“New London Institution”
Review of Michael's Dairy

Michael's Dairy
Ranked #1 of 2 Dessert in New London
Reviewed 18 March 2013

Been here every summer for the last 50 years! Great fresh American style ice cream run by and on the campus of Mitchell college. Great selection of classic flavors. Go local!

1  Thank Jabrd

Reviewed 30 November 2012

On my most recent visit to New London, I was happy and surprised to see that Michael’s Dairy was open. I had heard that it had closed, but happily not. I used to get ice cream here as a child. Michael’s Dairy has been around since the 1930s and continued as a functioning dairy into the 1970s. It is still an ice cream parlor run by Mitchell College. On this visit, I found that other than ownership, nothing had changed, which in this case is good. It still has its retro feel inside and out. The neon sign is still in the window. The bins for the many, many flavors of ice cream are still there. The counter inside is still there. The counter is small, with only a few stools. It’s more of a place to get your ice cream to take out and eat somewhere else. On this visit, the number of flavors was limited since they were getting ready to close for the season. They only had what they hadn’t run out of yet available, but I saw that their usual selection is still quite large. Fortunately for me, they still had one of my favorites. If I hadn’t eaten fairly recently, I would have ordered a banana bucket, a specialty there for as long as I can remember. It’s like a banana split on steroids. You need to have a huge appetite or someone to share it with to not let this go to waste. Instead, I asked for one scoop in a cup, and it turned out to be a huge scoop. Actually, I saw that it took him more than one scoop to do it, but the cup was full. I certainly got my money’s worth.