“Spacious”

Holiday Inn New London - Mystic Area
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in New London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 27 July 2014

The rooms at the Holiday Inn New London are large and spacious. Our room was clean and recently updated. The A/C worked like a charm (but kept cycling on an off all night which woke me up regularly). The value is good for the money.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 17 July 2014

I recently stayed (July 10-13, 2014) at the Holiday Inn in New London and thought it was a fine hotel. If possible I would give it 3.5 stars. I was working during sailfest and my company put me up at the Holiday Inn. The staff was very accommodating, we had special parking needs for our vehicles which they met, and a few other concerns we had were taken care of very quickly. I thought the rooms were quite large with Flat Screen TVs, cable, and HBO. The hotel also had free wireless; however it was slow, very difficult to stream Netflix or similar websites. There was no free continental breakfast which would have been nice.
Location was definitely the biggest plus about this hotel. It’s just a few blocks from the Ferry, Train Station, The Pier where sailfest takes place, and the bars and restaurants on Bank Street. If you are looking for a hotel for sailfest so you don’t have to fight through 2 hours of traffic Saturday night after the fireworks, I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn New London - Mystic Area, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Dear decaf86,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We are so pleased you liked the fine location of our hotel in the area. Please allow us to apologize for the shortfalls you have experienced and any inconvenience you may have encountered that did not live up to your expectations. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and we hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Anthony M

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Don't hesitate to stay at this property. It has everything you'll need. Our room had comfy beds, microwave, Wi-Fi, fridge and was a spacious room with 2 Queens. Asked for extra towels, they were at our door in probably 5-10 minutes. Nice pool, near what we needed to be near: beach, aquarium. However, I would not recommend eating at the restaurant in the hotel. We were satisfied with breakfast there: eggs, waffles, home fries, bacon, sausage, juice, fruit and yogurt. But don't do dinner here. We tried twice and both times waited about an hour for our dinners. When they came (both times) no salad, no rolls. Even though we were asked twice what kind of dressing we'd like. There is ONE waiter/bartender/room service delivery person. They have one guy doing all of this. You will wait, and wait and wait.... And when it came, it was OK, not excellent. Do yourself a favor and order from Empire pizza. They delivered to us promptly, twice and way quicker than going downstairs to the hotel restaurant.With all that said, disregarding the restaurant, stay here, you'll be comfortable and happy with your stay.

Room Tip: We stayed on the third floor, near the vending and ice machines. No problems with noise at all.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We only stayed here because of the proximity to the ferry and would never return.
We had to turn the room's aircon off because it was so loud but we could still hear all of the other aircons through the night. The walls are thin and you can clearly hear your neighbours and the ice machine makes a thunderous noise - thankfully we were far enough away from that, but if you were in the room next to it you'd have problems. The pillows were comfortable though.
For $200 a night we expect a higher standard.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Elfinlouise
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn New London - Mystic Area, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear Elfinlouise,

Thank you for staying with us and for leaving a review of our property. I am pleased to know that our location worked for you needs.

I understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory due to the air condition unit and noise challenges. Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience these may have caused you. I have taken note of your comments and we will address these points to improve upon our service.

Again, thank you for staying with us and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Best Regards,

John O

Reviewed 21 June 2014

First off let me say the hotel itself was well kept and Clean

With that being said the indoor heated pool isn't heated the room is but the water is ice cold

Now to the problems my stay was a two week stay on the first day after checking in as I was leaving to check out the area on my day off I noticed the door want securing when I close it I didn't need a key to get back in I had to slam the door shut top get it to work right

I let the front desk know and left with my group this was the second day of my stay (sunday June 8th) after I returned maintenance showed up to look at my door never caught this guys name but he jiggled the handel seen the problem himself then got it working said he would be back and about 30 minutes later brought the operations manager up who told the guy to go see if they had a spare lock but he did tell me since he didn't see the problem he didn't think there was one

They never followed up with me to let me know they weren't going to change the lock

But when I left that night for work it shut just fine and did so till Monday night when I left it didn't shut right I let the front desk know again who told me they had no such note on my room (427) I watched the clerk that helped me write the note I also informed him to have maintenance there before noon so I could get some sleep for work

I fell aspleep when I got back early that day (Tuesday) around 11 when I was woken up to a banging on my door at 2 in the afternoon the maintenance person same guy from before again he just jiggled the handle and left, I fell back asleep and was woken up at 3 to the phone ringing the front desk to let me know the lock would be replaced when a new one came in, I fell back asleep thinking ok no more interruptions at 4 the maintenance man knocked on my door again to let me know the same thing the front desk had told me (by this point my room should have been switched but I was way to tired to care)

Wednesday morning at about 1130 I had a knock on my door from maintenance this time the man introduced himself as Ronnie he said he came back from a few days off saw the note and asked if it was alright if he took a look he would not disturb me (he kept his word) he had the lock apart lubricated and deburred in no time we talked while he worked and told me of some good barbecue nearby and left

I left that night and the door was still busted but was easier to get shut the ladies at the front desk called Ronnie who said he would fix it as soon as I came back from work

The next day (Thursday) I went up to my room the problem happened right out the gate this morning so I called the front desk and asked them to send Ronnie up and that I wanted to speak to their GM Ronnie came right up but I never saw their GM just got a call from the front desk apologizing for the inconvienence and asking what they could do for me ( I told them nothing I want my door fixed) Ronnie returned replaced the lock and the new one did the same thing so they had to switch my room so Ronnie went and got my new room keys set the thermostat in the new room to what I had my room set to even helped me take over my luggage informed me thefront desk put 25000 points on my IHG rewards membership and left he went above and beyond any of the other hotel staff I had delt with so far even the front desk though a wonderful woman with a nice smile was extremly helpful and called Ronnie to see when he could fix the lock in the morning

That was my first week now heres my tip DO NOT USE the on site washer and dryer the dryer does not dry I ran it twice and my clothes were still WET not damp mind you but wet the same thing happened to someone else in my party the next day they never put an out of order sign on the dryer other than that my next weeks stay was uneventful

I never did get that talk with the GM but hey maybe he was busy

The moral of the story if you need maintenance for anything ask for Ronnie by name he is a wonderful employee

Room Tip: Don't go for the view unless you like looking at the projects
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank JKreena
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn New London - Mystic Area, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear JKreena,

Thank you for your good comments regarding our hotel and for taking the time to post your review. It is regrettable that our pool facility and bedroom door were not able to live up to your expectations. On the other hand, I am glad to know that our hotel staff was able to attend to your concerns during your recent stay.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and we are looking forward to the chance of providing you with an exceptional experience in the future.

Faith R

Reviewed 21 June 2014

This is a very good Holiday Inn in downtown New London, a very short drive to Mitchell College. Our room was large, clean, updated, with a comfy mattress. Exercise room was fine. Breakfast was not included in our rate, and we did not sample the restaurant and bar in the hotel. Staff were helpful and friendly. It's walking distance to Amtrak. The hotel is also a block from "Whale Oil Row" -- a row of historic houses now occupied, its seems, by lawyers. Worth a look. A courthouse is also nearby. The streets were pretty empty of pedestrians at night, but the neighborhood looked fine. We didn't have a problem walking to an Italian restaurant a block away for dinner.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We used this hotel for our overnight stay from SFO to NYC flight and way to Boston. Nothing special, just like any typical HI. There is not much to do in the town. The town of Mystic is about 10 miles from New London to spend a couple of hours of shooting the breeze.

Stayed: June 2014
#4 of 5 in New London
Howard Johnson Inn Mystic
Holiday Inn Express Mystic
SpringHill Suites Mystic Waterford

Been to Holiday Inn New London - Mystic Area? Share your experiences!