“Fantastic location”
Review of Hopkins Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in New Preston
Hopkins Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 New Preston B&B and Inns
UK
“Fantastic location”
Reviewed 29 November 2011

You cannot fault the location of this lovely inn, over looking the lake. We stayed in the appartment away from the main building which was comfortably furnished & was great for three of us. We ate in the restaurant, portions were more than generous, and 2 of us were really delighted with our food. It was the end of the season, which was probably not the best time to go there, but we will almost certainly be back.

Room Tip: The appartment is not good if you have issues with stairs
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
8 Thank jackim

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Westport, Ct
Reviewed 6 September 2011

My husband, my adult daughter and I, visited Hopkins Inn & Restaurant this past weekend. It was a real treat. The Hopkins Inn & Restaurant is a charming old world inn that also serves delicious food...breakfast, lunch and dinner. The atmosphere is divine; calm and serene, with rolling hills and the wrap-around veranda dining allows wonderful views of the lake .The rooms are very nice and quite reasonable ( about $130/night-$300/night) I thought with the low rate the rooms would not be well appointed, however, they are quite nice, quaint and reminicent of a time past. The Hopkins Vinyard, located just across the road, provide regular wine tastings. The wines are very nice, compared to other wineries we have visited in the area. The management has it's act together and the staff is well versed on the wines and the grapes, how the flavors emerge and how they pare with specific foods. The cost is minimal...$6 per person for the wine flight, very reasonable and your wine glass is a gift. The tour of the wine making area is very well explained, informative and fun, and they host special events throughout the year. .The people visiting the inn and vinyard ranged in age from early 20's to seniors, it was a nice mix.
The loft area cafe at the vinyard is a delightful area to rest and relax with a glass of wine and enjoy the views. They offer a variety of cheese and meat dishes to compliment your choice of wine...there is a charge, of course, but quite reasonable. The shop is also quite nice with a variety of items for purchase for the wine enthusiast. We are already planning our next trip there and will stay at the inn and really get to enjoy the weekend. .

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Cara21Westport_Ct
Biella, Italy
Reviewed 28 August 2011

we really liked the place and the surroundings. Lovely place!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Francesca D
New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 July 2011

My family lives about a mile from Hopkins Inn and being from Manhattan and working at a hotel myself, I was very disappointed with the way I was treated as a hotel guest.

Checking in on Friday night was a disaster as there was a large wedding reception going on in the restaurant dining room right below the hotel rooms. The man on the microphone was so loud and there was no way I was going to sleep (despite it being after 10PM and having had a long train ride up to CT) so I went down to have a drink at the bar while I waited for the noise to die down. They informed me that the bar was closed, but a young lady named Amy took pity on me and got me a drink. There were other displaced hotel guests milling about the lobby area not able to sleep because of the racket. The management was non-existent and did nothing to appease us paying guests, such as offering us a discount/upgrade/amenity. I finally got to sleep after midnight when the last party guests had left. Upon checkout several days later, I was given attitude by the girl at reception, told I was offered nothing with my room, no breakfast, not even COFFEE! I asked if I could put a cup of coffee on my room charge since I wasn't carrying any cash and she said no because my father had used a check to pay for the room. My father told me later he had used a credit card and was furious at the story I told him and vowed not to have any family members stay there again.

It is quite apparent that the management cares nothing for the hotel guests, but rather only for the restaurant guests. Very disappointing indeed. Also to note: There is no TV, phone, or Internet! What year is this?

On the upside, the bed, bathtub and view in Room 17 are beautiful and immaculate. Shame about the customer service or I would have written a good review.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
11 Thank NYChotelgirl
tupelo ms
Reviewed 4 January 2011

This family-owned historic inn was the perfect location on Lake Waramaug. Though some may consider the decor somewhat dated, the small apartment was charming, impeccably clean, and perfectly comfortable for our family trip. This is a wonderful place with an interesting history.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
7 Thank Georgia84_11
New York City
Reviewed 15 October 2010

More known as a moderately priced special occasion dinner spot in the area than an inn...and I can see why. It's VERY dated. Basic to say the least. To book in advance, you need to send a check in the mail and once it goes through, they confirm your reservation. The women that checked us in had zero personality and didn't seem happy at all to see us. Meanwhile, it's not exactly a bustling inn that she can't even crack a smile. Restaurant wasn't busy either, so not sure why everyone was so cranky. She opend the door to our 'apartment' and handed us the keys immediately. No showing us anything. It's the beginning of fall, so the day was warm and the room hot. So we asked if there was air conditioning, and she said it'll get cool in the evening and left. Didn't even mention the standing plastic fan hidden in the closet. The pull out couch was awful, crooked and so dusty. The main bed was fine. There's no poin in the kitchen since the breakfast and food at the inn is pretty decent. Overall, a clean lodging, but if you expect The Mayflower Inn - this is not it. There were tons of cobwebs on the private stoop leading up to the entrance of the 'apartment', all filled with dead huge bugs. They couldn't even sweep it up once in a while? It's their most expensive room! I only recommend it for those who are ok with "rustic" "basic" overnight accomodations.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
6 Thank kzl1973
Peterborough, New Hampshire
Reviewed 31 August 2010

The Hopkins Inn is located on a hill overlooking a lovely lake. The terrace area is very nice, a great place to sit and have a drink or meal. We did not eat there, but it was packed both nights. The rooms are clean, spacious, and comfortable. Do not expect a TV or phone in your room (fine with me), and make sure to bring soap and shampoo, as they are short on amenities (I always pack my own, but others were a bit disappointed). My only complaint was regarding breakfast, which they don't start serving until 8:30am. We had activities planned, and needed to leave by 8 both mornings. It would be nice if they had a self serve coffee/juice offering.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
#2 of 3 in New Milford
Curtis House Inn
Curtis House Inn
#1 of 5 in Woodbury

Been to Hopkins Inn? Share your experiences!