Since my first stay a few years ago this place has started going downhill. Cleanliness,so-so. Shabby hallways needing a good cleaning. Minimal room amenities. Thar said, room was comfortable and the staff welcoming and helpful. It is convenient to freeway and downtown, but I doubt i'd return to this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
West Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

My first experience with LaQuinta was a very pleasant surprise. They totally exceeded my expectations for a 3-Star hotel. - The rooms were quiet. - The staff went out of their way to help me with my problems and needs.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

Berkley, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

We stayed here overnight while on a road trip to NYC. The price was great. The hotel was clean. We were not far from the Yale campus which has some shops and restaurants and old buildings. The room was comfortable and clean, everything was in working order. It wasn't anything fancy but we knew it wouldn't be. We were happy with the quality. It was great for a stop over hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Uppsala, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

I don't understand why this hotel hasn't got better ratings. Ok, no luxury but if you consider the value for money this is a superdeal.

I got there one evening, tired after a transatlantic flight. Checking in was very quick, but when I entered the room I realised it was not made up. The receptionist apologized and I got a small studio as an excuse for the inconvenience. The room had microwave, fridge, iron, tv etc. The aircondition kept the temperature at a good level. It was a bit noisy. I was not disturbed by it, but for those who easily are disturbed by sound ear plugs might come handy.

A simple breakfast is included. You get unlimited bread (toast and bagles), Cream cheese, jam, peanut butter, eggs. There are also cereal, porridge, apples and you can make waffles. This was a nice surpise for me, who thought I would have to go out for breakfast.

There is a reasonably priced restaurang (Greek and American food) in the same building. Very convenient (they serve beer too). I tried their burgers which were excellent. There are more restaurants around and also ATMs and a gas station where you can buy soda, sandwiches etc.

The area is kind of industrial (but nice to be close to the water). Downtown New Haven is c. 1-2 miles away. There is a free shuttle service which brings you there and you can also phone for the shuttle to get back to the hotel. Great service, but remember that you have to wait for your turn. So if you are in a hurry a taxi might be a wise choice. But if not - free shuttle, thank you!

Finally, the staff is great! I really felt that they tried their best to give me a good stay. This place is really good value for money. I would stay there again, if I ever come back.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Mentor
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

This is a clean, quiet and friendly Inn. The breakfast was good and kept clean. The location was close to my business meeting and since I had enough reward points to stay free, it was a plus. I would stay again without the rewards.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business

Sao Carlos, SP
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014

If I go back to New Haven some day, surely i would stay at la quinta inn new haven. They have very nice rooms, a very good free shuttle service and a very pleasant staff. The people there are the best!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Rodrigo M
Hopewell Junction, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

On the 26th of January we arrived at this property. We had two(2) reservations. One was been paid by Uncle Sam(I was having a triple by-pass at the near-by VA Hospital in West Haven. The other reservation were for my two grown children. Check-in process was fine and easy. They place us both on the 2nd floor. Around 8pm the noise started. It was party downstairs. I needed sleep as we had to be at the hospital very early next morning(the front desk knew about that).
It last lasted 11:30pm. This was totally unacceptable. So why didn't they just have up in the upper floors As I told the front desk staffer at 11:15 pm in my 45 years staying in hotels this "by-far" was the worst hotel we ever stayed.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family