“GREAT ice cream - do not miss it!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: American
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Groton, Connecticut, United States
“GREAT ice cream - do not miss it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

Wonderful homemade ice cream in many flavors...a local legend...do not miss this place if you're in the area...worth driving from somewhere else just to get ice cream here.

Visited August 2012

Greenwich, Connecticut
“Good ice cream”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013 via mobile

Having enjoyed the fireworks at Ocean State Beach on Friday, July 19th, we went for some ice cream. Google Maps had this ice cream store as closing at 10:30 p.m., which was great as it was only about 9:40 when we started driving their way. After getting lost for a little bit, Michael's Dairy came into view. We walked in right at a minute or so to 10 p.m. and I asked the young blond haired college aged girl if they closed at 10:30. She said they closed at 10 p.m. I am not sure if she was annoyed or not by our late arrival. Even though they were closing, her co-worker, a dark haired college girl, was kind enough to serve us vanilla ice cream w/rainbow sprinkles in medium sized cups. The cost ended up being $9 and some change. I paid in cash for I do not think they accept cards.

The ice cream looked fresh and yummy and this would soon be validated once I took a spoonful. As we were in our car and leaving, we noticed another couple walking in. Perhaps, they too, saw via maps that this was open til 10:30 p.m. Even though there were older folks sitting in a table next to the door, none of them told this couple the parlor had closed. The couple found out the hard way by trying to open the door. Such courtesy from some people.

Being that it is summer, it may be nice for them to stay open until 10:30 p.m., especially on super hot days. If in New London again, we will return to try out other flavors.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
“New London Institution”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2013

Been here every summer for the last 50 years! Great fresh American style ice cream run by and on the campus of Mitchell college. Great selection of classic flavors. Go local!

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Jabrd
Dallas, Texas
“Nostalgic Ice Cream Parlor”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2012

On my most recent visit to New London, I was happy and surprised to see that Michael’s Dairy was open. I had heard that it had closed, but happily not. I used to get ice cream here as a child. Michael’s Dairy has been around since the 1930s and continued as a functioning dairy into the 1970s. It is still an ice cream parlor run by Mitchell College. On this visit, I found that other than ownership, nothing had changed, which in this case is good. It still has its retro feel inside and out. The neon sign is still in the window. The bins for the many, many flavors of ice cream are still there. The counter inside is still there. The counter is small, with only a few stools. It’s more of a place to get your ice cream to take out and eat somewhere else. On this visit, the number of flavors was limited since they were getting ready to close for the season. They only had what they hadn’t run out of yet available, but I saw that their usual selection is still quite large. Fortunately for me, they still had one of my favorites. If I hadn’t eaten fairly recently, I would have ordered a banana bucket, a specialty there for as long as I can remember. It’s like a banana split on steroids. You need to have a huge appetite or someone to share it with to not let this go to waste. Instead, I asked for one scoop in a cup, and it turned out to be a huge scoop. Actually, I saw that it took him more than one scoop to do it, but the cup was full. I certainly got my money’s worth.

• Visited October 2012