“Making a Comeback”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in New London
Gambrills, Maryland
“Making a Comeback”
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Following a period of neglect and decline, a new owner and management team are doing their level best to bring the hotel back to the standards one expects when traveling. The reception area has been redone and is well appointed. My wife and I were cordially greeted by the front desk staff and escorted to our suite. A staff member assisted us in getting our luggage to the room. The hallways and room were newly carpeted. The bathroom appeared to have been completely redone including new fixtures and a granite counter top. Towels and linens for our king size bed were changed daily and the room was tidied up during our absence. The rooms and suites have been prepared for flat screen TVs which are expected to be installed soon. The hotel is located minutes from all of the major attractions in the area and access to I-95 in both directions is great. A continental breakfast was more than sufficient to get us started on our daily excursions. The swimming pool and spa were closed for repairs, but were close to reopening. Granted, there are still areas that need a little TLC, but the owner and managers should be given an "A for effort" regarding the comfort of their guests. We definitely would recommend a stop at the Clarion New London and believe you would not be disappointed.

Opa and Gramster from Maryland.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Virginia
Reviewed 27 May 2013

I spent two nights here on Memorial Day weekend. This hotel is showing its age on the exterior. The front desk breezeway is damaged from an apparent truck collision with the ceiling. I had a King non-smoking room (614). The room was clean,the bed was comfortable, and had ample towels. All systems (A/C, plumbing, lights, etc.) were in working order. The sink drain was a little slow. This room had some peeling wall paper around the window was was a bit dusty.

Overall, the hotel hallways smelled musty, there is no lounge/bar, and the common areas are a bit barren. They do offer a continental breakfast which i did not take advantage of.

I got the feeling that this hotel was having financial problems.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 May 2013

The Clarion New London is easy on and off the highway, without the highway noise. The rooms were a bit dated, with old tube tv's and furniture that was clean and in good repair. The pillows were small (oddly so). There was a fridge in the room (something that is becoming more of a rarity), vending and ice conveniently down the hall near an exit. The complimentary continental breakfast, though unremarkable, was unexpected (thanks!). In case you are a fan, there is an OutbackSteakhouse across the parking lot.

The indoor pool was out of service when we visited, but looked nice from the outside.

I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to casual visitors, tourists, families or business folks.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank upstate102
Colebrook, New Hampshire
Reviewed 25 May 2013 via mobile

Most Clarion hotels offer so much more for same or lower price...

This hotel clearly need some improvement and remodeling...

However, I was please with customer service, free suite upgrade...

Carpet, mattress and especially old big box tv should be replaced (hopefully soon).

Breakfast need improvement as well... Very very weak!!!!

I can't believe paying as much as $100 a night for so little and this Clarion is unfortunately comparable to a low grade Quality Inn... Or other cheap hotel...

Wifi Internet was ok... Working on and off all the time :-(

Not my best experience... Great customer service at the front desk though ;-)

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank benoitleblanc
Reviewed 17 May 2013

Very much in need of maintenance .... Beds are old and uncomfortable bathrooms very small. The toilet sits so low to the floor and was loose! Vending machines didn't work. Hard to regulate temperature in room

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Annmash

Travellers are raving about these New London hotels

Greenville, Rhode Island, United States
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I made last minute weekend plans to go and spend the night at the Mohegan Sun or Foxwoods Casino . Both hotels were outrageously priced (supply and demand), so I thought I'd check nearby hotels for a lower rate. I did find a room at the Clarion in New London, CT for $124. When I arrived, there was only one person working the check-in counter and the line was ten deep. After a long wait to finally check in (and having seen a couple of people with immediate room key and room assignment issues), I crossed my fingers and hoped for the best. When I opened the door to the room, I immediately saw a big tear in the curtain, the TV was very outdated and the refrigerator was one step from the scrap yard. The bed was reasonable but the pillows were undersized. Despite appearances, the room was clean. Next time I will plan ahead.

Room Tip: Plan ahead of time and secure a room closer to the casino at a reasonable rate or go to the casino d...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jsepulveda
Patchogue, New York
Reviewed 29 April 2013

I read all the reviews before booking and I have to say that for a hotel that is currently being run by the bank, they try real hard. The staff was very nice, we arrived early and although the night before they were full they were able to provide a room earlier. The room did not smell and was very clean. We had a room in the building across from the lobby. I was concerned as I normally do not book hotel on the highway, but this hotel is set back and I could not hear I-95. The breakfast was plain, but if I want a cooked breakfast I either go out or stay at a hotel that serves a cooked breakfast (and costs more per night). Our concert was at Mohegan April 28th and it was so easy to get there and back, a big plus in my book. There is also an Outback restaurant at the entrance to the hotel and nearby shopping plazas. I rate this as an average hotel based on our experience. There are worse hotels out there. The tv may be old, but we don't pick the hotel for the TV. It would also help that the hotel post that the pool was closed while the ownership is the bank.

Room Tip: We had a king room across from the lobby. I slept fine and I am a light sleeper. Room was bright a...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Hyatt Place Mohegan Sun
#2 of 4 in Uncasville
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,260 reviews
Days Inn & Suites Groton Near the Casinos

Been to Clarion Inn? Share your experiences!