“Have Reasonable Expectations”

GreenLeadersBronze level
West Palm Beach, Florida
“Have Reasonable Expectations”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

We stayed at this hotel while visiting our daughter at the U.S. Coast Guard Academy for parent's weekend this past September. The hotel was recently renovated and the rooms were very clean and the beds were very comfortable. However it is important to note that it is not located in the nicest part of town and there is not a whole lot to do in the immediate vicinity of the hotel. It is located very close to the Academy, just a short drive away and close to the ferry if you want to go across to Long Island.

The staff at the hotel was very nice. They went out of their way to answer any questions and make our stay as pleasant as possible. I was a little nervous about the quality of the service based on some poor reviews that I had read prior to staying there however, we did not find that to be the case. We had requested a roll-a-way bed one night so that our daughter could stay with us but they didn't have one available. It could have ended there as we had not requested the roll-a-way with our reservation but instead, they upgraded us to a suite w/pullout sofa at no additional charge for which we were extremely appreciative.

Just as a note, they have a restaurant in the hotel as well as an indoor heated pool however we did not have a chance to try either out.

All things considered, I would have no problems staying there again. However, should you choose to stay here, you should have reasonable expectations. It is basically a 3 star hotel located in a 2 star area and you should not expect 4 or 5 star accommodations, just the basics. If you are expecting anymore than that, you're likely to be disappointed. If you have reasonable expectations, you'll probably enjoy your stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Amit R, General Manager at Holiday Inn New London - Mystic Area, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Dear Jim,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. It's always nice to hear that everything worked out from your visit perspective. We appreciate you recognizing the staff extra miles, which we strive to do everyday.

Thanks again for choosing us & looking forwards to your stay again in near future.

Warm regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Virginia Beach, Va
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

This was my first opportunity to stay at this hotel, my experience was excellent from beginning to end. The rooms are very spacious and furnished well. They are well maintained and kept very clean. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful and did everything possible to make my stay as pleasant as possible. The restaurant has a great variety to close from and the folks are great

Room Tip: Make reservations early as possible!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear GovernmentTraveler,

We are thrilled to hear from brand new & spacious product to staff service everything you found up to your satisfaction level. We appreciate your time letting us know, it drives my team to go above & beyond over & over.

We hope to be at your service again

Warm regards
Koege, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

Our room at Holiday Inn was H-U-G-E!!! Very comfortable and everything worked to our satisfaction. Delicious burger at the restaurant at the hotel. The hotel is fairly new, so everything is in mint condition. Super value for the money..... and very conveniently located re. the Cross Sound Ferry to Long Island.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dear Bertil-Brinko,

Thank you for recognizing the oversize brand new rooms, restaurant & super duper friendly staff. We appreciate your time. We are a downtown hotel, also closet to Ferry.

Thanks again & hope to be at your service in near future.
Hartford
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

I stay at HI properties at least 80 nights per year. Really???? .... This is a newly renovated hotel. The rooms are nothing special. I had dinner at the bar. When i received a hand written bill I told the server I was going to charge to my room. Not a special request. She was confused and had her manager do it. When I finally got the bill, they added an 18% tip to the bill. NOT something any Holiday Inn has ever done, I was by myself. I always leave a 20% tip, however thought it odd they would automatically add a tip AND show an empty line for me to add more.

Breakfast was not so good. I paid over $9.00 for dry cereal and yogurt. They didn't have low fat milk. The coffee was weak and the service was terrible.

Next time I'm in New London I will stay at a HI Express. This place is managed poorly to say the least. And when the hotel management reads my review they need not reply. It won't help...

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Amit R, General Manager at Holiday Inn New London - Mystic Area, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
Dear steve375,

Thank you for your time for this review. We recently finish our multi million renovation. We appreciate you are recognizing our product is at par with all the hotels you been to.

I am terribly sorry for the experience in the hotel bar, rest assured it's not something normal we do here. We are taking your comments very seriously & working on fixing the issue with the line level associate.

We truly patronage your business & hope to be at your service again.

Warm regards

Travellers are raving about these New London hotels

Rochester, New Hampshire, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

We were an hour early for our check-in and asked where we could find lunch. We had two children with us. The girl at the counter did not have a clue what was available outside of the hotel. The area is quite dismal. Also, my husband nearly was badly hurt when he sat in the desk chair in our room and fell over backwards because the chair was not put together properly. Fortunately, he was not hurt. He is 75 years old. The breakfast in the morning was good, but the lone waitress was overwhelmed. She was very good, but she could only do so much. It was also an expensive breakfast. We were just passing through the area, but I don't expect I would stay at your hotel again. Also, there was no room darkening shade. The light beamed in early and the clock did not work.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Amit R, Manager at Holiday Inn New London - Mystic Area, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. We highly value views, opinions and feedback from our guests, as this allows us to constantly improve the service we provide.

I'm truly sorry to hear that there were aspects of your stay that were not satisfactory. We are working with the housekeeping and maintenance department to investigate these issues and make sure this does not happen in the future. All of our rooms have room darkening shades and we will be sure to check if there are any inconsistancies.

Thank you again for this feedback. We are constantly looking to improve our service and this information in very valuable to this effort. We hope to better serve you in the future.
Gerenzano, Italy
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

I stayed for two night in august 2013.the hotel was already completed,my room was good and wide.the problem was the fact that the hotel was extremely expensive if we think that new london isn't london o new york.furthemore breakfast wasn't even included and this is a shame.at the reception i found a Young black girl pretty cold and not much helpful.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank daniele c

I'm truly sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations for the value of our hotel. As a Holiday Inn Standard, we offer free breakfast for kids staying at our facility.

Thank you again for this feedback. This information in very valuable to us. We hope to better serve you and our other guests in the future.
Plainville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

Excellent hotel! As a frequent traveler, I feel that a room is basically, a room. What a treat to have a newly renovated room. I almost felt like I could walk around in my bare feet, as the carpets are all new.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank quackle

We are very happy to hear about your experience at our facility. We take pride in our newly renovated space and love that you have expressed your satisfaction!

We look forward to having you stay with us in the future!
Thank you.
Hampton Inn - Groton
Hampton Inn - Groton
#3 of 14 in Groton
BEST WESTERN Olympic Inn

Been to Holiday Inn New London - Mystic Area? Share your experiences!