“Great little seafood restaurant”
Review of The Bistro

The Bistro
Ranked #10 of 144 Restaurants in New London
Price range: US$14 - US$24
Cuisines: American, European, Seafood, International, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Chaplin's specializes in local, fresh-caught sea food. In addition to New England traditions, Chaplin's ventures into other American regional favorites. With warm hospitality, Chaplin's serves up fresh dinners and fun times year round.
New London, Connecticut, Usa
“Great little seafood restaurant”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

This little restaurant tucked in on Bank St, New London offers great seafood at very reasonable prices. The just recently won second place in the New London Main Street Spring Food Stroll Culinary Contest. Worth checking out.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank DeirdreC890

“Clean yet Pricey.”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Stopped in early on a Saturday evening. The place is nice and well decorated. The menu is small and easy to navigate.
The prices were a bit high considering the portion size and lack of bread. The food was decent, though not great. It got busy quickly though, so the locals seem to like it. Glad i tried it, but wouldn't go back again.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Smiling-Matt
Voluntown, Connecticut
“I would suggest this as a nice place to have dinner.”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Having heard that the place is small and can fill up when there is an event downtown, we made reservations and we greeted warmly. I understand it is a small kitchen and owner operated, but the appetizer list is rather short, and overall the menu only had a few vegetarian options. Of course I was there for seafood and I ordered the seafood sampler. The seafood sampler has tuna, swordfish, scallops and shrimp. When my food arrived I was a little surprised. I wasn't expecting a giant platter or anything but it was well... smallish..
Don't get me wrong the food was good. The mashed potatoes were rather plain but good. The sauteed veggies were rather plain, but good. The seafood was good. That is why the 4 stars.
It is a good place to have dinner, but with a little extra this place could stand out easily....
One note the lobster chowder was amazing. I would give that stuff 5 stars all day long. You should also leave room for dessert, at least to split with someone. The burbon pecan pie was not overly sweet, and it had a nice home made crust. Maybe I would come back next time when I am in the mood for chowder and pie....

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank SkoonR
Waterford, Connecticut, United States
“Lovely”
Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

My husband and I were looking for suggestions for a different place to enjoy a date night out together. One of our friends recommended Chaplin's so we decided to give it a try. It was a Friday night , but it wasn't overly crowded and we were quickly seated. The staff was friendly and accommodating. The food was very good and fresh. I truly enjoyed every bite of my seafood platter. The portions are just enough and we thoroughly enjoyed our night out at Chaplins.

1 Thank MelissaP940
New Hampshire
“A Great Find”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Located on Bank Street in New London, this eatery serves up seasonal foods, and specialties. The space is small so if you are thinking of going on the weekend, call for reservations first. On busy nights, parking can be a problem since it is on the street. The Owner/Chef puts out delicious food in nice portions. Definitely try his homemade soups especially if it is a chilly evening. I had the Swordfish, which was done to perfection. Seared well on the outside and moist and juicy on the inside.

• Visited November 2013