“Convenient to drop off kid at Yale”

La Quinta Inn & Suites New Haven
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in New Haven
mlace
“Convenient to drop off kid at Yale”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We were dropping our son off at Yale during the reunion weekend for the 50 and 40th, so things were a bit tight. This hotel is located only 2 mile drive from Yale. It would not be a destination by it self. It is noisy (right next to 95), way too warm for my liking. It was old and run down. The people in service were nice. Although not very informed. When I asked how to get to the light house in the bay, several of them did not know there was a lighthouse. The man who set up breakfast was very nice and helpful.

Room Tip: Beds were really, really hard.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Teaneck, New Jersey
Reviewed 2 June 2014

It's kind of a sad, old hotel - lots of "modernizations" throughout and overall they've done a reasonable job, but still some sloppy patch jobs around. The staff seems to try hard. Nothing special, but nothing horrible either.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a high school competition in September 2013 and this was without a doubt the absolute worst hotel experience of my life. Staff was unhelpful, and the room was DISGUSTING! Do not stay here. They couldn't get me to come back for a free room. Absolutely terrible. My whole team recounted this as the funniest experience of high school because of how bad it was. I guess it's good because we bonded due to the situation and made a joke out of it, but really it was awful. I hate that I have to give it a 1 star rating instead of a zero

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank VolunteerReviewer

Travellers are raving about these New Haven hotels

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Its oddly place on the side of the highway and opposite the Wharf, and it looks scary at first sight. But when I came in it was actually pretty nice. Guest services was very polite and smiley which I liked and they promptly checked me in.
I came up to my floor and was surprised at how low the ceiling was, I could touch it without standing on my tippy toes. When I came to the room, which was at the end of the hallway and a double to boot, I opened the door and found a little foyer. I though it was very cute. The room was clean but there was still a kind of smell to it even with the air going. Thank goodness I bring Febreeze with me where ever I go, because you never know. I love the fact that they have a microwave AND fridge and the TV has a guide so you dont have to aimlessly guess what channel is which.

My complaints are: It is pet friendly, there was a woman who's Pomeranian would not stop barking, I guess it had separation anxiety because it went on for an hour. My biggest pet peeve was truly realized with the walls being thin. They were so thin I could hear the people 2 doors down arguing. The bathrooms are still dated and so is the furniture. There is a chair in my room that looks like its been sat on since 1965, so the color is starting to wear and fade from brown to greenish. Also, it wouldnt hurt for someone to clean the windows outside.

It's not scary, nor is it creepy, and the price is reasonable. There is free wifi, internet, and breakfast.
Nice rooms, nice service. Extended my stay :)

Room Tip: If you want a decent breakfast, there is a diner attached to the hotel. It is 6-8 minutes away from...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Emmaus
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We have stayed at many La Quintas all over the country. They have mostly been very good, but this was certainly one of the worst. First the Good News - the bed was very comfortable (which we have come to expect from LQ). Now the Bad News - the temperature control was terrible. As soon as the heat shut off a blast of Arctic air came out of the blower. This made it almost impossible to sleep. Also the fridge was extremely small, and made even smaller by the thick layer of ice all around the freezer. It had not been defrosted in a very long time. The noise level, both from outside the building and inside of it was also quite bad. And the locale was what can be charitably described as Industrial.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Santa Clara, United States
Reviewed 26 May 2014

La Quinta in New Haven, CT: Staff was friendly, courteous and helpful. Love the hotel shuttle service; they picked me up from the train station, and also took me to nearby places (I came back for college reunion).

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

new haven, United States
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I stayed here for kids graduation. Omni was full (and $550 per nite) and Marriott Courtyard was full (and $379 per nite). LaQ was $215 per nite and not too far away. They provided shuttle service which they got right all but once. My room was quiet, internet worked every time, and TV worked. Bathroom was OK. Overall, I saved $500 and I was pretty happy. I wish that they had bananas for breakfast. Workout room was sparse, but they had a quality treadmill and I never had to wait (ran all 3 days). Staff was friendly. If I have to go back to New Haven, and Omni and Marriott are going to try to gouge me (and they charge extra for parking), I would stay at LaQ again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family