“Great value accommodation in a beautiful part of Jamaica”

Golden Shore Beach Resort
Golden Shore Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Morant Bay
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Great value accommodation in a beautiful part of Jamaica”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012

Saint Thomas is one of the most interesting and beautiful corners of Jamaica. I visited for one night to get away from the heat and bustle of Kingston and to try to find out a bit more about the history of the Lyssons sugar plantation and its former owners as part of a bigger history research project that I'm working on. Golden Shore is right by the present-day town of Lyssons and next to the site of the old plantation of the same name, so I chose this as my place to stay and was not at all disappointed.

This is not an expensive place to stay. I was extremely impressed with the room rate and with the cost of the food. The room was simple but very comfortable indeed, more than big enough, with a good bathroom, and cable TV. More importantly that all of that, you can hear muffled sound of the waves breaking softly on the shore as you drift off to sleep! The staff were efficient and friendly, and I was lucky enough to meet and chat with the owner, who was welcoming and helpful when it came to finding out about who best to speak to in the local area about my research. The food was also very good. They will cook what you want for you when you need it (within reason, of course!), and what you get - essentially - is good home cooking for about the price of a take-out meal in the UK.

The beach here is beautiful and right next to the hotel. The sea is fantastic for a swim, and the scenery from and around the beach is sublime: a world away from the high-rise hotels which are familiar scars on the north-coast landscape in tourist resorts like Ocho-Rios or Montego Bay. People here are also very friendly and laid back. There is none of the hustle and hassle associated with Kingston or the more touristy resorts (even in Negril, which is more relaxed in my experience than the north coast).

Getting into Morant Bay from Golden Shore is easy and cheap via the route taxis that go along the main coastal road. In Morant Bay you can visit sites associated with the infamous 1865 Morant Bay Rebellion and its bloody repression, one of the most important episodes in the history of Jamaica, and a significant event in the history of the British Empire. I took a taxi into the hills to Stony Gut, where there is a memorial to Paul Bogle, a Jamaican National Hero and leader of the 1865 rebellion. I had no trouble making this trip, even on a Sunday, and met interesting, helpful, and friendly people when I chose to walk some of the way back to Morant Bay from Stoney Gut.

Overall, I would really recommend Golden Shore, particularly if you are travelling alone or as a couple on a bit of a budget. You can spend days on the beach or use it as a jumping off point for trips into the local hills, into the Blue Mountains, or to Morant Bay. As a bolt-hole for a quick and reasonably priced weekend getaway from Kingston, it was perfect!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank CaribbeanHistory

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
New Britain, Connecticut
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2012

staff very rude especially the housekeepers, they do not clean the rooms
complaning dosent help.

Room Tip: there were no comfortable rooms, the first room i got waswe had to change due to flooding
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sonia s
Manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2011

Should you be partially laid back and not seeking any frills then you will be delighted with this hotel. It has a beautiful setting at the beach with pleasant buildings and well tended gardens. Rooms are cleaned daily and my standard room had a tv and fridge with wash basin and shower room. Wifi is available at and around the al fresco bar location. Food which is tasty and wholesome requires to be ordered from the menu at the al fresco restaurant by 4pm for dining the next day. Each morning after breakfast I would take a stroll to a village shop nearby to get supplies and top up my fridge and then take to the beach for a nice swim in the very large lagoon.. No excitement here but a really great place to lose it all and read a book. I stayed for three nights and given the opportunity would return again. My thanks to Owner and staff.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank ExpatPaul
Madras, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2011

This was my tenth trip to Jamaica and this southwest section of the island. I believe that I have finally found the perfect hotel for me. I have stayed with friends in Jamaica and I have stayed in hotels in Ocho Rios, Runaway Bay, and Kingston. I am one of those who enjoys experiencing Jamaica itself and I am not into frills and all-inclusive resorts. For me, this hotel was perfect! I will return and stay here and I would recommend it to friends.

First: I like Morant Bay because it is a lively Jamaican community with lots of character. We enjoyed going into town for patties, to the bank, or just to browse the fruits and veggies at the open market. It was about two U.S. dollars to take a taxi to town and the taxis can be found on the highway that is less than 1/2 mile walk from the hotel. Taxis will gladly meet you at the hotel if you call.
The walk to the highway was a nice residential road with goats, chickens, and pleasant neighborhood folks and school children..

The hotel itself is great. It cost us about 60 U.S. dollars per night. We had a room with two beds and good air conditioning. I had never had a hot shower in Jamaica (and usually appreciated brisk cold ones) but this hotel had some kind solar heating system for their water so I could have fairly warm shower in the afternoon. Our room looked out over the sandy beach and ocean. We saw beautiful sunsets every evening. We swam every day during our five day stay.

The grounds around the hotel were lovely. The groundskeeper took a great deal of pride in his work.

This hotel is not plush but very comfortable. The bar was simple and beautiful, with plants and tile, and looked out over the water. Local Jamaican business folks seemed to meet at the bar on weekends. We could order meals when we wanted to eat at the hotel and they were very good Jamaican meals. The cost was between three and six u.s. dollars per meal. If I wanted just toast and coffee for breakfast, it was only two US dollars. They always served an alternative American breakfast for those that don't care for Jamaican breakfasts. I love ackee, yams, dumplings, etc for breakfast.

If you like plush towels, high grade sheets, and staff who are constantly wanting to carry your bags, this is not the hotel for you. But, if you want peace,quiet, safe surroundings, a clean room, real Jamaican food, swimming, and sand, I highly Golden Shore.

One more thing: while we were at this hotel, we got to know a group of college students (nurses) who were staying there. The college used the hotel for their program every year and I noticed that the hotel accomadated them by giving them a meeting space and group meals together. If I were to bring a large group to Jamaica, I think this hotel would be perfect.
If you have any more questions about this hotel or this area, feel free to call me at janet.narum@gmail.com

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank jaypoo
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2010

This place came with such great recommendation by a Jamaican friend of mine. However, it was a total disappointment. First to begin with to book the room it was totally unprofessional...since the booking was done around 10:00pm it was done through a tiny window with no regards to the guest. We were given room 27...oMG...the bed was a full size bed ...way too small for two adults and was was extremely uncomfortable ..the bed creaked at the slightest movement. The air conditioner was on the highest and still there was no cool air much less cold air. The ceiling light played winkey blinkey...blinking on and off when the switched was turned on... The bed side lamps were without lamp shades so the bright bare light bulbs were starring back at you. The room door was a total farce as the lock could be picked by a hairpin ....and it was also broken. I did not feel safe one bit during the two night stay.

The location of the room was the highlight of the trip because we had the most beautiful unobstructed view of the sea. The sound of the waves gently lapping against the shore in the stillness of the night was heavenly and intoxicating... The beach is beautiful to bathe although there should be a sign warning guests about the sudden drop off when entering the water...fell and hurt my knee in the water....

The hotel is not a hotel but a local motel ....better presentation needed

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cweetrini
marley2008
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2010

We stayed at Golden Shore recently and have mixed feelings about our stay.

The Good
We stayed in a superior room and the view of the sea from our balcony was amazing. This was a pleasure in the morning to wake up and sit and admire the view. The bed was very big and comfortable. The room was a very good size.

The food from this hotel was one the best that we ate from the island. The kitchen staff definitely knows how to please their customers and the price was very reasonable.

The locals outside the resort were very friendly and although the hotel is situated at the end of a very quiet road, we would often walk to the local shop and never felt intimidated.

The hotel is used by Jamaicans from other parts of the island and again all were friendly and polite.

The bar area is a big plus for the hotel and is situated right next to the beach. Andrea (one of the bar staff) was very friendly and a nice face to have around on your holiday.

The Bad points
The rooms are not cleaned thoroughly for example
: The table cloth on the table in our room was not changed for the whole two weeks, despite tea / coffee stains.
: The floor in the bedroom and bathroom was not mopped everyday, whilst they did at least sweep up, the floor was stained and dirty.
: The bathroom shower curtain had some previous stains on and should have been replaced.
: The bathroom mat was grubby and this again was not cleaned everyday.
: The air con was not that powerful and needed to be stayed on all day and night to keep the room reasonably cold. However at night the noise from the air con, if you are a light sleeper could keep you awake. Shame the room did not have the same model air con as the reception.
: The chairs in the room were grubby / stained.
: The hotel only accepts cash to pay for accommodation, meals and drinks

I know you are probably thinking why didn’t you ask to change rooms, but we had the room with the best view and that wasn’t worth comprising on. I just walked round the room in my slippers and didn’t use the chairs,

Overall the owner Mr Hamilton needs to employ cleaners to clean the rooms thoroughly and not use his kitchen staff to clean the room as this was clearly not the thing that they excelled in. I would also suggest he either gets new chairs or gets the existing ones professionally cleaned.

The hotel was very reasonable priced, the majority of the staff were friendly and helpful and we think that the website pictures are an actuate reflection of the beautiful surroundings.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank marley2008
Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2010

This hotel was a good choice on our way to Kingston. Instead of entering Kingston we spend another night outside, located directly at the beach front. Continental breakfast is ok but was not included in the price. There is no swimmingpool but only a few meters into the ocean, so you can take a swim while waiting for breakfast. There is also a little bar, where can you can get a drink in the (not too late) evening. WLAN was for free, which is good if you have to arrange something or wanna check the departure of your flight.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Jamaica Inn
Jamaica Inn
#2 of 36 in Ocho Rios
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,215 reviews

Been to Golden Shore Beach Resort? Share your experiences!