“One of the best in New London”
Review of Tony D's

Tony D's
Ranked #5 of 144 Restaurants in New London
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
New England
“One of the best in New London”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Tony D's in downtown New London is a very good Italian restaurant - for both lunch and dinner.
The menu has a lot of variety and all very good quality - but you might want to try the house/home made Italian specialties.
The restaurant is large, modern and clean - with very good service.
For some reason, it doesn't seem to be busy during the week, which makes it an easy stop when you are in the area.

• Visited May 2014

Westfield, Massachusetts
“Lunch Among Friends”
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We are particular about a lot of things. We are willing to drive some 70 miles to New London for a car dealership we really trust. We are also willing to go long distances for an exceptional meal. Even though we have been making periodical visits to this town for some 20 years, we had never been to Tony D's. That was our mistake.

At the dealership's suggestion, and our own research on Tripadvisor, we decided to meet some longstanding RI friends here for a leisurely lunch. They and we feel we have just met some new friends. Peter, our waiter, and Tony D, made us feel at home in their very accomplished restaurant. The food and preparation were of high quality, the ambiance relaxing and the service polished and genuinely friendly.

Readers of my reviews will know we spend a lot of time in Italy every year. That makes me a little wary and critical of "Italian-American" restaurants. This one, however, passes with flying colors. The sauces on our calamari appetizer, bolognese, broccoli rabe and sausage were fresh and skillfully made. Everyone enjoyed our Caesar salads, with or without anchovies as each preferred. The wine list was short, but had a number of solid choices.

We were probably the only customers that hadn't been there many many times before, but we were welcomed with genuine hospitality. It's an old school kind of place, with music in the background from when they knew how to write melodies.

We will be back, and are looking forward to working our way through more dishes on their menu.

• Visited March 2014
Waterford, Connecticut
“A Great Downtown Restaurant”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

My wife and I dine at Tony D's often throughout the year and have always found the food and drinks excellent. There are always specials on the menu and the staff is great. On certain nights there is also entertainment in the bar area which is enjoyable.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Butch0
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great scoff”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I'd get teleported back in an instant if I couod, and order some of their posh Italian scoff, great place highly recommend

Visited February 2014
Groton, Connecticut
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Authentic and Classy Italian Restaurant ”
Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

Love this place!!! This is literally the ONLY restaurant that I will order spaghetti and meatballs with red spaghetti sauce because it's the only place that makes it right!!! (Beside me... Lol) I love spaghetti and meatballs, but I'm always disappointed when I order it out, so I never do, EXCEPT at Tony D's!!! It is definitely my favorite thing on the menu and I order it everyone I go there. Their Caesar salad is the best and again, has an authentic Italian taste. The atmosphere is very classy, with nice traditional music playing lightly in the background and candles on the table giving it a dimly lit atmosphere where you can sit, relax, and enjoy your meal. If you want a sexy fun night out with your significant other, this is the place to go. If you are looking for a fun classy place to have a few drinks and a good meal to celebrate with friends and family, this is the place to go. If you want to get dressed up on a weekend and see and be seen, this is the place to go. If you are looking for a restaurant where you won't be disappointed when your meal arrives, definitely, this is the place to go. Fun, classy, sexy, cool, chic place to go... Have fun and maybe I will see you there... Bon appetite : )