“Great view of the lake - reasonably priced accomodation”
Review of Hopkins Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in New Preston
Hopkins Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 New Preston B&B and Inns
New York
“Great view of the lake - reasonably priced accomodation”
Reviewed 24 March 2008

We stayed at the Hopkins Inn for two nights. It was a great place to stay for the weekend, and was exactly what we were looking for - reasonably priced, quiet and scenic.

The Inn has a marvelous view over Lake Waramaug. You could see the lake from the window in our room. The room itself was comfortable, albeit basic.

We ate in the restaurant one evening. The food was pretty good, and the view was great.

Overall, this is a comfortable place to stay. There certainly are a few fancier places to stay around the lake (Boulders is one example), but they are considerably more expensive. This was a nice balance.

Stayed March 2008
2 Thank Greenblat

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
CT
Reviewed 7 August 2007

My wife and I had been to the Hopkins Winery many, many times, It is right across the street from the Inn. They are not connected in any way. We always thought it would be a nice place to stay, so we booked two nights a Saturday and a Sunday. We had traveled all day and our final leg of the trip was through the beautiful hills of Litchfield. When we arrived at the Inn, we were just barely greated with a smile or a hello, we were shown to our room which was just at the top of the stairs. After we settled in we thought we would lie down for awhile before we went to dinner. I was never so annoyed at the noise, it was SO very loud and never ending from late afternoon up to 11:00 PM. It was NON-STOP. Banging chairs, dishes clashing, water glasses being banged together I could go on forever.
The beds were so-so, the small bathrooms we OK.
The wait staff were OK, but I must tell you, they have a clientle that is, in my eyes, rated from rich people to extremely rich people. If you don't drive in with a Mercedes, BMW, Lexus or any car that goes for more than $80,000 they won't even look at you.
The food at the restaurant was excellant.
When we checked out on Monday, they had the front door locked so you couldn't walk out that as they were "trimming" the gigantic chestnut tree, so we had to walk out through the bowels of the kitchen area. Sounds wonderful doesn't it, so was our stay.

• Stayed August 2004, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank TravelingManCt
Portland, OR
Reviewed 19 July 2007

I got to the Inn late (6:30) and they had left a key for me since I had called to tell them I'd be late. The key did not fit the room but it did fit the bathroom down the hall that I was supposed to use. It was a VERY hot and humid day and the tiny bathroom was like a sauna--no air circulation at all.

I called the number left with the key, and someone came right over. The room looked nice, but I decided I could not use a bathroom that was that hot. I am a bit surprised that they thought anyone could use a bathroom that had no air conditioning or air circulation. I asked for a different room and got a very nice room with an attached bathroom for only an additional $5.

Breakfast was not included but I ate at the restaurant and had a lovely breakfast with a very attentive waitress.

Perhaps there is more attention to the highly advertised/regarded restaurant than to the rooms/guests portion of the inn?

• Stayed July 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
4 Thank soupkitchenchef
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 9 April 2005

I stayed here in the summer of 2002 and loved it! While the accomodations are not luxurious by today's standards, it was like taking a step back in time to a simpler way of life. Contrary to the other reviewer who found the staff "uncaring", in my experience, they could not have been kinder and more accomodating. When I lost an earring outside on the patio at night, a waitress not only brought me a flashlight, but also took time to help me look for the earring. The setting of the inn (overlooking a gorgeous lake and mountains) is exquisite. The food at the inn's Austrian restaurant was fabulous. I would highly recommend it.. it would be wonderful anyway, but at the low, low price, it is an absolute steal!

• Stayed June 2002
13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 22 September 2003

don't get stuck here - either from bedsprings popping through the mattress or from their unprofessional, uncaring staff - besides poor room conditions (pointy bed springs, shower water that fluctuated from cold to hot to cold constantly, and noisy bathroom fan that made it sound like an airplane was in the room whenever the bathroom light was on) - the staff lied, changed it's refund policy capriciously and just gave us the royal shaft - it is the cheapest place to stay in the litchfield hills area - and now I know why

16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
#2 of 3 in New Milford
Curtis House Inn
Curtis House Inn
#1 of 5 in Woodbury

Been to Hopkins Inn? Share your experiences!